Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Fill me in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fill me in

Was heavily into electronic drums, 'til a situation necessitated that I use acoustics. I had an elaborate TD-12 outfit. Anyway, in the market for a basic ekit. When I gave up elec. drums, Pearl had come up with a kit that used real samples. There was another brand whose name escapes me, that had some orange drums and a real sample module. Don't need a wide variety of kits, but need them to be real samples. Advice anyone? I used BFD and Toontrack VSTs with my TD-12, but don't need or want the computer needed to go that route. Thanks so very much.
    No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

The orange drums were from 2Box, but I don't think they make kits any longer. ATV makes the aD5 that uses real samples and they make kits as well (aDrums.)

Hope this helps.
    TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

If money isn't of too much concern, but quality is, look at a Mimic module with an ATV kit. Cymbal choice is all preference. Some like ATV cyms; some like Roland cyms.

That's pretty much the most common "desired" setup these days when it comes to your quality/sound qualifications. (assuming you're not looking for 80's synth sounds, or the like as default)

All that said, I'd personally wait to see what comes out with NAMM this week.
      Alan
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

the mimic has realistic drum samples along with many layers and round robin samples so that when doing fast drum rolls sounds realistic. ( no machine gunning) the mimic also has close mics, overhead and room mics all adjustable to taste in sound.. a lot like a pro drum studio in a box.
        you can go to this sight and listen to vex kit samples to give an idea how it sounds.

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Thanks for the replies. For some reason I was expecting an email when responses were posted, so I guess I did something wrong. Anyway, I appreciate the help very much. Vex kids were around back when I was active. Do they still use COSM modeling? Those samples hit my ears funny, but if they're realistic enough, I'd be open to them. I'm gonna be doing a long distance group project, and really want acoustics-sounding sounds. Money is not much of an issue, so if I have to go the VST route, I will, but I was hoping technology had advanced.

Comment

Agree completely with Alan - Mimic/ATV all the way. For now that is...
            Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

I have the Mimic with ATV drums/cymbals and Roland cymbals. It is amazing !

Comment

Originally posted by Relayer View Post
                Thanks for the replies. For some reason I was expecting an email when responses were posted, so I guess I did something wrong. Anyway, I appreciate the help very much. Vex kids were around back when I was active. Do they still use COSM modeling? Those samples hit my ears funny, but if they're realistic enough, I'd be open to them. I'm gonna be doing a long distance group project, and really want acoustics-sounding sounds. Money is not much of an issue, so if I have to go the VST route, I will, but I was hoping technology had advanced.
                There's a button at the top right to subscribe; but be sure to visit your user settings/profile to adjust what emails you wish to receive.

VEX is still around, but sound quality has changed drastically over the years. VEX supports Roland and Pearl. Just another reason I recommended the Mimic. If you're just going to end up doing VST only, then look for a TD-30... if you can find one. Mimic would still be the first choice to cover the bases. You can always VST in the DAW afterwards. Best of both worlds.
                Alan

Comment

That Mimic seems pretty sweet.

Comment

That Mimic seems pretty sweet.
                    It definitely is, and it's my favorite module these days. I've had requests to do some projects with it, all because of the resulting sound. They've been extremely pleased and asked for more. lol It's pretty much like having VST quality in a box that is a studio. I have a video on it here: https://youtu.be/Czu1DY4Knhk
                    Alan

Comment

So the Mimic seems the thing to do. Now about a kit. The ATV kits seem appealing, but I really just wanted something simple with rubber pads. Need chokable cymbals though. I'd really like something with 1 rack, 1 floor, snare and kick. Money is not an issue, I have some physical problems with my hands, and rubber is easier for me to play on. Thanks so much to everyone for being so helpful and offering such good advice.

Comment

Well, honestly, just about anything will work. You've got the sound sorted.

Given your position on pads, it really sounds like you have very few choices. Most companies are moving away from rubber, so that will leave you looking at mostly entry-level kits, or pads that are similar purely in feel. Roland & Yamaha have decent rubber kits; but again, they are small and entry-level quality. You'd just have to sell the modules off.

Given you description, I'd personally look at the TD-17 or 25 kits myself. (mesh, but smaller diameters) Otherwise, you may be looking at building your own kit from scratch. (buying a ton of hardware and pads all separately. With the 17 & 25, it will be easy to sell the modules. Almost everything else is going to stick you with a module that will sit in a box unused.

I'm sure others will have some additional ideas.
                        Alan

Comment

The more I looked at the ATV kits,and the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like that was the way to go. I played on mesh pads for quite a while, so I think it's just a matter of reacquainting myself with them. So I went ahead and bought the Mimic and the basic ATV kit (adding China and Splash). Thanks so much, folks.
                          Last edited by Relayer; 01-24-19, 09:08 PM. Reason: update.

Comment

I read online that a guy was having issues with dialing his Mimic into the ATV kit. Any pitfalls I should look for? Surely there are templates.

Comment

I read online that a guy was having issues with dialing his Mimic into the ATV kit. Any pitfalls I should look for? Surely there are templates.
                              That surprises me. - it's been nearly plug-n-play for me. Minor tweaking as with all pads.
                              Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Working...
                              X