Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

"Thinking" of selling my Mimic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReeseRocket
    started a topic "Thinking" of selling my Mimic

"Thinking" of selling my Mimic

So. I'm "thinking" of selling my Pearl Mimic Pro with hardshell padded case, touch screen saver and Vex Origins kits. I've only used it twice. I bought from Sweetwater a year and a half ago. What do y'all think it would sell for?

• Chris K
    replied
    Originally posted by ReeseRocket View Post

Thank you for explaining it better than me. True, I'm not complaining about the sound of Mimic. Yes, I do gig 130-150 times a year. Set up and tear down 3 times a week minimum all in different city's.
    You could plug it on midi then, but I know several people use it live, they don't have do to all calibration night after night, just use sticker on your triggers, tom1, tom2, tom3 and tom4, snare 1, cymbal 1, 2, 3, 4. If proper threshold on each pad, all should be fines, if issue, do one cross talk suppression for that triggers input only, take me 5 min to do all crosstalk suppression for 15 triggers. ( you don't need to wait the fader goes down for this)

The things is when you are used for 10 years and more, anythings new will be just headcache, it's new system, just keep what you are using!
    Last edited by Chris K; 03-13-19, 02:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

My quote was about the TD 50 vs TD30. From your past comments,I am not sure that you would like the 50 better. I believe the Mimic could produce the type if sounds that you like.
    He bought 2 times td-50 and he return it both. TD-30 sound are more what he is looking on style.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Warren
    replied

Thank you for explaining it better than me. True, I'm not complaining about the sound of Mimic. Yes, I do gig 130-150 times a year. Set up and tear down 3 times a week minimum all in different city's.
    My quote was about the TD 50 vs TD30. From your past comments,I am not sure that you would like the 50 better. I believe the Mimic could produce the type of sounds that you like.
    Last edited by Peter Warren; 03-13-19, 11:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ReeseRocket
    replied
    Originally posted by alensiljak View Post

Interesting, but I haven't noticed that Reese was referring to any sounds at all in his question or the comments. Somehow I only noticed that wants a painless process where he does not have to position and calibrate the pads every time he sets up the kit (which is practically daily).
    No matter what the sounds are like, I kinda appreciate the pain he goes through every time he sets up the kit.

Leave a comment:

• alensiljak
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Considering the type of sound Reese is looking for
    Interesting, but I haven't noticed that Reese was referring to any sounds at all in his question or the comments. Somehow I only noticed that he wants a painless process where he does not have to position and calibrate the pads every time he sets up the kit (which is practically daily).
    No matter what the sounds are like, I kinda appreciate the pain he goes through every time he sets up the kit.

In my case, on the other hand, Mimic would be perfect as I only use the e-kit for home practice and fun. And that's actually exactly why I'm not about to get one as it would be an expensive toy. Economically, I could get a brand new laptop for 1/4 of the price, put some VSTs on it and get a similar sound. Double that amount and get a pro software with over-100-layer samples. Still less than half the coins of Mimic but it adds another barrier to the ease-of-use.
    Really, if the practice kit is not a push-button solution, it's not going to get used much (unfortunately!) if you're a hobby drummer. I still go for the pad more often than the kit even though the kit just requires turning the power and two modules on. When you only have 15-20 minutes to spare at a time, everything that eats into that is a nuisance.
    Anyway, I'm getting side-tracked here.
    Last edited by alensiljak; 03-13-19, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alan VEX
    replied
    Moved; as it's turned into an "product advice" topic that may help others in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Warren
    replied
    Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
    Personally I am not one to hold on to equipment just for the sake of what if. If you have only used the Mimic two times in the last year that is saying a lot. It obviously does not fit your needs, and based on your comments the cons seem to out way the pros.

I recently switched back to the TD-50 from the Mimic and don't regret it one bit. My timing could not have been better with VEX's recent release of the Infinity pack. This pack has taken the TD-50 to a whole new level. It really is quite amazing.

Maybe sell your Mimic and get a TD-50 with Infinity Pack.
    Considering the type of sound Reese is looking for,I think the TD30 would be better than the 50. It has very fat processed sounds with less top end and upper mid snare wire sound.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Warren
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
    PS roland stuff is not pre-calibrated =) When you have just 2-3 velocity layers in crash or any other instrument - there is no need for precise calibration, it just plays a little quieter or louder, the sound is the same. I think you'll skip my words but I just have to say it.
    =))))))
    I think this is something a lot of people don't realize. I played a TD20 through BFD over 10 years ago and became aware of misstriggering in the TD20 that was masked by the internal sounds. There was cross talk on all the cymbals that couldn't be heard with the single sample internal sounds.

I think Reese should keep the Mimic. I am getting the picture that he just likes processed punchy sounds and they could be made with the current stock library. I also think that if the CLA expansion is released for the Mimic,it would be very ideal for what he is looking for. I have used CLA in trigger to layer on acoustic drum recordings a lot.

I understand some people love the TD50. I thought it was fun to play but was always shocked when I heard back a recording. The new VEX pack has improved it a lot but I still hear the same sound character and repetitive sample issues. I did see a guy called "Mad in the Hat" at Roland NAMM using a TD50 with intentionally electronic processed sounds with delays etc. I thought it was great and really made good use of it.

Leave a comment:

• Ericdrumz
    replied
    I have gotten a couple of KILLER snare drum sounds out of Mimic using internal sounds and layering them with snare samples from Roland TD-30 and Yamaha DTX900. I know it sounds crazy but i like it. Cracky, fat, in your face snare sounds. We all have different tastes. Not quite ready to let go.
    cool.. but that's odd.. because mimic has got the best snare samples, in my book.. finally somebody captured and preserved the 'complete' snare characters
    from soft notes to rim shots.. but then there's always some other sounds you don't like .. and if they're permanent memory then that's a 'problem' .. but stacking or mixing them can be a solution..

Leave a comment:

• Howstamychi
    replied
    Originally posted by Intruder View Post

Howstamychi. It was a joke I would of thought the Medeli mention would of been a dead giveaway.
    Just being the devils a$$hat as usual.
    You got me although the Medeli DD61 looks like fierce competition Good one!

Leave a comment:

• Intruder
    replied
    Originally posted by jammin777 View Post

the only way i would EVER sell my mimic is if a mimic version 2 ever came out. i really doubt that would happen soon as the mimic has a ton of life and updates / upgrades that can be had
    I agree and hope so about the updates.

Howstamychi. It was a joke I would of thought the Medeli mention would of been a dead giveaway.
    Just being the devils a$$hat as usual.

Leave a comment:

• jammin777
    replied
    Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post

Either way the Slate and Pearl team have created a gorgeous musical instrument. I will always be selling old gear and buying new stuff, but this one is a keeper and needs no magical updates. It's a Moog/Oberheim for drummers.

Sounds like it's getting some newfound use by this thread starter. Stacking sounds is neat.
    the only way i would EVER sell my mimic is if a mimic version 2 ever came out. i really doubt that would happen soon as the mimic has a ton of life and updates / upgrades that can be had

Leave a comment:

• Howstamychi
    replied
    Originally posted by Intruder View Post
    Shhhhhh, rumor is DWGWA has the Mimic killer almost ready. They are just waiting for some updates from Medeli. It's a secretive kind of thing you know.
    I think you're joking but if not, it ain't going to be the GEWA that's a Mimic killer. I think it would be pretty hard to kill, despite the suggestion from respected developer. The Mimic is a virtual Ludwig 3 ply that can only be rivaled by another virtual VST in a box, which we already know the GEWA is not. If DWGWA stands for something else forgive me.

Either way the Slate and Pearl team have created a gorgeous musical instrument. I will always be selling old gear and buying new stuff, but this one is a keeper and needs no magical updates. It's a Moog/Oberheim for drummers.

Sounds like it's getting some newfound use by this thread starter. Stacking sounds is neat.

Leave a comment:

• Roving Drummer
    replied
    You have a TD11, TD30 and Mimic pro and the only one you choose not to use is the Mimic….definitely get rid of it. It clearly doesn’t do it for you and I can’t imagine what future updates will do to change your mind. Theres a good home out there with someone who will love it. PMPs do not belong in boxes on shelves.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X