Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Roland vs Alesis vs ??? pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland vs Alesis vs ??? pads

Hello community. I have a need for "very good" portable pads. I have an A2E kit that works very well, save the hi hat But I don't want to lug it all the time. I've briefly looked at Alesis Strike (some quality issues) and DM10x pads and some of the older Roland pads.

Building them this time around is not an option. If it matters, I am triggering with a MP. I will say, I like the portability of the DM10x and Alesis Strike's rack config. But those pads...........

If any one has first hand experience with the above mentioned or other quality pads, I'd appreciate your input. - Six
    Last edited by Six; 03-03-19, 02:53 PM.

Any help from those in the know?

Comment

i had the roland pd105 and pd125 for 9 years and are tried and true. i sold them to do a A to E kit. i never tried the alesis pads but heard triggers collapsing on the strike pads.
      not sure if they fixed the issue.
      Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

"quality pads"? Yamaha silicone.
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

Thank you both. I just started to really look at the DTX silicon pads by Yamaha. I wish they were 12" and 13", I'd probably buy a 760 and sell off the other part. My A2E is 13" all around except the bass.

Comment

I've been researching the Roland TD30K and have come across a few for sale. Is it a good fit for the MP module? What is a good price for a nice one? And reasonably, what could I sell the module for? Thx for you input.

Comment

Originally posted by Six View Post
              I've been researching the Roland TD30K and have come across a few for sale. Is it a good fit for the MP module? What is a good price for a nice one? And reasonably, what could I sell the module for? Thx for you input.
              Works great and you might get $1200 or more for the module.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Works great and you might get $1200 or more for the module.
                Encouraging. What about used kit cost initially? And what hidden gotcha's should I look out for?

Comment

FYI. The strike drum pads were recently redesigned. They should not have breaking issues like the previous version. It is also a very nice playing design. They can be played across the whole surface with no hotspotting or deadspots. If you like those pads the new ones should not give you issues. They aren't perfect though. Im not a fan that to change the head they need to be removed from the kit and I don't like the mounting hardware. But the quality has gone up.

Comment

Purpledc, thank you for the info. I will see if a local dealer has them for review. It's certainly been long enough for them to address a rather simple issue.

Then TD30K is high on the list if I can negotiate a fair deal on a clean kit. I'm also looking into all 12" DTX pads. Very different options.

Comment

Originally posted by Six View Post
                      Purpledc, thank you for the info. I will see if a local dealer has them for review. It's certainly been long enough for them to address a rather simple issue.

Then TD30K is high on the list if I can negotiate a fair deal on a clean kit. I'm also looking into all 12" DTX pads. Very different options.
                      TD30K is a great kit. Silicone pads a bit like playing on a frog's back to me, it was my first impression and I am stealing someone else's words but yes, a little spongy imo. Roland pads are super reliable and getting drum-tec Real Feel 3 ply heads will change the game. Tighten them well and visit the "once and for all hot spotting" thread and you are in excellent shape. Rim sensitivity and rim shots A+.
                      Last edited by Howstamychi; 03-08-19, 02:33 PM. Reason: posessive case

Comment

The hunt is on! I will be back to the music stores for some touchy, feely sessions . And then start the negotiation process. I appreciate the input. If anyone else has more info please weigh in.

Comment

If the price is right then it will be a great kit once you add the Mimic. Another more amazing kit is the ATV Adrums with Mimic. You can get the small Adrum kit and Mimic for around $4500 or less. That is what I use. This is currently the ultimate Edrum setup.

Comment

Hello Peter, thank you for the input. My A2E kit resembles the ATV. I was trying to decrease my transport load . For some reason when I struck out on this venture, the thought was I'd have less to take on a gig. Nothing is further from the truth.

As for ATV and Mimic, I still have not been able to get a clean/crisp HiHat. I don't know what you ATV users are doing, but if you have a saved sample of one, I'd sure appreciate it.

The articulation got better with the last firmware update, but it's still not like what I hear on VEX's videos and some others. I believe VEX uses a Roland, but I would think the ATV should dial in precisely as well.

Comment

i didn't know playing on dead frogs could feel so addictive but they do.. (dtx-900) ..and those pads are very compact too..
                              it's just you don't find them used much (the bigger sizes) and they are really expensive new .. you can find loads of roland pads used ..

Comment

Working...
                              X