Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

A better bass drum solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better bass drum solution?

For a while now I've been thinking that my bass pedal technique might be suffering due to my setup, so it might be time for a change.

What I have:
    • Roland TD-12, but with acoustic shells
    • Toms are all mesh head with RT-10's to trigger
    • Bass pedal uses a Krigg
    I have it setup this way so I can easily convert my kit back to an acoustic when it needs to go out gigging. All I currently have to do is swap 2 or 3 tom heads and I'm good to go. I chose not to put a mesh head on my bass drum because I had done it before and I was never that happy with the results, plus it's just another head that needs swapping before / after gigging. I was using a single ply head before, so maybe I'd have better luck with a 2 or 3 ply head?

What I really want though is something I can just quickly snap on to my bass drum (on top of the acoustic head) to allow it to trigger. I'm not too worried about the volume level (but it needs to be quieter than just hitting the acoustic head). I've seen the KDA22, but that's very expensive and requires head swaps (I think). I've also seen Pearl Tru-Track but getting the bass pad on it's own seems difficult / expensive. Are there any other solutions out there that I should be aware of? Would using something like a bix and a bass drum silence / mute pad give a good result?

To be clear, I don't have any massive issue with the Krigg. I like it a lot but I'm starting to focus on improving my single pedal speed and when I switch from an e-kit to an a-kit, I can really feel the difference.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Philo; 03-13-19, 07:36 AM.

don't know where you are ? but in my country you sometimes see rtom black holes, 20" 22" .. in the 'b-stock' for 100,- these click on to a normal size kick..
    i think - with some work- i could get it to trigger a piezo trigger that's stuck on the head .. a td-12 has enough trigger parameters to get it to work..
    with a loose tension and some absorbing foam behind it.. (the stuff they stick under car hoods..) i think i could get the feel really close to a normal kick ..
    it's just an idea.. .. or practice pedal speed on a separate rig .. (with just a good feel... non triggered..)

| Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

I'm in the UK.

The blackholes are probably a good solution - I hadn't really looked at these before. Just had a look and a 22" version is around 100 new, so I'll probably keep an eye out for second hand.

It seems a shame there aren't more straight forward triggers for this siutuation, but I guess there isn't a massive call for it.

Comment

How about a free standing Yamaha pedal in back of the bass drum?

Comment

Yeah, a stand alone pad is an option but I'd rather keep it a bit more slimline. If I had to push my bass drum back to make room for the tower then it makes the rest of the kit a little more awkward to setup (limited space). I could just remove the bass drum entirely, but then I'd still have to keep it somewhere and space is an issue, so it might as well be setup with the kit.

Sorry, being kinda awkward here!

Comment

maybe EVANS SOBASS - SOUND OFF ...that's only 50,-

Comment

By now I must be sounding like I have stock this, but why not get a KT-10, no bassdrum swapping heads needed. You just place it in front of your bassdrum, or you leave your bassdrum packed up ready to go for the acoustic kit.
              Btw. I've learned to keep the kits complete seperate, no sharing of parts between a- and e-kit, as I sometimes forgot certain stuff (like the stool). So a-kit packed up ready to go. Hardware bag always left in the trunk of the car.
              E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz173edtgc...14709.jpg?raw=1
              A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
              TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

Hmm, The KT-10 might be a very good option actually. I'd forgotten these exist... I'll get to a drum store so I can see how they feel.

Happy to hear more suggestions if people have them!

Comment

Triggera Bix.

Sorted.
                  *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
                  Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

i highly doubt a KT10 would have the same impact and resistance that a pedal and a beater smacking a bassdrumhead have ..
                    i used to play on kd-7's and although the motion is the same (as a bass pedal) ..the effort isn't ...but i haven't tried one ..

Comment

Then don't assume please :-). The KT-10 has a beater with a similar throw as a real pedal, and it hits a pad, that has give like a real bassdrumhead. So you can press it in quite a bit, say 1 cm, and it returns with similar slow response as a real head.

Comment

ok .. next time i'm in a shop i will try one (just for the experience..)

Comment

The KT-10 has a beater with a similar throw as a real pedal, and it hits a pad, that has give like a real bassdrumhead. So you can press it in quite a bit, say 1 cm, and it returns with similar slow response as a real head.
                          I didn't get chance to go and try one this weekend, but that's what I've wanted to hear. Certainly going to try one before committing and if that's no good, I'll probably go own the mesh head route and attach an RT-10K I have from my last attempt to solve this problem.

Comment

I use a kt10 and fd9 with my hpd20. I love the feel as well as portability of the kt10. I have, however, had to resolder the piezo several times. Also, don't give up on it with one quick trial. It is adjustable for the type of pedal response you are used to.
                            Last edited by drum4ever; Yesterday, 06:25 PM.
                            Stuff to hit

Comment

Really, I have it for 4 years, never had a problem. Overall, the KT-10 really is a robust build with good bearings.
                              Last edited by djska; Today, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X