Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Seeking the Holy Grail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking the Holy Grail

Hi guys,
    i need advice and input if you can spare the time.

Basically I'm seeking the Holy Grail of edrum setups. I'm sure this has been discussed to death round here but no matter how much research I do, I know there are people on these forums who've tried everything and can speak from experience.

I'm looking for the very best edrum setup to pair with the Mimic Pro.
    it could either be an off-the-shelf kit (e.g. TD-50, aDrums, 2Box), a combination kit (snare from X, hats from Y, rack from Z) or an acoustic conversion (which triggers and heads, which cymbals, how to do rims etc).

The criteria for a Holy Grail kit is as follows:
    1) most realistic feel (similar to acoustic)
    2) most accurate triggering
    3) most functions of an acoustic kit (chokes, rim clicks and rimshots inc. on tom's, multizone cymbalsc positional sensing etc)
    4) most functional in terms of positional flexibility, hardware placement and expandability (I.e. not limited to one hi-hat, one snare and 3 tom's placed conventionally)
    5) best looking

Obviously this is all subjective, so if YOU had an infinite budget and wanted to tick every box, how would you do it?

No PS with the Mimic so you'll have to cross that off your list.

IMO:

1st place: ATV aDrums Pro (upcoming product)
    2nd place: Drumtec Pro S
    3rd place: ATV aDrums Artist Series

All 3 paired with ATV cymbals.
    Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

aDrums also don't support positional sensing either correct?

Comment

Originally posted by spillitnkillit View Post
        aDrums also don't support positional sensing either correct?
        Correct

Comment

Drumtec Pro / Pro S with TD50DP.
          Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

using high end maple for e-drum shells is useless.. birch or poplar shells cost a fraction of quality maple and are just as good to support a trigger..
            and no .. people are not taking out their trigger bars/ switch heads to use the acoustic properties of those expensive maple shells..
            | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Man, I hate it when many in a Thread do not answer the actual Question but suggest something totally different. And I did just that. Sorry.

If I had infite Money and a Mimic Pro, I would drive to drum-tec and let them tell me what I want.

If I had lots of Money, but not infinite:

- a decent drumset optics and Quality wise

- drumtec real feel Mesh Heads (some cheaper heads as Reso)

- Triggers by Rdrum

- Cymbals... I don`t know.
              those Yamaha Cymbals work well with the Mimic and you save a lot of Money. Jobeky Brilliance or Dark Bronze look amazing and seem to work well, do not know About durability though. Roland is never wrong. Not to Forget ATV...well. Have I mentioned I do not know which cymbals? *g*

Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

The Jobeky cymbals do look awesome. I've always been concerned about they're performance but Luke Oswald's videos make them look very playable.

Last edited by molson; 04-18-19, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
                  - a decent drumset optics and Quality wise
                  Have you heard of Diamond Drums? You mentioned Jobeky so I assume you are willing to order from a UK based enterprise. Fully customized drum triggers.

If you hate hotspots above all else though. You should consider ATV - they really are the only company offering an alternate that rivals the best single cone designs, plus Mimic Pro would have presets already catered for - stress-free setup!

- drumtec real feel Mesh Heads (some cheaper heads as Reso)
                  I can absolutely vouch for Drum-tec real feel if you want the best, optics wise too. (Also one of the things you can specify from Diamond).

- Triggers by Rdrum
                  Are you talking about their external drum triggers? I wouldn't even consider external attachments in a holy grail decision. I can expand on this if you want to know why.

- Cymbals... I don`t know.
                  I would consider ATV to be the front runner on this, followed by Roland, then Yamaha. However...

those Yamaha Cymbals work well with the Mimic and you save a lot of Money. Jobeky Brilliance or Dark Bronze look amazing and seem to work well, do not know About durability though. Roland is never wrong. Not to Forget ATV...well. Have I mentioned I do not know which cymbals? *g*
                  Plenty of money can be saved just picking Roland over ATV. Then more money saved buying used.

We're getting ahead of ourselves though...

To the OP: A good question would be; do you want brass or rubber cymbals?

Field probably make the best brass cymbals, but do you have any acoustic drumming experience? What you do think about cymbals in general?

I like fully rubberised cymbals, so to me, the holy grail is a complete set of ATV cymbals and effects, but I can't afford that so I have all Roland, brand consistency is also a quality I considered.

Maybe hybrid is your holy grail? Agean make really great sounding "low volume" cymbals.

Will a PA be part of the edrum holy grail setup too? All important questions to answer.

Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 04-18-19, 08:51 AM.
                  ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                  Community Drum Module Document
                  PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

I thought About the High Quality internal triggers from rdrum. f.e. https://www.r-drums.com/english/shop...ct-10966923493

And I am not the Thread Starter and not considering anything. I already found a Setup that is reasonable for my Quality of playing and my Goals (having fun in my basement).

Comment

Another question could be : how much noise can my holy grail kit make ? if you insulate a room, or don't live in an appartment with 2/4 neighbors..
                      then i guess you can play on 'full' metal cymbals, and take off your rubber rim protectors .. but it will make a real noise difference ..
                      i can't play on metal cymbals and metal hoops where i live .. so my 'holy grail' kit would have rubber cymbals and rubber hoops ..
                      a mesh kick (18/20") is a real noise saver too.. (very different from rubber kick pads) ..so, realize how many dB's 'room' you have.. to make..

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                        Another question could be : how much noise can my holy grail kit make ? if you insulate a room, or don't live in an appartment with 2/4 neighbors..
                        then i guess you can play on 'full' metal cymbals, and take off your rubber rim protectors .. but it will make a real noise difference ..
                        i can't play on metal cymbals and metal hoops where i live .. so my 'holy grail' kit would have rubber cymbals and rubber hoops ..
                        a mesh kick (18/20") is a real noise saver too.. (very different from rubber kick pads) ..so, realize how many dB's 'room' you have.. to make..
                        Good questions, thanks for asking.

I have lots of experience with acoustic and electronic kits and I tend to adapt to whatever i'm.playing. That said, I'm looking to build a mobile drum teaching and production studio so quieter is probably better.

I've used the Zildjian Gen 16s and didn't like them much so maybe I'm happier with high quality, responsive rubber cymbals.

As for kicks, I'm most familiar with the KD140 so if there is anything considered more responsive and better feeling than this - or very similar but with substantially better looks - I would be about that.

Comment

for me, this set up would be close (diy a to e) i would buy a yamaha stage custom studio kit 20/10/12/14/14 about 699,- .. sell the snare (90,-)
                          https://www.tomleemusic.com.hk/index...e-custom-birch .. buy an ATV 13" snare (or a drumtec diabolo 13" depends on taste)
                          buy set of drumtec real feel heads, for top and single ply cheap mesh for bottom toms. buy r-drum spider triggers or jobeky crossbar (adjustable)
                          triggers for toms and kick.
                          buy 20" drumtec design for kick (i use 18" feels very realistic on kick and low noise) .. i haven't tested 3 ply on kick ..
                          buy 5 meter rim protector to muffle hoop noise .. buy ATV ride and crash cymbals 18" 16"s .. either buy ATV optical hihat 14" or a roland vh-13
                          some of these items might not be easily available in asian countries.. .. (this is my opinion, probably not what others think)..

Comment

Working...
                          X