Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

KD-10 or A2E bass drum conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD-10 or A2E bass drum conversion?

i have a KD-85 kick pad for my kit that i'm not particularly fond of it. it's not awful (much better than the KD-8 i swapped it for) but it's still too bouncy compared to a real acoustic kit.

I've currently rented a TD-17 kit for a few weeks with the KD-10 mainly just to play with the module, but trying to the KD-10 was a nice plus. I find i like it quite a bit more than my KD-85 and am thinking of buying one. it's not quite like playing a regular acoustic either, but it's at least a degree closer.

However, i've also been thinking of doing an A2E conversion for appearance purposes, but wondering how close to a regular acoustic shell the mesh head will feel or if it will be more like my KD-85 is now? Also will I be able to use something like RT-30 mounted to the outside of the head or if i would need to mount something inside the kick drum itself for better response?

the KD-10 would probably cost me about $250 CAD to buy. there are a couple of 22" kick drums on kijiji for $20 or $40 and i can buy the RT-30 for ~$100. a 22" silent stroke head would be about $60. so $180-200 for A2E vs $250 for the KD-10. not sure what some inside the drum trigger would cost.

also not sure how weird a 22" kick will like my PD-85 toms and CY-8 and CY-13 cymbals.
    KD-10
    10.00%
    A2E conversion
    90.00%
    Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

A2E if you go with a better Mesh Head. I got 20", Drum Tec Design Mesh Head (2 ply) and the RT30K and I am very happy.

drumtec would most likely not be an Option in Canada, to try getting any 3 ply mesh headÖ

Why 22 Inches? Why not 20 or even 18?
    Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads,Jobeky/ 2Box/Roland Triggers, Roland/Yamaha Cymbals: VH11, CY-12C, CY13R, PCY135, TD17 Module. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Oh, and a good drum trigger for inside the bass drum Costs About 200 bucks (here in Europe)
      Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads,Jobeky/ 2Box/Roland Triggers, Roland/Yamaha Cymbals: VH11, CY-12C, CY13R, PCY135, TD17 Module. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

i would go 20" kick (18" would be 60 eur) https://www.musicstore.de/en_LU/EUR/...DRU0034902-000
        internal trigger 10 cm above beaters .. https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product/jo...rigger-system/
        triple ply mesh head 20" ..so that's 77,- (kick) + 80,- (trigger) Ī 55,- mesh head = about 225,- eur for a superkick .. (250 dollar)
        | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

IMO I would go with an acoustic conversion. That way you have total control over which trigger you use and can custom tailor it to the feel you desire. If you want less rebound on the kick I would look into UFO drums or similar trigger system that has a pad behind the head where the beater actually hits. It will reduce a lot of the bounce.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
            A2E if you go with a better Mesh Head. I got 20", Drum Tec Design Mesh Head (2 ply) and the RT30K and I am very happy.

drumtec would most likely not be an Option in Canada, to try getting any 3 ply mesh headÖ

Why 22 Inches? Why not 20 or even 18?
            that's just what's available for sale on the local equivalent to craigslist for relatively cheap ($40ish). rarely see anything 18 or 20 inch and when i do it's on a kit someone is asking actual money for and with the full kit.

basically an 18 or 20 means spending real money on a drum that was built to sound good when i don't need it to sound good if i'm silencing it with a mesh head and using a module to provide the sound. while i'd prefer 18-20, i can get a 22 for cheap then cheap is the preferred option.
            Roland TD-6v, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, 2x hart e-cymbals, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, PCY-130, CY-12R, an L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

If you play double bass I would stick with the conversion. I have the KD-10 with my AXIS pedals and it moves horribly. You have to keep the pedal off center in order for the pedals to hit the center and that forces it to wobble. Although even though it states it feels like an accoustic kit, it absolutely does not have the same feel and response.

Comment

I put a Vic Firth kite on my bass drum and taped a piezo to the inside of the batter head. Feels natural and no problems with triggering. Also super easy and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Aka Wayne View Post
                  I put a Vic Firth kite on my bass drum and taped a piezo to the inside of the batter head. Feels natural and no problems with triggering. Also super easy and cheap.
                  what's a vic firth kite?

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

what's a vic firth kite?
                    Vic Firth mute.

Comment

Vic Firth mute.
                      ah okay

did you tape the piezo directly to the head or did you put any foam or anything between the piezo and head?

tried this yesterday on my acoustic kick with a regular head, seems to trigger just fine. going to opt for this option to start since it's cheapest/easiest for now. think i'm going to pull the trigger on an xs-pro+ realhit kick drum head to go with it.

Comment

I just used a standard 3m double adhesive foam dot/circle. Put it on the brass side and taped directly to a regular aquarium drum head on the inside of the drum. Throw a drum mute on the other side and itís finished. My triggering is good enough that I havenít had an urge to mess with it. And Iíve changed everything else in my set up since starting my conversion.

Comment

Triggera Bix. Then it doesn't matter what you kick.
                          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I just used a standard 3m double adhesive foam dot/circle. Put it on the brass side and taped directly to a regular aquarium drum head on the inside of the drum. Throw a drum mute on the other side and itís finished. My triggering is good enough that I havenít had an urge to mess with it. And Iíve changed everything else in my set up since starting my conversion.
                            thanks wayne!

Comment

Working...
                            X