Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

VH12 versus ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH12 versus ???

Hi All,

So a bit of background. I have a Roland td 12 using a VH12 as my hi hat. I run Steven Slate through midi. Im not overwhelmed with the performance of the hi hat. I find it can be sluggish,very noisy and not realistic feeling at all. The vh12s were bought second hand so maybe that's a factor. But i have read that while the vh12 will work with a td12, really the vh11 performs better with my module. So I'm looking for alternatives.

VH13 I can't justify the expense, for a very similar product which not sure if it works with my module. How about a vh11, have people found a drop off in performance between it and the vh12?

I have recently converted some L80s using stealth triggers and am very happy with the results. So I would really like to try something like this. Full sized 14 inch real hi hats, the 2 options I see for this are Stealth triggers or Magnatrack triggers. Does anyone have any experience with these for hi hats?

Ideally I would like a set of real hats with triggers on them, but would settle for a vh11 version of this with just a top real cymbal and a GoEdrum controller. Any experiences with this?

Cheers,
    JQ

I would go with newer vh10. I have vh11 but vh10 is the last generation similar to vh11.
    Last edited by Chris K; 02-14-19, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Do you have any experience using the Go Edrum controller and using a low volume cymbal with triggers on it for a hi hat. Think it could be a good alternative. Really don't like the feel of rubber hi hats.

Comment

As far as playability. VH-11 is a lighter feel than the VH-13. I have both and I the VH-11 because it's just 1 pads gives better (Not has heavy moving 2 cy pads with 1 stick). To me they both trigger great. As far as price goes, Chris K has a point. Go check out the VH-10. It's priced right.

Comment

Just to toss in a vote for the Vh-11 and td-12 combo. I had the td-12 for about a decade and just recently bought the td-20. The VH-11 i've had for over 10 years is still working great. It's good enough to not take you out of the feeling of playing real drums. I only notice the rubber sound if i'm not wearing headphones and the sound system is very low. I had thought about upgrading to a vh-12, but these comments are making me think I should stick with what I have. You would think only having one cymbal instead of two for hi-hats would seem strange, but it has enough rocking motion that it feels right to me. I may check out the VH-10 also - not sure if it would be an upgrade, but I wasn't even aware it existed.

Comment

I should clarify that I am only using the onboard module sounds, no VSTs through midi - in case that might be contributing to the sluggish-ness. However, my comments on the vh-11 feeling realistic and not being very noisy should still be relevant.

Comment

Im not sure I would swap a vh12 for an 11 or 10. In my house we have a td20 expanded and a td30 with a vh11 and vh12. My kit is the td30 and I prefer the feel and triggering of my vh12 to the vh11. I have tried them both on both modules as well. Do check out your vh12 as they do tend to break the wires. I last repaired mine about 2 years ago and it works really well.
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Here's a question for you. Could I switch out the top of the VH12 with a real cymbal and use triggers on it? So the bottom would still act as the controller and I'd still have a pair of hi hats rather than just 1 top like the vh11?

Comment

Working...
                X