Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Upgrading From Alesis Command Mesh Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading From Alesis Command Mesh Kit

First of all, just to say that I wish I'd found this place much sooner. It seems that it might have helped me out last year when I bought my first kit. I've seen a lot of people say that a classic rookie mistake is to cheap out on the first kit and I am definitely in that camp. My current kit is an Alesis Command Mesh. Here is what annoys me about it:
    • Hi Hat pedal is difficult to get anything other than full open or fully closed, also difficult to splash. Single zone only.
    • The cymbals are small, 2 zone but the module only supports single zone triggering. No ride bell.
    • The aux input is muddy and distorted
    • I'm running this through a loop pedal at the moment to get better aux input from phone/laptop and preamp it
    • Module sounds are limited and not great (but reasonable for the money)
    But... it's a good beginner kit and I don't totally regret buying it. It has shown me that I do enjoy drumming... a lot. This cost me 650, but if I'd have spent 1500 back then and didn't use it I would be more annoyed.

Getting to the point, I've done a fair bit of reading here, checking out Youtube (65 drums etc) and reading manuals and the like. So I have much more of an idea of how clueless I was just a couple of weeks ago I've come up with a few options that I would like to get some opinions on, because I am still new to this. By way of background information, I am interested in the DIY aspect of this including A2E conversion, I can see myself getting into this as a project later down the road, as much as the enjoyment of playing.

Here are the three options I have come up with so far:

Option 1 - TD-17KVX Kit, HH Stand (1350 with hardware)
    Pros:
    TD17 Module is new, generally great and people seem to like the sounds
    Kit includes VH-10
    Nice large mesh pads, three zone ride
    Immediately sell Alesis kit (400?)
    Cons:
    Cable snake may annoy me later (splitting / positioning etc)
    Not a fan of the Roland rack
    Cymbals a bit small for what I'd like
    My current pads are ok
    Not enough of an upgrade for the money?

Option 2 - TD-50 Digital Upgrade Pack, Roland Cymbals (VH-10, CY-14C x 2), Hardware for cymbals and module mount (3000 with hardware)
    Pros:
    TD-50 module so top of the range
    Digital Ride is huge
    Nice large and substantial digital snare
    Long term support and upgradabilty
    Get the mix of Roland cymbals I want
    Cons:
    Crazy expensive
    My Alesis tom pads and rack will annoy me and I would then spend another 500 to replace them five minutes after buying all this stuff (though I can sell the whole Alesis kit)
    The cost

Option 3 - 2box Drumit 3, Roland Cymbals (VH-10, CY-14C x 2, CY-15R), Hardware for cymbals and module mount (1650 with hardware)
    Pros:
    Drumit 3 has individual inputs
    Very configurable, compatible with existing pads
    Community support, DIY-ability (Support of future plans)
    Get the larger Roland cymbals I want
    Upgrade the worst of the Alesis kit first, then address the rest later.
    Cons:
    Not as user friendly
    Will need tweaking, add own samples
    Still more than TD-17KVX
    Hang onto Alesis parts for time being

I didn't consider the TD50-K and up because it's too much for my budget. Seeing the opinion here on TD-25K+ it also seems to be out of the sweet spot for a lot of things.

Because of where I am, It's difficult to see or get onto any of this equipment to try. I need to order it from the UK or Germany. I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thanks!
    2box Drumit 3, Pearl Export A2E conversion. Roland Cymbals CY-15R CY-14C VH-10
Working...
X