Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Which module to upgrade to? TD-25 or 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which module to upgrade to? TD-25 or 17

Hello. I currently have a Roland TD-11 kit, but I have never really been impressed with the sound of the kits. I am looking to upgrade to either a TD25 or a 17. Which is the better choice? I am running PD85 pads.

Not the TD-25. Search youotube for the 65drums Video comparison.

I personally doubt the upgrade to the TD17 is worth it. I stayed with the TD11 and invested in an Audio Interface and VST Software.
    Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads,Jobeky/ 2Box/Roland Triggers, Roland/Yamaha Cymbals: VH11, CY-12C, CY13R, PCY135, TD17 Module. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Why do you feel the need to "upgrade"? What's your buying criteria?
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by mapwd1702 View Post
        Hello. I currently have a Roland TD-11 kit, but I have never really been impressed with the sound of the kits. I am looking to upgrade to either a TD25 or a 17. Which is the better choice? I am running PD85 pads.
        VEX your TD-11
        TD-9 V2 (VEX'd), Roto-toms (8,10,12,14) on a collar-lock rack with internal DIY triggers, and Drum-tec real feel pro heads
        Triggered Sabian Quite tone cymbals

Comment

I would think a Strike Pro and 2 box drumit 3 would be alot better. The Mimic is the best if you have the budget. I do think the TD17 sounds better than the TD11 plus you can import samples.

Comment

second electrodrummer's post. your budget and what you're looking to get from the module help determine your choice, need to know what those are.

besides your suggestions will likely be

1. keep the 11, use VSTs.
            2. buy a TD-30/50 and use VSTs.
            3. sell your car/house/significant other and buy a pearl mimic.

none of which are necessarily bad options, but VSTs aren't going to be plug and play like a module would be if that's what you're hoping for, the mimic is super NOT cheap, and the 50 route is neither (i'd say the 30 isn't either but that's based on my budget which may not be yours).

personally i've seen zero reason to consider the 25 unless you really really want positional sensing. you can use VSTs and splitters with your 11 or the TD-17 will have better stock sounds (17's sounds based on current flagship td-50, 25 based on the 30) and similar features otherwise (besides positional sensing) to the 25 and is compatible with splitters whereas the 25 is not. and the 25 is more money than the 17.

so how big a kit are you using / want to use in the future, what do you use it for, what's your budget, and is the goal simply to improve the onboard sounds or are there other reasons you want to upgrade?
            Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

You probably not aware about the price. Td50 price is now 2500$ USD pearl mimic 2199$ USD regular price. you can get mimic at 1800-1900 with some finding. But using with VST I would recommend used TD-30-td-25 or td-11\ td-17.
              Last edited by Chris K; 05-23-19, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I vexed my TD-11 with the master 50 pack. I really have never been impressed with the 11. I like the bluetooth and the ability to import samples with the 17. I just bought a new 17, so I am going to sell the TD-11.

Comment

Originally posted by mapwd1702 View Post
                  I vexed my TD-11 with the master 50 pack. I really have never been impressed with the 11. I like the bluetooth and the ability to import samples with the 17. I just bought a new 17, so I am going to sell the TD-11.
                  Congrats, for the price it's good, you can layer internal sound and imports sound and mix them with internal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                    You probably not aware about the price. Td50 price is now 2500$ USD pearl mimic 2199$ USD regular price. you can get mimic at 1800-1900 with some finding. But using with VST I would recommend used TD-30-td-25 or td-11\ td-17.
                    i mean personally, all of those prices are way above what i would consider spending on something for a hobby unless i was playing paid gigs with the stuff. also i'm in canada so inflate those prices by at least 26% for the exchange rate, maybe more depending on what retailers are charging.

ex: cheapest TD-50 module on ebay right now is $3367 CAD. mimic is $2962. TD-30 there's one for $1885, most are more like $2600.
                    Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Differing thoughts. For me I want to practice and play one something that sounds as close to a acoustic drum kit so even though a hobby I would still pay for quality.
                      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

i mean i'd like a new car but my old one still runs. i'd absolutely love a TD-50, but i've got mortgage payments and a security fund to keep building up for when i need to have the roof re-done or replace the furnace or something.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
                          i mean i'd like a new car but my old one still runs. i'd absolutely love a TD-50, but i've got mortgage payments and a security fund to keep building up for when i need to have the roof re-done or replace the furnace or something.
                          Ha must admit my car is a banger but runs great. I have no interest in cars so donít put a lot of money into them. I agree with you though and it all depends where you are in life. When I first started with edrums (not my 1st edrums which were Simmons which cost a fortune and meant I couldnít afford to move out of my parents for 4 years!) ddrum were the big name but totally unaffordable to me. I had an alesis d4 and home built pads. These days I buy 2nd hand. My full td30 kit cost £1700. I could get new but choose not to waste that much money.
                          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I had the D4 also along with a set made from Remo practice pads and piezos

High end edrums may seem expensive, but acoustic drummers can spend just as much - often more. And don't get me started on guitarists...
                            Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

Working...
                            X