Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Am I doing the right thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I doing the right thing?

So I'm just waiting for some funds to clear and then I'll be ordering a mimic pro from Ben at Kraft. I'm replacing/upgrading (a good chance I keep the 2box in addition to the mimic) a 2box drumit 5 with Jmans extender running sd3 and drumasonic. The 2box sounds fantastic but the tiny display and lack of editing triggering parameters leave me wanting. That and the high praise people like Jman give the mimics play feel and triggering were instrumental in makingy decision. I tried a td50 but it wasn't for me. I'll be running Jmans stealth conversion kit with the minic and am aware that I'll have to get a different hihat. So to all of the astute edrummers here on the forum did I make a wise decision? This kit is for home studio use only, no travel or gigs.

had to google 'astute' .. i'll try to be astute and not judgemental.. ..a mimic is to e-drums like what a tesla is to electric cars..
    if you have 1800-2000 and money is not a problem.. then it's the 'best' thing to get.. many editing functions, also in the triggering
    department.. (that's where 2box lacks..imo) but 2box has sampling freedom, so the combo would be the 'complete' thing ..
    can you get comparable quality cheaper ?.. ..yes, f. ex. with a td20x, td30 a good computer, good soundcard, and superior 2 or 3..
    (if you already own this gear, otherwise it would be around the same cost as buying a mimic module..)

| Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
      had to google 'astute' .. i'll try to be astute and not judgemental.. ..a mimic is to e-drums like what a tesla is to electric cars..
      if you have 1800-2000 and money is not a problem.. then it's the 'best' thing to get.. many editing functions, also in the triggering
      department.. (that's where 2box lacks..imo) but 2box has sampling freedom, so the combo would be the 'complete' thing ..
      can you get comparable quality cheaper ?.. ..yes, f. ex. with a td20x, td30 a good computer, good soundcard, and superior 2 or 3..
      (if you already own this gear, otherwise it would be around the same cost as buying a mimic module..)
      Appreciate the reply. I have a decent computer but honestly, what's so appealing to me with 2box and mimic is that both can trigger vst quality sounds without the need of being tethered to a computer. I'm not computer savvy. I can run and record in a daw and can follow instructions and while I understand that a mimic is far from plug and play, that's what I want to do.

I assembled an a to e conversion and with help dialed it all in for my 2box and while it certainly wasnt a painstaking experience, it wasnt the part I enjoyed the most either. I still wonder if I could have done a better job. Being an acoustic drummer, I just want to play. I understand that you typically get out what you put into an ekit in terms of learning how to best take advantage of the gear you're running and I have patience for other things but for whatever reason I get easily discouraged when I'm spending time troubleshooting or reading a pdf of a manual when I just want to play. Basically I understand the commitment I have to make to get the most from these instruments in terms of the learning curve but that aspect to me is reminiscent of doing my taxes etc.. If I were more capable and had the drive and determination, a suggestion like yours would likely have been something I would do. But alas, I'm not the guy any of you want setting up or programming their ekits hahaha. I did download the mimic manual so that will soon make the bathroom reading roster. Thanks again for reply.

Comment

I owned the Di5 for several years and IMO the Mimic is light years better. The depth of triggering control is phenomenal. That strength can also be a weakness if you truly don't like tweaking.

I bought the Mimic because, like you, I didn't want to rely on my computer. Kind of silly in hindsight, since I'm just a hobbyist and my kit stays put. After some time I've reversed course and gone back to strictly VST. My reasoning is more due to a preference for SD3 sounds but many here feel the opposite. Do yourself a favor and download the free version of SSD5 and see how you like the sounds. If they suit you then you'll love the Mimic.
        Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
          I owned the Di5 for several years and IMO the Mimic is light years better. The depth of triggering control is phenomenal. That strength can also be a weakness if you truly don't like tweaking.

I bought the Mimic because, like you, I didn't want to rely on my computer. Kind of silly in hindsight, since I'm just a hobbyist and my kit stays put. After some time I've reversed course and gone back to strictly VST. My reasoning is more due to a preference for SD3 sounds but many here feel the opposite. Do yourself a favor and download the free version of SSD5 and see how you like the sounds. If they suit you then you'll love the Mimic.
          Thanks Molson. I've familiarized myself with the ssd5 sounds and wish there were more rides and hihats personally. Otherwise the other sounds are enough for me. I fully intend to incorporate all of the vex packs into this kit as well.

The triggering and play feel are 1a and 1b for me, so if the mimic improves on the dmi5 in that regard, I'll be very happy indeed.

I do have a pretty powerful machine (i7 6700k desktop pc, 32gb ddr4, 2tb hdd and 512 g ssd) but again am out of my element beyond the basics. That's not to say that I wouldn't be game for rolling up my sleeves and really digging into the system. I feel almost like I'm in denial that I play an ekit at home (something I've never had to do until recently) and as a result, have maybe subconsciously avoided making the true commitment one must make to really take advantage of the instrument. It can feel overwhelming and maybe even a little embarrassing when, what most of you guys do so effortlessly (build and a get great, natural sounding and playing ekits) doesn't come so easily to me. Especially whe we all compare playing an ekit to an akit, which for me has none of those hangups. Thankfully resources like vdrums forum exist, or I would surely be unable to keep up at all.

Comment

I am relatively new to e-drumming (about two years in) after many years on acoustics. I have a Mimic and am reasonably tech savvy. I read manuals ;-) . There is definitely a learning curve, but you don't have to be an expert at everything to enjoy your setup as a home player. The built in and VEX kits will probably give you everything you need, and you can then clone your favorites and learn by tweaking. Plenty of help available here and on the Mimic Facebook pages.
            ATV aDrums Artist expanded kit, Mimic Pro. Ludwig 1967 black oyster pearl five piece, Zildjian A custom crashes, A. Zildjian ride and hats.

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post

I know you had the 5 and not the 3, but if you had the 3 with SD3 installed, how do you think you would like that compared to the Mimic?
              Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post

I know you had the 5 and not the 3, but if you had the 3 with SD3 installed, how do you think you would like that compared to the Mimic?
                it is not granted that all will works you can end up with bad dynamic and machine gun, and the hihat is one of the weak things on 2box. You really need to works to get all this right.
                Last edited by Chris K; 04-02-19, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuhl View Post
                  So I'm just waiting for some funds to clear and then I'll be ordering a mimic pro from Ben at Kraft. I'm replacing/upgrading (a good chance I keep the 2box in addition to the mimic) a 2box drumit 5 with Jmans extender running sd3 and drumasonic. The 2box sounds fantastic but the tiny display and lack of editing triggering parameters leave me wanting. That and the high praise people like Jman give the mimics play feel and triggering were instrumental in makingy decision. I tried a td50 but it wasn't for me. I'll be running Jmans stealth conversion kit with the minic and am aware that I'll have to get a different hihat. So to all of the astute edrummers here on the forum did I make a wise decision? This kit is for home studio use only, no travel or gigs.
                  back to the main topic, if you want great triggering and flexibility, editing, great sound, top notch hihat, and evolving module with updates and new features, mimic is the one, there is have been like 6-7 firmware updates to date, and others things are planned\ works in progress.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 04-02-19, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I had the 3 briefly and couldn't return it fast enough. Got the mimic and its been smooth sailing since. The strike can import the sounds from a VST as well if you use the same software as the 2box. But its just a snapshot. You don't have real world control over the sounds. You have to do 95% of your sound editing while in the VST, then it creates samples for that exact sound (not always accurately and not always sounding exactly like what you created) and then you import that into the module. I much prefer having the studio tools in the module to shape and mold the sound in real time with no back and forth between a computer. And I would argue that even if you don't like the sounds in the SSD5 if you are willing to learn how to utilize the mimics sound shaping features that there are very few sounds that you cant achieve.

Comment

From conversations I have had behind the scenes I believe there will still, eventually be a multi-velocity/import/editor capability with the Mimic, but we will leave that out of the equation for now. I still have a Drumit 3 and Drumit 5 module besides the Mimic. The Drumit Five is just for my Percussion section which I barely ever use these days ...... BUT, with the combination of the Mimic module and the Drumit Three for all my additional sounds, like my Octobans, Bells, Gong, extra side snare, Ozone Crashes, tambourine .... etc, etc.... Basically it is an Excellent combo, I still have the truly Open Sound system for any instrument I want or need with the 2Box, and the incredible Mimic for my main kit .... So, since you do not plan to get rid of the 2Box... you can't really loose ... IMO
                      J
                      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

the mimic pro is like a pro drum studio in a module it is amazing how you can sculpt the sounds to your liking. im not a studio engineer so i have downloaded Chris k's kits as well as buying vex kits and makes it easier for me to modify those kits to my liking. which is helping me to learn as well.
                        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
                        X