Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

20" Bass Drum Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20" Bass Drum Question

Hello, I'm just hoping to get some opinions on this.

Right now, I'm using my 22" bass drum for my electronic set. I have two bix's (double pedal) and a 3 ply head and I love the feel and playing on it.

I went back to my acoustics after a long layoff (in a townhome) with a 24" bass, and with the positioning of the toms I'm really missing the 22" bass drum.

I want to move the 22" back to my acoustic, and don't want to move the 24" to replace it on the electronic because of the tom positioning issue and also because I can't fine 3 ply heads for the 24". I got the 24" silent stroke and don't like the feel.

So, this evening I am going to look at a 20" bass drum that someone is selling in my area.

My question is, how is it going from a 22" to some of these smaller bass drums? I know the ATV adrum and Drum Tec Diablo are only 18" and people seem to do OK with it.

My worries are where the beaters are striking ( is that going to be weird?) as well movement. The 22" I'm using is an old Tama Superstar so it's pretty heavy. If I go to this no name 20" I want to make sure it stays in place.

Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated.
    Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

yes, 24" is a big drum.. .. and hurray for double pedals (imo..)
    20" for electronic kick ..is fine.. i don't know how you fix the toms ? rack or arms, but probably you'd look into that..
    the feel won't be much different from a 22" with mesh.. ..but an acoustic kick takes a little more effort playing..
    but since you have both, and switch around i don't see any problems ..
    i would place a trigger about 10 cm above beaters, on an e-kick.. so it shouldn't matter much when bass drum size changes 2"
    if you worry about movement.. ..with an e-kick you could place a 20 lbs weight plate inside.. for example..
    | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
      i would place a trigger about 10 cm above beaters,
      I won't need to worry about the trigger, the Bix has the triggers built into the beaters. I use kbrakes right now on the 22", I'm going to bring them with me to see if they fit on the spurs the 20" has. I don't want to get into weights in the bass drum, I haven't done that since my first set 35 years ago!
      Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

i have a 20" bass drums that i converted and plays and feels great with a real feel 3 ply head
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
          i have a 20" bass drums that i converted and plays and feels great with a real feel 3 ply head
          Good to hear! So, I bought it. I met the guy at a set place on the street so I brought a bass drum pedal with me. I was surprised it hit just about dead center.

It seemed so small I had to measure it when I got home to make sure it actually was a 20' (which it was).

I ordered a 3 ply head from Billy Blast that should be here in a couple of days. I'm actually thinking of getting another one (20") and playing two bass drums so I can use the two single pedals I have just sitting there doing nothing and won't have to move the double pedal back and forth between the acoustics and electronics.

Comment

great! glad it worked out, enjoy!
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
            X