Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Which is the best multipad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the best multipad?

Hi guys,
    Recently I'm getting interested to multipads... but I'm not so expert on this!
    I would like to ask you which one is in your opinion the best multipad on the market, and which one of them has the looping feature... Strike Multipad, SPDX, SPD30, Nord Drum 3P, Yamaha DTX Multi 12....

Thanks...

There is no "best". They're all different. It depends on how you want to use it. The SPDsx and Multi12 are very very different animals for example.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I was an early adopter of the SPD-SX. I've found it to meet all my needs. I use Audacity (free) to cut and manipulate samples. Looping, dynamics (on/off), muting one or more pads when striking another pad (or footswitch) and the ability to set up multiple footswitches and BT-1's with sounds have certainly helped me cover a lot of percussion, loops and strange studio adds when playing in a cover band.
      Last edited by dennisdoubleu; 01-18-19, 10:32 AM.
      E-kit: TD50KV with KD A22, SPD-SX, BT-1, Acoustic: DW Custom, Maple Mahogany, Zildjian K Customs, Sweet and Darks, Pork Pie Thrones, Tama Speed Cobras and DW HW, Zildjian sticks. Midas 32C, MD421, EV ND46, ND96, SM57, SM81. Past kits include Roland TD9 Mesh and TD30K.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
        There is no "best". They're all different. It depends on how you want to use it. The SPDsx and Multi12 are very very different animals for example.
        True.

Comment

Wait winter namm first.

but

shorts summary.

-SPD-30, can be mini drum kit, with hihat supports, external triggers, cannot imports sample, have drum, percussion, fx, electronic sound and can do internal loop phrase.

-SPD-SX can sample, imports sample, can do loop, these include mute group,phrase mono\poly, song\click track wav link, one shot sample, not for drum usage, no hihat supports, can have 2 stereo external triggers, footswtich, no velocity layers only 2 simultaneous sound per pad, 2 spd-sx version 4G\ 16GB

-Nord drums 3p is analog drum sound only, without imports sample.

-Yamaha DTX Multi 12, can do mini kit, hihat supports, have external triggers, footswitch, hand playing sensing on pad, have drum sound, percussion, fx, electronic sound, loop, mute group, can layer 4 sound, limitation to 64mb imports sound, Ipad editor to edit more easily.

-Strike Multipad, up to 38 sample per kit, velocity a and b, control the velocity switch sound fading point option, hihat supports, footswitch, external triggers, have drum sound, percussion, loop, electronic, fx, 32GB memory, came with approx 6gb of sound, can imports sample and sampler, you can select one shots,phrase, mute, random\cycle pad group to create melodic or random sound on single hit per pad.
          Last edited by Chris K; 01-18-19, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
            Wait winter namm first.
            -Strike Multipad, up to 38 sample per kit, velocity a and b, control the velocity switch sound fading point option, hihat supports, footswitch, external triggers, have drum sound, percussion, loop, electronic, fx, 32GB memory, came with approx 6gb of sound, can imports sample and sampler, you can select one shots,phrase, mute, random\cycle pad group to create melodic or random sound on single hit per pad.
            I have a SPD-SX, but there's one feature on the Strike multipad you missed and that I'd love. The little LED timer bar that tells you how much longer the sample has to play (if you use it that way.)
            Mimic+DDTI, ATV aDrums (3 up, 2 down, 3x16" Crash, 1x18" Ride, 1x10" Splash, 1x12" Splash, 1x17" China, 1x14" Hat), Dual CowPaddy, 2xBT1, SPD-SX, Trick Pro1V2 Pedals/Hihat

Comment

Originally posted by Thecklos View Post

I have a SPD-SX, but there's one feature on the Strike multipad you missed and that I'd love. The little LED timer bar that tells you how much longer the sample has to play (if you use it that way.)
              I had the spdsx I sell it, did not like it for several reason, their previous spds was more complete out of the box, but that is Roland pattern. Yes the Alesis strike have nice feature.
              Last edited by Chris K; 01-21-19, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Thank you All! I have now a better picture...
                So, at the moment the Strike is catching my interest but is available only at full price!
                Also, the DTX Multi 12 seems to be really interesting!
                Do the Nord Drum 3P has the looping function?

Comment

Originally posted by violaole View Post
                  Thank you All! I have now a better picture...
                  So, at the moment the Strike is catching my interest but is available only at full price!
                  Also, the DTX Multi 12 seems to be really interesting!
                  Do the Nord Drum 3P has the looping function?
                  What you want to do with the multipad, Loop triggering only, Or ?

Ps: Nord drum are analogue ( similar to old Simmons sound, white noise, filter, etc..) and cannot imports sample check on youtube.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 01-21-19, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Ps: Nord drum are analogue ( similar to old simmons sound, white noise, filter, etc..) and cannot imports sample check on youtube.
                    My idea is to introduce a multipad in my configuration (Pearl Mimic Pro) to complete the kit, so I can use the acoustic sound of the drum module with the synthetic ones of the multipad together.
                    Also I need looping function to create loops in real time while performing, with start and stop function... etc something like this : min 1:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y1I0hlveT0

I just spent a bit of time watching video about the DTX12m and I see that is pretty old and very difficult to use/program. So is out of games...

Alesis Strike Multipad seems to be perfect! But is really too soon to know about the reliability!

Comment

Ps: Nord drum are analogue ( similar to old simmons sound, white noise, filter, etc..) and cannot imports sample check on youtube.
                      Other examples of what I'd like to do....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P84VLLuY--Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q2fWI768xc

Just whatch the first couple of minutes...

Comment

Then I recommend spd-sx or alesis multi pad, but wait winter namm, Roland might release a new SPD, then take decision.

Alesis have more memory, more flexibility and more sound built in, over 6GB, the spd-sx is limited on the default sound, unless you imports wav sound, the 3 edge pad sensitivity are not good.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 01-21-19, 12:23 PM.

Comment

the only thing no one mention is how fast kit loading the new alesis multipad compare to spd-sx ? we dont know

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
                            the only thing no one mention is how fast kit loading the new alesis multipad compare to spd-sx ? we dont know
                            The guitar center I go to has the new Alesis. I could only spend a minute or 2 with it a few weeks ago, but from what I could tell(and I could be wrong), there was a slight lag time switching kits. the unit was set up weird so I need to go back and check it out when I have more time. Im not sure it was on the screen it should be when playing it. Hopefully I can get out there soon and really check it out.
                            Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
                            Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

Originally posted by Roving Drummer View Post

The guitar center I go to has the new Alesis. I could only spend a minute or 2 with it a few weeks ago, but from what I could tell(and I could be wrong), there was a slight lag time switching kits. the unit was set up weird so I need to go back and check it out when I have more time. Im not sure it was on the screen it should be when playing it. Hopefully I can get out there soon and really check it out.
                              thanks ... i might go to local guitar center to test out when i have a chance before making decision too

Comment

Working...
                              X