Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

ATV cymbal compatibility with the Roland TD-50 module.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV cymbal compatibility with the Roland TD-50 module.

Is the ATV aD-C18 Cymbal compatible with the Roland TD-50 module? I have an ATV aD-C18 ride cymbal I'm trying to use as a crash cymbal but regardless of where and how I strike the cymbal all I get is the edge sound. It seems that the Roland module is not reading the signals coming from the ATV cymbal as intended.

Before acquiring the ATV cymbal I had contacted Roland about getting another digital ride to use as a left hand crash/ride but they said the TD-50 can only operate one ride cymbal at a time whether digital or not. Nonetheless, I still wanted a larger diameter cymbal than a CY-14 or a CY-15R so I bought the ATV as a crash cymbal and also as a backup if down the line I decided to add another module to my rig.

There are two outputs on the ATV; cup and edge. I assumed that as with the Roland CY-15R the edge output would cover the edge and the bow. A couple of people thought I should use a dummy plug on the cup output. I'm still not quite sure what a dummy plug is or how to make one or whether it will work or not.
    Last edited by percussivewoman; 03-14-19, 07:47 PM.

Which inputs are you putting the ATV ride into on the TD-50 module? You can't use the analogue ride or snare jack inputs when the digital pads are in use.

If you have it plugged into a crash or aux jack, first I'd check that the "rim" button/light on the module lights up when you hit the edge and goes off when you hit the bow. If this happens but the sounds are still the same, then it means that the bow and edge sounds are configured as the same sound rather than as the appropriate bow/edge sounds for the cymbal. If this is the case, you can turn off the head/rim link and check and cha get them individually.

If this is not it, the next step would be trying the dummy plug. I'm not sure if this would be necessary with the ATV cymbal wiring but I know the Alesis 3 zone Strike cymbal pads are wired this way so maybe. The easiest way to try this is find a spare jack cable and plug that in to the bell output on the cymbal but don't plug it in to anything on the module (whilst the bow/edge output is still attached to the module input as usual). Then try the bow and edge and see if it has corrected the issue. If this works then the best thing to use in the bell output would be something like a 3.5mm to 6.35mm jack adapter as it's just basically the jack plug with no cable attached. That would be the most discrete and low cost option, I'd say.
    The eDrum Workshop | YouTube

Comment

I have 3 each ATV aD-C16 cymbals hooked up to my TD-50 with no issues. Make sure you have the right trigger selected in the settings of the TD-50 for each cymbal input. Plug the cable into the edge output of the cymbal, no dummy plug is needed. Use a CY-15R or CY-14C profile. You may also have to adjust the sensitivity up from its default value.
      ATV Artist aDrums, TD-50DP, Superior Drummer 3.0, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

I have a question go along with Robin's then.....

As we know that The USB Snare/Ride when plugged in cancel out their respective "analogue" inputs. Does plugging in a third USB trigger (to use presumably as a large crash), cancel anything additional out on the analogue side???

Just a thought.....

BTW, A "dummy" simply means a 1/4 jack that goes nowhere.
        Like a simple headphone adapter for example......
        Last edited by Vigosh; 03-16-19, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
          I have 3 each ATV aD-C16 cymbals hooked up to my TD-50 with no issues. Make sure you have the right trigger selected in the settings of the TD-50 for each cymbal input. Plug the cable into the edge output of the cymbal, no dummy plug is needed. Use a CY-15R or CY-14C profile. You may also have to adjust the sensitivity up from its default value.
          +1 here...

The aD-C18 is wired exactly the same as all ATV cymbals. Itís just larger... ALL ATV cymbals are 3-zone capable, but play 2-zone (bow and edge) w/ choke switch when you plug into the edge only. No need for a dummy plug.
          Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Quick question: how does the 14" ATV hi-hat perform on a TD-50? I saw another post where drum-tec was saying it doesn't trigger that well on the TD-17.

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
              Quick question: how does the 14" ATV hi-hat perform on a TD-50? I saw another post where drum-tec was saying it doesn't trigger that well on the TD-17.
              The ATV hi-hats work just fine with the TD-50. I’ve had no issues.
              ATV Artist aDrums, TD-50DP, Superior Drummer 3.0, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Percussivewoman,

percussivewoman wrote:
                Before acquiring the ATV cymbal, I had contacted Roland about getting another digital ride to use as a left hand crash / ride, but they said the TD-50 can only operate one ride cymbal at a time, whether digital or not. Nonetheless, I still wanted a larger diameter cymbal than a CY-14 or a CY-15R, so I bought the ATV as a crash cymbal and also as a backup, if down the line I decided to add another module to my rig.
                The answer Roland gave you, while the simplest answer, is not the full answer. Setting up multiple three zone ride cymbals on Roland modules is possible, provided your module has enough inputs. None of the solutions are ideal, but I created one that met my needs.

I'll clarify the digital pads first and then provide details on my solution.

The digital pads. I don't have a TD-50 in front of me, but you can plug in multiple, digital pads. The catch is, you do not get full functionality when duplicating certain instruments, namely snare and ride. What I mean by duplicate is, if you already have a digital snare and plug in a second digital snare, only the first snare can be assigned as a snare with full digital functionality. The second snare, though plugged in digitally, acts more like an analog pad with head and rim zones. You loose access to additional sensing features, such as detection of your hand near the head for automatic cross-stick detection. The digital ride cymbal works the same way, so the second one ends up more like a two zone cymbal, offering bell and bow, or edge and bow, but not three zone functionality. If you can borrow a second digital ride, I'd advise testing this.

So, how did I achieve multiple three zone rides?

Read my thread, linked below. This is such a common problem that I've referred people to this thread many times; it's the easiest way to share the methodology and details. The thread is long and technical details get fleshed out as more people asked questions, so read the whole thread, if you can.

I was working with a TD-30 and some details have changed in the TD-50. If you're using a digital ride with your TD-50, then you'll have to use two aux inputs for the second analog ride, because the digital ride disables the ride inputs. Unlike the TD-30, the TD-50 does not allow disabling Three Way Triggering on the analog ride inputs. Thus, even when not using a digital ride, your first analog ride uses the Ride input and an aux input, and the second analog ride uses two more aux inputs. All of this will make more sense once you read the methodology in my thread.

Roland BT-1 Review and Three-Zone Ride Solution
                https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...-ride-solution

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by TangTheHump; 12-17-19, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X