Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

TD30 now or save up for TD50

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD30 now or save up for TD50

So I have a decision to make ..... buy a used TD30 now (in pristine shape) or save up a little longer for a TD50 ......

Can you finance it. Buy the 50 and use your 30 money to make lump sum payment leaving you a much smaller balance and cheap payments. If you come across more money you can pay it off quicker

Comment

I love my used TD-30. I bought it in pristine condition from a member here. At the very basic level it provides everything I need... with the help of some VST's. I have not looked at all what a TD-50 provides. Thus, not sure what extra value it brings for the extra cost.

Comment

The only reason to get the TD50, IMO, is the digital ride and snare. If you don't care about those then get the TD30.
        Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Module side Td30 is the most complete module ever released for Roland, sequencer, pad pattern, large variant of sound, better snare, you can add more triggers via midi, all this not available on td50.
          Last edited by Chris K; 03-08-19, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Digital ride and snare make a ton of difference. I went from 30 to 50 and have no regrets.
            E-kit: TD50KV with KD A22, SPD-SX, BT-1, Acoustic: DW Custom, Maple Mahogany, Zildjian K Customs, Sweet and Darks, Pork Pie Thrones, Tama Speed Cobras and DW HW, Zildjian sticks. Midas 32C, MD421, EV ND46, ND96, SM57, SM81. Past kits include Roland TD9 Mesh and TD30K.

Comment

I switched back from the Mimic Pro to the TD-50. I really missed the digital ride and snare and I like the sounds in the TD-50.
              ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Won't 2020 be 4 years after the release of the td50, meaning a new roland module coming out?

Comment

Originally posted by Precisionguided View Post
                  Won't 2020 be 4 years after the release of the td50, meaning a new roland module coming out?
                  in 2021 it will be 4 years, but td-50 will have a longer life spawn then td-30 which had 4.5 years, that is what roland rep said earlier, I would suspect newer flagship will be more toward 6 year, and they have yet to discontinued the TD-25 and release their mid level kit\module.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 03-09-19, 12:33 AM.

Comment

You could go to Sam Ash or GC and play a TD-50 and TD-25/25KV to get a feel for the 50 against the 30. Call first but they usually have both models on the floor. Sam Ash can get you 15% off the advertised price and GC as much as 20% off on a new TD-50. A pristine according to owner TD-30 could easily have 7 years of hard thrashing on it and still be a handsome looking lad, but on the inside...Consider factory new and warranty. But if you prefer the 25 sound I can't argue with Chris and his assessment of the TD-30 as the most complete module. Maybe open up a pad on the pristine 30 and check the cone as you'd check the bearing edge of a used acoustic drum.
                    Last edited by Howstamychi; 03-09-19, 01:24 AM. Reason: blunder

Comment

- if you don't gig with electronic drums .. and use it for practicing in your home.. then, you could use a lot of internal sounds of a TD30 and
                      just trigger vst toms and snares.. the 30 hihat response is very good and fast compared to triggering vst hihats .. td30 has good cymbals and
                      stacks, rides, kicks.. that would be only 4 toms and some snares triggering, taking a lot of load off your vst computer.. and a mix of both sound
                      sources would sound pretty good .. a used TD30 only costs around 1300,- now.. ..a TD50 would cost a lot more .. you would have a digital ride
                      and 14" digital snare.. ..and could also trigger just vst toms and snares .. but it would be a higher budget ..
                      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
                        I switched back from the Mimic Pro to the TD-50. I really missed the digital ride and snare and I like the sounds in the TD-50.
                        Curiosity question, and I hope I am not off topic here but in a nutshell what was the thing(s) you did not like about the Mimic Pro?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                          - if you don't gig with electronic drums .. and use it for practicing in your home.. then, you could use a lot of internal sounds of a TD30 and
                          just trigger vst toms and snares.. the 30 hihat response is very good and fast compared to triggering vst hihats .. td30 has good cymbals and
                          stacks, rides, kicks.. that would be only 4 toms and some snares triggering, taking a lot of load off your vst computer.. and a mix of both sound
                          sources would sound pretty good .. a used TD30 only costs around 1300,- now.. ..a TD50 would cost a lot more .. you would have a digital ride
                          and 14" digital snare.. ..and could also trigger just vst toms and snares .. but it would be a higher budget ..
                          I would be using it live as well as recording. I forgot to mention that I have a td30 I had been using Live with one custom made vex kit that I was going to start using in my garage for my practice kit and upgrade to a better module for live gigging. The guitar player who runs sound in the band is really pushing for the td50 but he is just now being made aware of the mimics existence. I want to move away from my Td20x I am currently using for practice and recording and just wanted to get some simple feedback from the group members. If I have strayed to Farr off topic I humbly apologize but this really is a very important decision for me. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post
                            You could go to Sam Ash or GC and play a TD-50 and TD-25/25KV to get a feel for the 50 against the 30. Call first but they usually have both models on the floor. Sam Ash can get you 15% off the advertised price and GC as much as 20% off on a new TD-50. A pristine according to owner TD-30 could easily have 7 years of hard thrashing on it and still be a handsome looking lad, but on the inside...Consider factory new and warranty. But if you prefer the 25 sound I can't argue with Chris and his assessment of the TD-30 as the most complete module. Maybe open up a pad on the pristine 30 and check the cone as you'd check the bearing edge of a used acoustic drum.
                            Keep an eye out on Sweetwater’s Deals page as well. I picked up a TD-50 Digital Upgrade pack for $1999.00. Good as new and comes with Sweetwater’s 2 Year Warranty. Also, Edrumcenter.com has good prices on demo or barely used items.
                            ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post

Keep an eye out on Sweetwater’s Deals page as well. I picked up a TD-50 Digital Upgrade pack for $1999.00. Good as new and comes with Sweetwater’s 2 Year Warranty. Also, Edrumcenter.com has good prices on demo or barely used items.

Thanks. My local used Roland eBay dealer just got that very same deal two weeks ago! Now that’s a deal!!! He’s going to start using it at his church.

Comment

Working...
                              X