Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ē The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Started learning drums - need e-kit advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started learning drums - need e-kit advise

I'm 35 and started learning drums (lessons + books). My current goal is to learn some basics, be able to cover or play along some rock songs, read and play sheet music, etc.

Though I'm mainly interested in playing acoustic drums - I can't play them inside my apartment. Will e-drum kit serve my purpose? I have 1000-1500$ budget.

Won't practicing on an E-kit affect my technique negatively as some suggest (judging by what I've read at "drummerworld" forum)? I'll have access to an A-kit every other week (including the lessons). I think my main challenges will be limb coordination, timing, developing music memory (which sucks) rather than refining the technique. If it's an absolute must I might have a possibility to set up an A-kit in some basement a few blocks from me. But it's much less convenient and would surely reduce my practice time.

Which E-kit within my budget will feel most acoustic-like in terms of geometry, response and feel? (I don't necessarily need the "best" sounds, if it comes at expense of other features). I'd like to have relatively large pads which can be positioned exactly like in acoustic set, and proper hi-hat. Also I'd prefer to avoid full size shells due to space / noise issues.

So far Roland TD 17 KVX seems like an only option, though I'd prefer slightly cheaper solution if possible. Are there other smaller manufacturers which I'm missing? It doesn't have to be a complete set - I don't mind building one myself (except for installing triggers on pads / shells).

Last thing: I'm a leftie and play on a right-handed kit open handed (the hi-hat is positioned slightly forward and lower than usual, and ride is on the left above it). Is such positioning possible with the TD17KVX for example?
    Last edited by michael5139; 01-02-19, 03:46 PM.

TD17kvx is a pretty good and well priced set, for what you get.. it might be slightly above your budget, but, you won't get bored with the sounds,
    have a vh-10 hi-hat, a larger snare pad, and it will keep its value because of brand.. you could find other brands, but you'll only save a couple of
    100 bucks, if you buy used you won't have that module and no vh-10 and a smaller snare (ok, snare is no pd-128 but still 'ok' )
    (if you could find a used td-17 kit or a demo kit from a store that could save some) ..you can set it up 'lefty' ..
    you could buy a td-17 module and build a kit with rt-30 trigs and mesh heads, but with cymbals and hh would still be around the same amount ..
    technique, you'd have to play acoustic regularly to keep that muscle memory .. throw a towel on the 12" snare for wrist practice and buy a standard
    practice pad (ask your teacher) but if you can get a 12" prologix blue lightning pad that would be the best for rudiments etc..

Comment

Call Erik at EdrumCenter, he's currently have Roland TD 17 KVX in stock ...

Comment

Thereís definitely more rebound with mesh heads so what Eric says about a towel makes sense. I use the reflex practice pad for practice and conditioning. Iíd have a discussion with you teacher, provided he is not anti edrum, about the best solution. Itís great youíre taking lessons. Good luck with your quest.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by tivi View Post
          Call Erik at EdrumCenter, he's currently have Roland TD 17 KVX in stock ...
          also some the the best prices
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Thanks.

I already have a real-feel pad which I practice on (usually with a small towel to reduce noise/rebound).

I'm also waiting for a bass pedal. I'll try first the pedal with some improvised pad to see if the noise will be an issue for neighbours (hooefully not since I'm on a ground floor) and then move on to the E kit. for now I'm researching into it.

My teacher actually suggested an e kit and recommended Roland.

I live in Israel so I'll check my local dealers first.

Are there any cuatom options I'm missing such as "drum-it 5"?

Comment

Another question
              If I consider using a laptop to trigger a software via MIDI - does it still makes sense to buy the TD17 module, or invest in better pads?
              Last edited by michael5139; 01-04-19, 03:37 AM.

Comment

I am Kind of in the same boat as you. I got a used TD-11 and I am happy with it. If the Budget allows as TD17KV or KVX: Go for it. It`s brand new, if you don`t like it you will get real good return in a year or two.

If you want to go to Midi/VST later you can buy a used TD-9 Set, for example. But as a start I would try to get something where the module is decent enough so you can practice without having to look at Audio Interfaces, low lateny Environments on the Computer and configuring DAW/VST Software. Except you have the time to practice AND tweak your MIDI Setup, which most 35 Year old don`t have. It`s hard enough to find time for practice.

Oh, and to post stupid Things in Forums *g*

Comment

All kidding aside, yesterday I had time and spent 2 Hours tweaking my VST Setup so I can Play 7000 Euro Drumsets by Sonor and DW on my 900 Euro E-Drumset.
                  Afterwards I felt a little guilty not using the time working on on my chops but on this stuff.
                  Gotta Keep myself away from this Forum for a while *g*

Comment

Regarding TD-17 - if I ever get frustrated by its native sounds, but I don't want to start all the hassle of combining and layering samples myself or using a PC - is there a way to buy some "realistic" sound pack and just upload it into the module?

Comment

Originally posted by michael5139 View Post
                      Regarding TD-17 - if I ever get frustrated by its native sounds, but I don't want to start all the hassle of combining and layering samples myself or using a PC - is there a way to buy some "realistic" sound pack and just upload it into the module?
                      Check out the VEX kits for the TD17.
                      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

I'll check. I'm also considering ordering it from drum-tec which install their own sound packs on it

Comment

Ok I've narrowed it down to a few options:
                          Get a standard td-17 kvx kit from a local supplier (known for its mediocre service) or order it from gear4music.

order the kit only from drum-tec (with their "live sound edition") and a rack separately. this option adds around 70$ overall, but maybe these custom sounds worth it..?

If I order the rack separately I might add 70$ and buy mds9v instead of the standard mds4v - will it work better with the td-17 kvx?

Comment

Where are you situated as you mention Gear4music which is British with a couple of places in Europe yet you quote in dollars? Surely you would be better buying locally?
                            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
                            X