Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

TD-50 -- back to it with older pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-50 -- back to it with older pads

I recently hooked up my TD-50 to an older set of pads and the digital snare and ride. I have two pd-80s, two pd-7s, along with a cy-8. The HH is a vh-12 and the kick is a kd-80. I am listing them in case it helps someone.

My motivation for posting is that once again I am super energized by playing the TD-50.

Here is some of the back story.

I have the 50kv kit, but when I got the mimic pro, I hooked it up to the kv pads. At first it was pretty cool, but over time it became more frustrating to get the mix I wanted to hear. I have done all of the upgrades and have done a fair bit of tweaking.

I am not saying this to offend anyone. It is clear here that plenty of people here are able to get incredibly pleasing sound out of their mimics. I am one of those drummers who doesn't want to add fine-tuned effects to unprocessed drums. I don't have the knowledge or patience to adjust a bunch of settings to get perfect sound. I want pleasing sound with no effort, or with just a very little bit of intuitive (to an ignoramus) tweaking.

I like the mimic ok, but it stopped being fun a while ago. The HH in particular has been challenging. When I compare it to playing an acoustic HH, which I have in the basement, there is a world of difference. I also have had trouble getting a well balanced mix.

Today, I turned on the TD-50 for the first time in over a year. I moved a few sliders around, changed a couple of instruments and their sizes, and was jamming my brains out to s few onboard songs. I had a mix that worked for me and sounds that energized me in no time at all.

Now here is the funny thing. When I first had the TD-50kv, I went nuts. I was madly in love and energized. But then after a bunch of live jams, I felt constrained. I hit limits that affected my ability to express myself musically. The HH was the hardest.

But today, it was a lot of fun, and the HH felt better than what I can do with the mimic.

Sometimes I think that there is a big psychological element with e-drums. When I sit at an acoustic kit, I may feel some limits in terms of tone, pitch, brilliance, snare crack, etc, but I never think that the kit is not acting like a drum kit. I know it is a drum kit and it never occurs to me that it isn't acting like one.

But with e-drums, there is this awareness that they are not "really" a drum kit, that they are emulating a drum kit. And then when I hit their limits, the thought that enters my mind is that they are failing to act like a drum kit. And this adds to my dissatisfaction.

I have been playing acoustic kits a lot over the past year or two, and the thing with them is that they sound different from behind the kit. The sound is more raw and boomie, less focused and less punchy.

Playing the TD-50 today I didn't have that sense. They felt full and punchy. I was using some of the VEX kits I got a year ago, so that obviously played a role.

Bottom line - I know I may grow tired of the TD-50's limitations again, but after a break from it, I find it very energizing to play. And I can't help wondering whether the vh-12 works better with it than the vh-13 that came with the 50-kv kit. [Edit: After playing some more, I see that there are still HH issues with fine control and nuances.]

Also, the fact that many here love the mimic and would never give it up, and that some prefer the td-50 just goes to show that different people need different solutions.
    Last edited by Renegator; 03-16-19, 11:02 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . .
    V stage with TD20 and TDW-20, pd-80s, pd-7s, pd-125, vh-12, cy-12rc, dB 405 L and Yorkville LS 700p
    Core2duo in a Cube with 2 gig of RAM and 2 HDDs, Sonar Producer 6, DFHS Custom and Vintage, and RME Multiface II

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Thoughtful posting. I like to think there are no limits to e drums and treat them as a percussion instrument that has finally found it's place among instruments much like an Oberheim synthesizer or electric guitar. I'm pretty sure someone with a headband and mullet in the 80's said this about Simmons but there does come a point where we might agree something has arrived. I do know of course what you mean by limitations but Buddy played on pillows and I've seen Jojo Mayer play a pepperoni pizza. Sticks can sound good on a plastic tub and your Mom's coffee table. Simmons were cool too don't get me wrong there.

I'm a fan of the TD-50 and Mimic and also loved when I played a TD-25K so I imagine I'd love the TD-30 too. There is so much playability for lack of a better word and sonic brilliance in some e kit configurations that I feel like I'm just scratching the surface. I haven't been satisfied with a high hat until the AVT 14" Artist Optical came out and I paired it with a Mimic Pro. That put things at a new level, along with aDrums. I use VEX on the TD-50 and will soon for the Mimic. I've only had Mimic Pro less than a month and wanted to make a few presets and use the raw sounds for a bit, then VEX it. I am humbled by this module, it's stunning. But older pads or newer, TD-30 on up, I think things are in place.

To each his own indeed. We are lucky to get to play an e kit and share ideas and geek out, save and buy, sell and experiment. Also it's amazing we can now play in relative silence an instrument that is almost fundamentally unplayable in it's acoustic domain due to the noise. I used to watch guitar players in headphones bopping their heads and crossing their legs in smug glory and want to throw my sticks really hard at the bridge of their Stratocaster. As the drum-tec videos say, time to play.

Comment

We can grow tired or grow past any piece of gear depending on our expectations and abilities. I found that eDrums have as much hidden possibilities as the acoustics, one just has to have a good reason to experiment and discover them... Could be for professional reasons or just pure fun. I agree with howstamychi on eDrums earning their place as an instrument on its own, offering many possibilities for a hobbyst and the pro alike.

To add just one quote from Mike Johnston when he was approached by a concerned parrent about his kid wanting to play those loud acoustic drums... 'Ma'am, see that kit in the corner? Is it loud now? No... That's how quiet it can get'
      •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
      •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
      •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

The hihat is always challenging on edrum because of the stand, clutch and physical triggers and setting. Your vh12 might works at 70% and you don't know, the vh12 controller tend to degrade with time, vh12 can be problematic and much more used on others module. I use vh11 and it's ultra responsive, I can play la villa strangiato fully transmuting, high speed tempo jazz close\ open etc no machine gun. I don't have atv but many people like it with the optical. The HIHAT on all Roland module are one shots sample on all articulation.

VEX can help for people don't know to do processed kit. I am background from VSTI since 6-7 year, once you are used, it's just pristine real, unable to see difference from edrum to acoustic sound and plenty of sample and dynamic range.

Usually on edrum there is compromise to learn and improving. Good mix and great native drum sound will always need to be worked for realism.

Concerning tired with edrum, you will get tired with any edrum if you don't use it as it should be and fully exploited, I know few users here bought several product twice from the same owner, or most of them, edrum if not used properly and see the max ceiling capability, you will hunt for sound and module after module, you will still not happy, added to all $ lost and all trouble. There is no choice either you learn for pristine quality and sound, or not learning much and get average result, that is just true on music and arts.
        Last edited by Chris K; 03-17-19, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I think it is only natural to get tired of any musical instrument over time. As musicians we need to change things around to challenge ourselves and explore different sounds and styles. I have seen many professional drummers go through this during their career.

Just like acoustic drum manufactures, e-kit manufactures have their own unique feel and sound. I think we should embrace this as it gives us creative choices. No one module is better than the other, just different. They all serve a particular need to get a job done. I recently switched back from the Mimic Pro to the TD-50 and I dont regret it one bit. For me, there was just something about the Mimic that didnt get my creative juices flowing. I feel at home on the TD-50 and my playing and creativity is so much better on it.
          ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Explains why I have prolly bought & sold 30 plus kits over the years (E&A).. Just for something different..
            Noble & Cooley a kit

Comment

I just keep them and let my son use them. I have a ddrum4 kit. Td20 expanded and td30. Mainly because Im left handed and my son is right handed.
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
              X