Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Upgrade from TD-30 to either TD-50 or Mimic Pro?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from TD-30 to either TD-50 or Mimic Pro?

For live gigging, which one really has the best advantage for classic and alt rock style drumming ? Thanks.

Someone will give a better comparative view as I only have experience of td11 and mimic, but the mimic has truly wonderful natural sounds. After 2 months with it I remain absurdly happy and still grin at single stroke sounds. I think it would be hard to beat for your application.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Beanster View Post
        For live gigging, which one really has the best advantage for classic and alt rock style drumming ? Thanks.
        I'd give weight to Mimic on this one. Advantage? Best out of the box sound for classic acoustic results. Alt rock would just take some mixing. (EQ, Comp, etc.)
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Definitely Mimic. It has Eq and compression on every mic of every drum which would give you the ability to create exact alt rock drums and classic sounds.

Comment

Hiya!

Perhaps you could explain the "issues" you have the TD30 - then suggestions of something to improve would be easier based on those criteria
            *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
            Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

I think the biggest issue I have with the td-30 is trying to get good cymbal sounds. Iíve had the gentlemen at vex create some kits for me and the drums sound incredible but the cymbals do not sound so great. Iím playing live so I want the cymbals to sound good but not too harsh. I donít record that much just a little bit so itís more important how I get a good sound in the live setting. There is someone I know who is selling their td-50 module for $1600.00 and wondering if I should upgrade to a td-50 or just get another td-30 for backup or just get the mimic pro. I was hoping to get something that can always be upgraded and not have to kerp buying new modules every two years. I have a td-20x for practice kit and s td-30 for Live gigging. Just trying to make the best long term decision.
              Last edited by Beanster; 01-25-19, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I think the biggest issue I have with the td-30 is trying to get good cymbal sounds. Iíve had the gentlemen at vex create some kits for me and the drums sound incredible but the cymbals do not sound so great. Iím playing live so I want the cymbals to sound good but not too harsh. I donít record that much just a little bit so itís more important how I get a good sound in the live setting. There is someone I know who is selling their td-50 module for $1600.00 and wondering if I should upgrade to a td-50 or just get another td-30 for backup or just get the mimic pro. I was hoping to get something that can always be upgraded and not have to kerp buying new modules every two years. I have a td-20x for practice kit and s td-30 for Live gigging. Just trying to make the best long term decision.
                There should be a free Slate Drums 5 kit that you could try if you use VST software. Those sounds would be a small part of the Mimic. The Mimic has alot of room for expansion and very real sounds.

Comment

You can discuss about the sounds whether you like it or not. The factory sounds of the TD50 are crap, my opinion. Thanks there are a lot of sound libraries which do much better.
                  For me there is another point people seems not to think about. It seems that the mimic pro is the edrum product Pearl do not want to have. Why do I think so? They are only selling the module without selling any Pads or other stuff. Come on, this is a drum company. Availability is awful. Speaking for the European market, there is no customer support. They do not know how handle broken modules. If you look at the marketing they seems to focus on the e-merge completely. Maybe it will be released, sometime. Same as Gewa/DW. It is a lot of money buying a product without support.

Comment

I was very happy with the TD-50ís cymbal sounds and playability. IMHO, I think the Mimicís cymbals, excluding the hihat, are the biggest weakness of the module. There are no drumstick tip articulations for the crashes and all the SSD5 rides have the same generic edge crash sound. Also, how about some rimshot articulations for the toms? I keep waiting for Pearl / Slate to release some sound updates but with the release of SSD5 software and there being no improvements I am not feeling to hopeful right now.

If you can grab a TD-50 for $1600, get it. That is a great price! If you end up hating it Iím confident you could resell it and get your money out of it. Trying to find something that can always be upgraded is great, but in the end we are still at the mercy of the manufacturer to follow through and update their product.
                    Last edited by Chance27; 01-26-19, 09:00 AM.
                    ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate you taking the time out to share this with me. Here is my current situationÖ On my practice Roland Drums kit in my garage which I record with Iím currently using a TD-20X module which Chris at vex expressions make me a couple of nice kits and I did some tweaking myself. I have a TD 30 module with TD20 pad/cymbal kit that Iím using on stage. The pads and cymbols are from a TD20 kit I just upgraded to the TD30 module. So now itís 2019 and I may be doing some live gigging again and I went ahead and mustíve looked at at least 30 videos comparing td50 to TD30. Just about everyone of them said stay with the TD30 in the biggest reason I said that is because the digital ride and the digital snare in the TD 50 has taken up so much room in the module that Roland had to shortchange the customer on snare sounds and choices and cymbal sounds and Tom sounds etc. So All things considered I wonít be able to afford the new ride cymbal and the new digital snare. My biggest question I guess I have throughout all of this is using my standard pads and cymbals from my Td 20 kit with the TD 50 module is that worth stepping up to the TD 50 module? I have my doubts about the Mimic Pro based on some of the feedback Iíve gotten regarding support, screen burn, not very good cymbal sounds, etc. so I am leaning toward the TD 50 or another TD30 The thing is I need a back up module on stage so once again I own a TD 20X and a TD 30 So my big decision is really get the TD 50 for 1600 or should I just get another TD30? I canít think everybody enough for all the replies because itís really opened my eyes and I appreciate everyone taking the time out to reply. Also is there any direction/information on using my TD20X or TD30 to trigger Steven Slate drums with my laptops?

Comment

I have my doubts about the Mimic Pro based on some of the feedback Iíve gotten regarding support, screen burn, not very good cymbal sounds,

Screen burn never existed, it's was "ghost screen" text some time appears on pale background, not annoying at all, on few time, adjust contract\ brightness calibration, it's gone. Support? this module have been updated more then all existence of Roland and with new feature, on facebook, developer is there read and posting sometime, cymbal sound is subjective, Allan from Vex prefer Mimic cymbal then td-30\td-50, but at the moment there is no tips sound on crash.

Keep in mind once you buy Roland there is no more update, they release fix since td-30 erra. On Mimic are working on new stuff, they won't tell you when it's available until it's released.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 01-26-19, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Update as of today. Here are some options I have to consider.

(1) buy s used TD-50 upgrade pack for $2500.00 and add to my TD-20X kit that has the three (3) 125 pads and the two (2) 105 pads and typical cy-12, cy-14ís, and cy-15s and KD120 kick drum as well as extra pd-85 for high end Tom.

(2) Get a used TD-30 KV full kit and rack (in mint condition) for $2500.00 plus approximately (?) $700.00 for shipping as it includes throne, pedals, two speakers and stands etc.

decisions decisions ..... both have advantages. Just looking for some opinions.

Comment

Option 2.
                            Alan
                            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Thanks Alan.

Comment

Working...
                              X