Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

E-Drum advice for novice old guy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Drum advice for novice old guy.

I'm retired and not a drummer. I took about 8 drum lessons a couple years ago and quit. I simply enjoy trying to follow the bass and snare beats to songs.

Right now I'm considering buying the TD-17KV to play around with.

I would appreciate your opinions as to whether the TD-17KV is over kill for my purposes.

Thanks!

I don't think it is overkill. The TD17 is about right for a starter kit. You get reasonable pads and good sounds for the price. You don't want to get into it and then suddenly have to upgrade again. The TD17 should give you a few years before you get the itch. Of course if you have loads of money there is the Pearl mimic pro but you also need a kit to go with it!!
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

if you have 1200,- (or more) to spare.. a td-17 is a good kit.. however you can now find older TD-4 (not the kp) all mesh version for
      around 600 bucks.. .. i think i bought about 4 of those used (for students) .. https://reverb.com/item/11943603-rol...ronic-drum-kit
      that's a good 'study' kit too.. with good enough sounds .. ofcourse a td-17 would be better .. (but costs more..)
      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

If you have an "upgrading" personality a cheaper older generation kit might be better.

I started witb a used td11 before the 17 came out about 15 months ago. I now have a mimic based kit. If you are the kind of person who will either love playing and then want to optimise I think that you may end up trading up, in which case the td17 could be an expensive step. If you don't like playing, depreciation on an older cheaper kit will be less if you decide to sell.

if (unlike me) you are able to maintain satisfaction with the kit you have under either situation the td17 seems like an awesome kit!

Comment

overkill is better then underkill lol! or you can find a good used td9, td11 or td15 for cheaper
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Thanks for your replies!
            I ended up pulling the trigger on the TD-17's yesterday.

Comment

Great stuff, enjoy, I'm sure you will have a blast with it.

Comment

Congratulations on your new kit. Have fun!
                Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Have you got it yet? What do you think?
                  Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                    Everything arrived yesterday. Stand assembly was easy peasy.
                    I had some confusion with attaching the hi-hat. It comes with an optional upper and lower clutch and I'm not sure it it's supposed to be used. So, I'm stuck there right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X