Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Help with a game plan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a game plan...

So I have the itch to get back into drumming but I'm now in a stacked condo where I'm on top. So acoustic drums are out. But maybe I can go electronic, midi to EZD2 and out monitors I could keep at a reasonable level.

The question I suppose is will that be enough to handle the kick transfer or will I need to look into 'silent' kick pedals like the new Roland KT-9? Also how 'real' is the failure rate of Alesis products? It seems to me that if the rates of failure were accurate Alesis would have gone under, no?
    Last edited by Solude; 04-20-19, 12:24 PM.

I bought an Alesis Forge (no longer manufactured) almost three years ago. The snare and tom pads (which are rubber, rather than the mesh ones on their newer kits) held up well under heavy use, and I still use them as toms. Most the of the cymbals, however, failed in various ways. I am now using Yamaha cymbals, which I like much better and seem much sturdier.

The cymbals on the newer Alesis kits look a lot like the ones that came with my kit - I would not recommend them.

Comment

The Alesis Strike module itself seems to be not too bad, only time will tell on whether it will last though.
      DEFINITELY don't bother with any of their pads/cymbals.

........From an EX user......... :-)

Comment

In that case I will likely go with the Yamaha DTX522 or Roland TD-17KVX. Most likely Yamaha since the sounds won't matter and I prefer a hat not attached to a stand so that I can have the foot where it is comfortable and the hat more to the right of where the foot lands.

Now how possible is using a monitor at say 80dB tops with the stick noise? Running a cable back to the kit for headphones is certainly possible but not ideal.

Comment

If your worried about noise it has to be closed back headphones. You need monitors up pretty loud so you donít hear stick noise.
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I have owned a TD-9 drum kit for around 10 years now. At first my high-hat trigger went out, then everything just started to snap, crackle, and pop. I ended up buying a TD25-KV kit and I've got some buyer's remorse. I loved the way that my "Plugged Toms" on my TD-9 sounded! The TD25-KV doesn't have "Plugged Toms". Now I have both kits kinda Frankensteined together. It turns out that it was just my high-hat trigger pedal and my rubber bass pad that were going bad. The thing is IT'S A MESS! I don't want to leave it like it is forever, but I'd like to salvage some sounds from my TD-9. Does anyone know how I can download a few of my old TD-9 kits into my TD-25 brain? It almost feels like a took one step forward and 2 steps back on this TD25-KV kit. No "crazy voices" or "ambient chill out" or "trash can" sounds available....but it's those "plugged toms" that I miss the most!

Comment

You canít load new sounds into the td25. All you can do is edit the sounds it has. Iím not sure how you solve your other problem. Iím guessing you are midi the two modules together
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Solude View Post
                In that case I will likely go with the Yamaha DTX522 or Roland TD-17KVX. Most likely Yamaha since the sounds won't matter and I prefer a hat not attached to a stand so that I can have the foot where it is comfortable and the hat more to the right of where the foot lands.

Now how possible is using a monitor at say 80dB tops with the stick noise? Running a cable back to the kit for headphones is certainly possible but not ideal.
                The DTX502 Module has 12ms Latency, the TD17 4ms. If you want to run a VST (and you want to!), please take the TD17.
                Pearl Forum, Gretsch Snare, Drumtec Mesh Heads, 2Box/Roland/Jobeky Triggers, Roland/Yamaha Cymbals, VH11, Roland TD25 Module. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

The DTX502 Module has 12ms Latency, the TD17 4ms.
                  Do you have the source for this? Hopefully it also lists other brains. And I suppose most importantly is this the midi latency or the sound latency?
                  Last edited by Solude; 04-24-19, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Sound latency. Still I don`t think it will be as fast in Midi.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...igital-drummer

Also it is WAY older than the TD17 you are comparing it to , nowhere near considering Dynamics and Features. Can`t go wrong with the TD17. And the DTX522 Costs half the Price of the 17KVX. Pretty hard to compare.

I measured MIDI Latency of the TD11 at 3 ms. TD17 won`t be slower. The DTX502 very likely will be.

If somebody had a comprehensive List of MIDI Latency on Modules, that would be huge.
                    Pearl Forum, Gretsch Snare, Drumtec Mesh Heads, 2Box/Roland/Jobeky Triggers, Roland/Yamaha Cymbals, VH11, Roland TD25 Module. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Swap condo's to get a ground floor one.
                      E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
                      A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
                      TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by djska View Post
                        Swap condo's to get a ground floor one.

No I like drumming but I'm not trading my distant mountains view for them

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
                          Sound latency. Still I don`t think it will be as fast in Midi.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...igital-drummer

Also it is WAY older than the TD17 you are comparing it to , nowhere near considering Dynamics and Features. Can`t go wrong with the TD17. And the DTX522 Costs half the Price of the 17KVX. Pretty hard to compare.

I measured MIDI Latency of the TD11 at 3 ms. TD17 won`t be slower. The DTX502 very likely will be.

If somebody had a comprehensive List of MIDI Latency on Modules, that would be huge.
                          I have done an A2E with the DTX502 and Yamaha cymbals and an A2E with the TD17 and Roland cymbals. The Roland gear is superior in every possible way. If youíre going to use a VST, the TD17 is miles ahead in terms of capability, and I would strongly recommend it over the Yammie. You can even use the TD17 as your interface!

And as to the point about latency, yes, the difference is noticeable with VSTs. I never got latency low enough to feel comfortable playing a VST in real time with the DTX, while I had no problems, even with SD3, doing so with the TD17.
                          Meet The Stewards!
                          https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
                          https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
                          https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

Working...
                          X