Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Seeking Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Advice

Hello everyone,

I'd like to start off by saying that I am very new to electronic drumming and that I am excited of all the possibilities that it can open up for me and that this is one very good forum!

Secondly I have a few questions...

I am giving serious thought to buying some triggers and a drum module for my current acoustic drumkit. A few facts...

-I want to trigger the drums only (Yamaha Power V 5pc) and mic the cymbals seperately, so cymbal sound in the module is not of huge concern.
    -I, like everyone else, is looking for a good module that is cost efficient. But I am willing to pay more money for a better quality unit if need be.
    -I play metal/hard rock types of music, so I am aiming for tight, quick, and deep (deep not absolutely necessary though) bass drum sound, deep, heavy tom sound (ie. Pantera, Meshuggah), and a wide-open, deep snare drum sound (ala Fear Factory Demanufacture, Pantera Far Beyond Driven).
    -This will be mostly for live situations, but if it can sound nice enough, I will also use in the studio - since the music that I will be playing doesn't call for extremely detailed drum sound, only intense and powerful sound (sometimes even "processed-like" drum sound).

I am torn between the TD-6 and the TD-8 modules, but I think I have decided on DDRUM triggers. Has anyone been in this similar situation? I would appreciate if someone could kind-of point me in the right direction as to a good enough module to to do what I want it to do, going by the criteria stated above. Many, many thanks!

-Nolan

IMO use a ddrum module for triggering acoustics...It is flawless, especially used with ddrum triggers...I am not just saying that because I sell them either...maybe even the most hardcore Roland user will agree...

(OK Roland junkies...I am ready for the flames)

Erik
    SEPdrums

Comment

Thanks for the input. I did look into the ddrum4 brain but the price ranges from $1100 to $1300. The Roland TD-8 averages around $800 and the TD-6 even less than that. I'm a full time college student and even that $400 difference (TD-8) is a lot. I did some research and Nick Barker (ex-Cradle of Filth, now with Dimmu Borgir) uses Ddrum triggers with a Roland TD-10, so perhaps they could work? Only, financially, I am interested in the TD-6 or the TD-8 (if necessary) Thanks again!

Comment

I have to agree with Eric. I use Ddrum triggers with the Roland TD-10. It takes a bit of tweaking (as does everything). The Ddrum is a great module too, I have only used one a couple of times but I must confess that I was impressed! (and NO I am not going to join all you little Red people!)
        Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Nolan:
          I did look into the ddrum4 brain but the price ranges from $1100 to $1300.
          You can consider to buy it second hand ...

I did some research and Nick Barker (ex-Cradle of Filth, now with Dimmu Borgir)d uses ddrum triggers with a Roland TD-10, so perhaps they could work?

Never stare at what professional drummers do. Perhaps they merge the TD-10 sound with their own acoustic sound, perhaps they have tons of outboard gear, samplers, their own sound engineers, their own hire company for sound systems. All kind of things, which aren't affordable for the average drummer.
          Find out how things work yourself. Saves a lot of money!

Only, financially, I am interested in the TD-6 or the TD-8 (if necessary) Thanks again!
          and
          ... will also use in the studio - since the music that I will be playing doesn't call for extremely detailed drum sound, only intense and powerful sound (sometimes even "processed-like" drum sound).

If you like processed drum sounds then the Roland modules are great. They also have a sequencer to play along with and all kind of room simulations, eq settings to edit.

For a pure, clean, dynamic drum sound the ddrum module is more suitable. But I don't think you want this. So - apart from what I said about not to stare at what professional drummers do - go with the Vdrums.

Roland offered more value for money the last years. So: if you can afford a TD-6 then this module would be great for you. Don't need to buy a more expensive TD-8 or TD-10.
          And for simple triggering the ddrum triggers can work with any Roland module.

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
          NO I am not going to join all you little Red people!

Heh..... pitty

Robert

Comment

Hello guys and thanks again,

Here is another situation for ya's... On this mp3 - http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/7/cryptopsy.html (you'll want to hear the Cold Hate, Warm Blood *Live* mp3) - is very similar to the triggered live sound that I am looking for. I'm sure most of you will disprove of the music but have a listen to the drum sound. Flo says he triggers his drums live... so IF the TD-6 module and the DDRUM triggers can get me a sound that is *similar* to this mp3, then there is a possibility of me purchasing a TD-6 and the triggers. I know looking towards professionals isn't a very good thing, but it is just a general direction to what I am looking to do . Thanks again!

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Nolan (edited February 11, 2002).]

Comment

Nice music. It can't be heavy enough for me.

Yeah, the drums (esp. the bass drums) have a very machine like, processed sound. With the TD-6 module: must be a piece of a cake.
              Robert

Comment

Working...
              X