Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-50 mix in and headphone volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-50 mix in and headphone volume

I just upgraded my TD-20 kit with the TD-50 brain, ride, snare package. Whoo hoo I love it. That ride cymbal sounds like a real ride now. Whole set sound is awesome. I have one gripe/discovery. I have been playing rock and roll drums for about 50 years (literally). My hearing has suffered a bit for my art. On my TD-20 I could ramp up the mix in and kit till it hurt my ears but I kind of liked it loud like that. The TD-50 seems to be just barely loud enough for me when fully cranked. I've actually got used to playing with a little less blast in my ears but I can/do play with mix in and phones maxed.
    Has anyone else noticed a similar difference of TD-50 having less volume ceiling for mix in and phones?
    I do have a headphone amp I have used inthe past to let other people hear my kit when I don't have any speakers setup, so maybe routing into that will give me the boost I prefer. I'll have to experiment.

P.S Looking forward to moving my PD105 pads to the left and setting them as Timbales or roto toms on a few sets. I'll buy another PD125 and use my old snare along with the new pad as center rack toms. Then I'll also use my old ride as a new crash/splash/china. 6 toms and 4 cymbals. Getting a little closer to my old acoustic Yamaha custom setup with 8 toms and 12 cymbals + two high hats.

You can crank up the volume of the Mix-in with 12dB:
    Setup-Option-Mix In-Gain

see page 44 of the Reference manual

Comment

FYI, I've found my Mix-In to be pretty disappointing. It has a high noise floor (similar to a cheap analog mixer) and it attenuates (reduces) the incoming signal to make it "0db".. thus forcing me to max out the Mix-In knob. It's still about 6dB quieter than the drums themselves, which is fine for drumming over a song for practice... but it sucks if you hope to use it as a true mix-in for anything else. I abandoned using it, the level is too low and noise floor is too high.

Comment

FYI, I think the Mix-In anticipates an Amplified stereo Headphone output (such as the output from a cell phone, headphone output of a product). Line Level Outputs do not amplify until it reaches the receiver/amp.
        My TD-25 module seemed loud also, letting me run Line Level or Headphone. TD-50 seems to attenuate the signal more, anticipating an amplified headphone output.

It's definitely weakening my line level stereo input by 6 to 12 dB, making me raise the level by 6-12dB and the MIX-IN knob all the way.. making the noise floor too loud to use. I have no volume or noise issue when running the same outputs and cables to powered speakers directly. So I've determined it's a MIX-IN volume/noise issue.

I'm going to try the headphone output into the MIX-IN input to see if it's louder so I don't have to raise the gain as much (thus keeping noise floor lower). I expect it to help, since my cell phone's headphone output is plenty loud running into MIX-IN.

Comment

Working...
        X