Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

VH12 versus ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JQ85
    started a topic VH12 versus ???

VH12 versus ???

Hi All,

So a bit of background. I have a Roland td 12 using a VH12 as my hi hat. I run Steven Slate through midi. Im not overwhelmed with the performance of the hi hat. I find it can be sluggish,very noisy and not realistic feeling at all. The vh12s were bought second hand so maybe that's a factor. But i have read that while the vh12 will work with a td12, really the vh11 performs better with my module. So I'm looking for alternatives.

VH13 I can't justify the expense, for a very similar product which not sure if it works with my module. How about a vh11, have people found a drop off in performance between it and the vh12?

I have recently converted some L80s using stealth triggers and am very happy with the results. So I would really like to try something like this. Full sized 14 inch real hi hats, the 2 options I see for this are Stealth triggers or Magnatrack triggers. Does anyone have any experience with these for hi hats?

Ideally I would like a set of real hats with triggers on them, but would settle for a vh11 version of this with just a top real cymbal and a GoEdrum controller. Any experiences with this?

Cheers,
    JQ

• yzf125
    replied
    Originally posted by mayhemkrew View Post
    So I am going to piggy back a question in this topic (if you don't mind). I have the VH-13 with my TD-30 kit, I trigger solely Superior Drummer 3, and I find the triggering in SD3 is not very accurate. I had selected the TD-30 preset in SD3, I have factory reset my module, I have re-claibrated the VH-13 in the module, and I have tried to tweak the hi-hat open/close values in SD3. The problem I run into is when playing an open hi-hat it will choke itself every so often instead of getting that great open sound consistently.

So do you think getting a VH-11 would be a better choice since it's only 1 pad with a controller?
    I have had them both but currently play a solid cymbal pad with a FD-7 foot controller. The problem you are describing Is the reason I wen back to a cheap basic setup. I had that same issue with both the 11 & 12. Till there is a better solution I am sticking with this setup for now.

Leave a comment:

• mayhemkrew
    replied
    So I am going to piggy back a question in this topic (if you don't mind). I have the VH-13 with my TD-30 kit, I trigger solely Superior Drummer 3, and I find the triggering in SD3 is not very accurate. I had selected the TD-30 preset in SD3, I have factory reset my module, I have re-claibrated the VH-13 in the module, and I have tried to tweak the hi-hat open/close values in SD3. The problem I run into is when playing an open hi-hat it will choke itself every so often instead of getting that great open sound consistently.

So do you think getting a VH-11 would be a better choice since it's only 1 pad with a controller?

Leave a comment:

• JQ85
    replied
    That's some good advice thanks. I have Vexpression kits saved into the module, not the normal kits. Will updating the software delete or affect these, like a factory reboot?

Stupid question, what leads do I need to update it? I got my td12 second hand. So not sure on the process.

Leave a comment:

• chipster
    replied
    I also run the TD11 hats with a TD12 module and I have not had any bad issues with it. I've played a friends TD20 with the TD12 hats and I liked my combination better imo. Version 1.11 software upgrade for the TD12 also expanded the Hi-hat settings which improved performance. If you have not upgraded to 1.11 I definitely would do so.

Leave a comment:

• JQ85
    replied
    Thanks for all the input guys. Here's a question for you. Could I switch out the top of the VH12 with a real cymbal and use triggers on it? So the bottom would still act as the controller and I'd still have a pair of hi hats rather than just 1 top like the vh11?

Leave a comment:

• mkok
    replied
    Iím not sure I would swap a vh12 for an 11 or 10. In my house we have a td20 expanded and a td30 with a vh11 and vh12. My kit is the td30 and I prefer the feel and triggering of my vh12 to the vh11. I have tried them both on both modules as well. Do check out your vh12 as they do tend to break the wires. I last repaired mine about 2 years ago and it works really well.

Leave a comment:

• blakemcginnis
    replied
    I should clarify that I am only using the onboard module sounds, no VSTs through midi - in case that might be contributing to the sluggish-ness. However, my comments on the vh-11 feeling realistic and not being very noisy should still be relevant.

Leave a comment:

• blakemcginnis
    replied
    Just to toss in a vote for the Vh-11 and td-12 combo. I had the td-12 for about a decade and just recently bought the td-20. The VH-11 i've had for over 10 years is still working great. It's good enough to not take you out of the feeling of playing real drums. I only notice the rubber sound if i'm not wearing headphones and the sound system is very low. I had thought about upgrading to a vh-12, but these comments are making me think I should stick with what I have. You would think only having one cymbal instead of two for hi-hats would seem strange, but it has enough rocking motion that it feels right to me. I may check out the VH-10 also - not sure if it would be an upgrade, but I wasn't even aware it existed.

Leave a comment:

• ReeseRocket
    replied
    As far as playability. VH-11 is a lighter feel than the VH-13. I have both and I the VH-11 because it's just 1 pads gives better (Not has heavy moving 2 cy pads with 1 stick). To me they both trigger great. As far as price goes, Chris K has a point. Go check out the VH-10. It's priced right.

Leave a comment:

• JQ85
    replied
    Do you have any experience using the Go Edrum controller and using a low volume cymbal with triggers on it for a hi hat. Think it could be a good alternative. Really don't like the feel of rubber hi hats.

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    I would go with newer vh10. I have vh11 but vh10 is the last generation similar to vh11.
    Last edited by Chris K; 02-13-19, 11:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X