Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

TM6 Pro Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM6 Pro Users

Any users of the TM6?
    With no music store within 3 hours of me, I'm looking to get some feedback please.

Astonished by the poor demos of this online which are not helping me decide whether to get another SPD-SX or a TM6 Pro.

So....
    What are the 500 One-Shot sample like?
    Is there a list of them somewhere?
    Will my old RT-10 triggers work okay with the TM-6?
    How are your own samples when loaded, just a single layer?
    Anyone replaced their SPD-SX onstage with the TM6?

Any additional information welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there. Iíve had my TM-6 Pro since June last year, and I gig it regularly. I use it instead of mics for sound reinforcement on my acoustic kit using RT-30 triggers for pub gigs through a PA.

I've previously used the following live:

SPD-S - used for loops, backing tracks and sound effects, with triggers on my kick and snare. It was a game changer.
    SPD-Sx - used as above, benefitting from the extra outputs, upgraded memory, FX, and the onboard click. Onboard sounds were basic when first released, so youíll need a sample library for best results. Sold it after a change of band left it unused for a year.
    TM-2 - much later on started a cover band and needed backing tracks and percussion again, so I bought this. Triggered my kick and snare for sound reinforcement, and added a PD-8 for percussion.
    TM-6 Pro - this came along and let me trigger my whole 6 piece kit, use the PD-8, play backing tracks, and gave me four outputs and a click again.

So to answer your questions:

The Roland samples are typical Roland - very polished and processed, cover all the bases but not very natural sounding. The additional one shot samples are fantastic. The acoustic drums are real drums sampled in a pro studio with no processing, and cover every base I can think of. I have used them to recreate the original drum sounds on all the songs we cover, and that ranges from modern rock drums, through 70s single headed drums to 60s dry drums. All are covered. Thereís also lots of great cymbal and percussion samples, as well as custom electronic sounds, but I havenít used many of those. My opinion is the non Roland one shot samples are the best thing theyíve done in ages - before I have always used my own sample library Iíve built up over 20 years instead of Roland samples, and Iíve not imported one single sound into the TM-6 Pro as it has everything I could ever need already.

Thereís no list, and it would take ages to make one. Every drum, cymbal, percussion and electronic sound type has many different samples. More than youíll ever need.

There are preset trigger input settings for every Roland pad and trigger past and present, so yes. The RT-30 triggers are a massive improvement over the RT-10s though. Iíve owned both.

You can layer two samples to both trigger simultaneously, or to velocity fade. Any combination of Roland, one shot and user samples can be combined. The only time I layer is on the snare, where Iíve found combining the onboard Roland Supernatural snare samples (theyíre samples, not modelled) with a one shot snare sample makes for a more realistic sound and reduces machine gunning.

Yes, I have. If you want to trigger most or all of your drums with very good one shot samples with lots of editing options, while enjoying all the benefits of adding pads, multiple outputs, FX, backing tracks and clicks, get the TM-6 Pro. If itís more important that you can trigger multiple backing tracks, loops and samples live with real time control of FX and tempo matching, and you can live with two stereo or four mono triggers max, get the SPD-Sx.

I hope you donít mind the long answer. The TM-6 Pro is a fantastic tool, and I have never regretted buying it, even if it was a bit overpriced (itís £100 cheaper now). Roland have very badly promoted and undersold it since itís release, I suspect because it is too competitive against the TD-17 and TD-25 modules, and the non Roland one shot samples put Rolandís own samples to shame. The SPD-Sx is also very good, itís just a different tool.

No matter which you buy, enjoy it!

Comment

What a great review, I have also been looking for someones similar thoughts on this product online and finding nothing.....

Thanx Unkle Kev.....

Comment

Originally posted by Unkle Kev View Post
        Hi there. Iíve had my TM-6 Pro since June last year, and I gig it regularly. I use it instead of mics for sound reinforcement on my acoustic kit using RT-30 triggers for pub gigs through a PA.
        Excellent information Uncle Kev, thank you!
        The lack of audio demonstrations on the one shot samples has been what has been holding me back.

Roland have always been the market leaders in marketing, but boy have they dropped the ball on the TM6 Pro - some of the videos are wholly damaging in my view.

Would you have any audio or video of the one shots in use?

I moved away from Roland 6-7 years back (sorry everyone) and went to 2Box with my own expanded SD library.

Yes I could use that for live and did for many years, but I want a small footprint kit with something that can run BTs (as individual tracks), but also beef up the small acoustic kit sounds as well as replicate studio track sounds.

I was set to buy the Alesis Strike Multipad as that seems to combine the SPD-SX, SPD-30 and TM2 and offer still more, but delays in supplies are now causing me issues, so I revisited the options and the TM6 PRO is a strong alternative / different option. It's extreme portability to shows with onsite backline is also an appealing factor.

Thanks again!
        Last edited by Cuban; 05-03-19, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban View Post

I was set to buy the Alesis Strike Multipad as that seems to combine the SPD-SX, SPD-30 and TM2 and offer still more, but delays in supplies are now causing me issues, so I revisited the options and the TM6 PRO is a strong alternative / different option. It's extreme portability to shows with onsite backline is also an appealing factor.

Thanks again!
          The down side of tm6 it has limited memory far below spdsx and miles below alesis strike multipad, this can cause problem if you have large library. I would suggest to read the manual on tm6 to know everythings.

Comment

I was talking rubbish re the sound list. Download the TM-6 pro Data PDF file from the Roland website and it lists all samples (and FX).

You can hear it on this mobile footage. The kit is going through a Behringer X Air XR12 with 1) kick, 2) snare, 3) all toms, and 4) backing tracks and percussion all on their own Direct Out to the desk for individual mixing. Its all going through E/V ZLX15s with no subs. Trust me the kick samples have massive presence, which I plan to use when we buy our new PA with subs!

https://www.facebook.com/showdownban...9978153765562/

https://www.facebook.com/vemarfox/vi...29914763702944

PS Are you the same Cuban who hung out on the MD forum? I miss it, spent hours a day on it in its heyday!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

The down side of tm6 it has limited memory far below spdsx and miles below alesis strike multipad, this can cause problem if you have large library. I would suggest to read the manual on tm6 to know everythings.
              From Roland TM-6 Pro website:

"Number of user sample: Maximum 1,000 (includes factory preloaded 500 user samples)
              Sound length (total): 48 minutes in mono, 24 minutes in stereo
              File formats that can be loaded: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16/24 bits)"

For the standard SPD-Sx:

"Data 10,000* Including preload wave data.
              Approx. 360 min. in stereo (720 min. in mono).
              *Since the internal memory included with the SPD-SX contains preload data, the available sampling time will be less than the time above."

If you need more than 1,000 samples in internal memory, go for the SPD-Sx as it is the best tool for that need.

I'd personally never need more than 1,000 samples on board. The only reason I'd ever have to import a sample would be to replicate a specific sound, and as the 500 on board one shot samples are so excellent (not to mention the other 268 V-Drums samples on ROM memory), I've always managed to replicate any sound I've needed so far using just those.

The TM-6 Pro takes up to 32Gb SDHC cards and it plays backing and click tracks directly from the card, so that makes playing backing tracks and loops easy and with more playback memory than the SPD-Sx; but you can't trigger one shot samples from the SDHC card, only from internal memory, and the SPD-Sx has much more powerful loop functions for real time on the fly creativity.

As Chris said, the manual will tell you its strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

Unkle Kev, can TM-6 play loop wav files like spd-sx ? and have mute-group functions ? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                  Unkle Kev, can TM-6 play loop wav files like spd-sx ? and have mute-group functions ? thanks.
                  You can use the Song playback to play files as one shot or loops. You don't get anywhere near the level of functionality of the SPD-Sx looping tools, and it can only play one file at a time.

Comment

Can you trigger backing tracks from the SD while having the onboard one shot samples live on your set or is it only either use the SD or on-board, but not both at the same time?

Comment

You can play samples via the triggers while the backing track/loop plays. The triggers only play samples in the onboard memory and never from the SD card. Backing tracks/loops and their associated click tracks are only ever played directly from the SD card and are never saved in the onboard memory. Theyíre basically two separate systems.

Backing tracks/loops are stored on the SD card as mono or stereo WAV files (they have to be 44.1kHz). They are played in real-time off the SD card by selecting the file on the screen, and either using the Play button or stinking a pad with Song Start assigned to it (only Pad 5 allows you to assign control functions for some unknown reason). So any WAV file can be played with any Kit. I use the buttons on the unit to select the track then start it, the whole sequence takes less than 10 seconds.

You can set each WAV file to play as one shot or loop, and set itís own volume level. You can assign it to a Direct Out or the Master Outs. You can set its tempo so the system can match the onboard click to it. You can also create a custom WAV click track file to pair with each WAV backing track, and the system will start them both simultaneously while letting you route both sounds to separate outputs (I make custom click WAV files for my backing tracks, where I have standard click sounds with audio queues like ďverseĒ ďchorusĒ ďsongs ends in 4 3 2 1Ē etc). This means you can create click tracks with tempo changes if needed, as opposed to using the onboard click that has one tempo per Kit. This can also be used as a cheat to let you run two backing tracks at once if you wanted to.

Also worth knowing is: you can give each kit a tempo so it automatically sets the onboard click tempo when you select it; you can create set lists of kits to step through in order; you can change all six outputs to single mono or stereo pairs in any combination you want; you can assign any of the six stereo triggers, the backing track/loop and the onboard click to any output; you can give each stereo trigger its own individual FX/EQ/compression AND give each Kit its own FX/EQ/compression....

Read

Comment

I am upgrading to this from a TM2 I will be triggering 3 x PD85 and 30 series triggers on my A kit
                        Noble & Cooley a kit

Comment

Youíll not regret it.

My acoustic hybrid setup is Input 1) RT-30K on kick 2) RT-30HR on snare 3) RT-30H on Tom 1 4) RT-30H on Tom 2 5) RT-30Hís on Tomís 3 and 4 using Roland splitter cable 6) PD-8 for percussion.

Comment

I have pro studio samples from my brother they sounded really good in the 2 now with layering it will sound better and have enough to trigger all of my kit before was 2x PD85 snare & kick. I am getting it pre owned from my local L&M for 400 CAD! Minus my trade in for the 2. It's a no brainer! This is my beast! Im more or less doing the same thing 1 2& 3 will be PD85's 4 will be 30HR on snare. The 30H I had on snare (since I was using 4X mono pads on 2) will go on tom a second 30H will go on FT and 30K on bass drum.. 1 input for tom & floor will be split.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Bobvan; 05-04-19, 10:23 AM.
                            Noble & Cooley a kit

Comment

With it being based on the TD-50 engine, does the song player work the same way? On the 50, you have no way of sorting your songs into a set list unless you name/number the files yourself. Also, when you have the song and click file linked, the click file still comes up in the song list and you have to skip past it to get to the next one. Does that still happen on the TM-6?

Comment

Working...
                              X