Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Beyerdynamic headphones: DT-770M vs. DT-770 Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyerdynamic headphones: DT-770M vs. DT-770 Pro

I'm considering purchasing a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770's headphones - probably the 80 Ohm version. I believe they come in a couple models -- DT-770M and DT-770 Pro. I have read the "M" works great for drummers. However, the "Pro" gets better overall audio reviews. Can anyone shed some input on this?
    Last edited by EssKayKay; 03-12-19, 12:33 PM.

Can't compare because I have always used the pro. Suits my needs just fine if that helps.

Comment

I have the DT-770M. I don't use them much anymore since I have a monitor for my e-kit. I did find them to be comfortable when I wore them for extend periods. I think they are a bit generous (i.e. overstating) on the 35dB sound reduction value (that's a very tough number to reach).

I think you would get similar sound reduction from either model in practical application (as they are both closed type, however they do list lower values ... see below), the headbands are similar, and you can replace the ear pads on both models as well.

Difference between the two models:
      • 32/80/250 ohms (Ω) on the Pro model vs. 80ohms (Ω) on the M (impedance).
      • The Übertragungsbereich is 5-35,000Hz on the Pro vs. 5-30,000Hz on the M (Übertragungsbereich = frequency response).
      • Ambient Noise Isolation = 32Ω version approx. 20 dBA 80 Ω / 250 Ω version approx. 18 dBA for the Pro models and 35dBA for the M model.
      • Headband pressure is 3.5 on the Pro vs. 6.5 on the M (this may be why the noise reduction is greater for the M model over the Pro).
      • The Pro is lighter 270 grams vs. 300-grams M model.
      • Cables: 32 Ω = 1.6m straight cable / 80 Ω 3m straight cable / 250 Ω 3m coiled cable on the Pro vs. 3m straight cable on the M.
      • I don't think the Pro has the volume adjustment on the cable as the M does.
      • SPL is 96dB on the Pro vs. 105dB on the M.
      • The M is slightly louder and I would imagine that due to the frequency response they are equalized differently between the Pro and M models.
      Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
      Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
        I have the DT-770M. I don't use them much anymore since I have a monitor for my e-kit. I did find them to be comfortable when I wore them for extend periods. I think they are a bit generous (i.e. overstating) on the 35dB sound reduction value (that's a very tough number to reach).

I think you would get similar sound reduction from either model in practical application (as they are both closed type, however they do list lower values ... see below), the headbands are similar, and you can replace the ear pads on both models as well.

Difference between the two models:
        • 32/80/250 ohms (Ω) on the Pro model vs. 80ohms (Ω) on the M (impedance).
        • The Übertragungsbereich is 5-35,000Hz on the Pro vs. 5-30,000Hz on the M (Übertragungsbereich = frequency response).
        • Ambient Noise Isolation = 32Ω version approx. 20 dBA 80 Ω / 250 Ω version approx. 18 dBA for the Pro models and 35dBA for the M model.
        • Headband pressure is 3.5 on the Pro vs. 6.5 on the M (this may be why the noise reduction is greater for the M model over the Pro).
        • The Pro is lighter 270 grams vs. 300-grams M model.
        • Cables: 32 Ω = 1.6m straight cable / 80 Ω 3m straight cable / 250 Ω 3m coiled cable on the Pro vs. 3m straight cable on the M.
        • I don't think the Pro has the volume adjustment on the cable as the M does.
        • SPL is 96dB on the Pro vs. 105dB on the M.
        • The M is slightly louder and I would imagine that due to the frequency response they are equalized differently between the Pro and M models.
        So do you think there is a preference for drummers?

Comment

I have the pros but now use the dt1770 which are a huge step up and the best I have heard for edrums and will go really loud without distortion or running out of bottom end. Of course they cost a lot more
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post

Laymen's response... The M's are designed for more power. (lower impedance) This is what drummer's are going to desire. The P's are designed for studio mixing and mastering. (higher impedance) They are low-volume for this very reason. You'll want to try the M's.

Others to consider would be the Roland Pro's. They get great reviews. Cannot comment further, as I do not have them.
            Alan
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thank you guys - much appreciated. I'll keep you posted. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                Yes, but it depends on the drummer! Bottom-line, these things are very subjective and my preferences are going to be quite different than others.
                I don't know if you have access to these items at a retailer, which obviously would make this much easier, as you could try before buy.
                If not, check for an online retailer with a generous return policy, double check that headphones fall into to the return policy, and buy and try both and return the one that is less appealing to you.

I got the M's because I wanted to try to drown out stick noise from the kit. Stick noise was fairly observable unless I got the volume to a level I wasn't really comfortable with for extended periods of time (I'm very safety conscious and was enrolled in hearing conservation programs at work). I ended up getting a PM-30, and use it on a fairly low level (approx. 60% on the PM-30 with the module master out at about 30% - this is about normal TV listening level). I also prefer the sound of the PM-30 over the headphones. The headphones gave me a fairly flat or reference type sound versus PM-30 giving me a little more "color" as I tweaked the sonic spectrum a bit via the equalization controls.

Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
                Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Thank you Hoppy. I believe I will go with the "M".
                  Again, much appreciated.

Comment

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the product. If you're like most drummers you'll have the volume at a level that drowns out most of the stick noise from the cymbal pads, and if you take a acoustic kit into the studio I'm sure you'll have enough isolation to accurately hear what the mixing board is recording.

One "M" feature that I really liked was the headphone volume level control in the cable. It may not be a great feature for everybody, but I liked that I could dial down the sound, as an extra layer of sound protection, rather than just relying on the module or monitor control.

Comment

Working...
                    X