Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

TD-50 Froze During LIVE Performance! HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-50 Froze During LIVE Performance! HELP

On Saturday in the middle of a song during a live performance my TD-50 module froze. It quit making any sound and none of the buttons or dial did anything. Hit the power switch and it wouldn't power down. The screen just showed the kit I was playing but that is it. I eventually pulled the power cable out of the back of the module and shoved it back in. After it powered back up everything seems to be fine. Has anyone experienced this before? This was a huge problem that I can not afford to have again and now I'm worried that it'll do it again. I've got 4 more Christmas Eve services today and I am not feeling very confident in my module at the moment. Firmware is up to date, has been since it was released. Nothing has changed with my set up in a long time. Please respond if you have ever heard of this happening to yourself or anyone. Thanks
    Last edited by gotstafish; 12-24-18, 09:06 AM.
    Modules:Roland TD-50 VEX'ed, Mac Pro running SD3,SD2 & Ez Drummer2
    Triggers:PD140DS Mapex Meridian Maple/Yamaha Custom Birch Conversion
    Cymbals: VH-13mg, CY-5, CY-8, CY-12R, 2 CY-13R, CY-14 and CY18DR

no, i never had this.. but all electronics that ever 'got stuck' 'hung' or froze (with me) was always due to circuitry overheating/ cooling problems,
    computers, and also a 19" rack sampler (passive cooling) i know a TD50 is passive cooling too, maybe there is some internal chip(s) getting too
    hot ? during performing .. a fan blowing against the bottom side of module could help.. or maybe this is not the problem .. it's just a guess..
    (the fact it's working again after power down/ up made me think of temperature problem)
    | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

This happened with my TD-17 module. It also shut itself off and would take approximately 3 - 6 times to "stay" on. Took video of it occurring as my proof and Roland couldn't replicate the issue. Last I heard they were going to replace the main board however I had just purchased the drum kit and the store I bought it from ended up giving me a new one and were going to use the returned one in their rental pool.

Comment

As I mentioned on FB, this is *usually* a sign of overheating. Do you think heat was a possibility?
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I've had the same thing happen on my TD-25K. I was just jamming with friends, but we'd take a break for 45 minutes or so, and when I came back, there was no sound, even though everything was on. It wouldn't shut off either. I had to pull the plug

When I plugged it back in, everything worked fine

This has happened maybe 5 or 6 times. Maybe like Alan said, possibly an overheating problem, but nothing was hot to the touch

Comment

So why would these modules overheat? On there stands they have air all around and even stage lights shouldnít be too much. Were you somewhere incredibly hot?
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It was not hot at all and I don't think this was a possibility since I have a fan blowing on me from under the module so it gets hit as well. Thought it was strange that it wouldn't turn off with the switch which seems like a mechanical switch but obviously isn't. I just hope this doesn't become an issue. It has been hooked up and hasn't moved from its perch for almost two years with no issues until now. I had a few others on FB say it may be due to a power spike. I think I'll look into a faster surge suppressor and hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by gotstafish View Post
                Thanks for the replies. It was not hot at all and I don't think this was a possibility since I have a fan blowing on me from under the module so it gets hit as well. Thought it was strange that it wouldn't turn off with the switch which seems like a mechanical switch but obviously isn't. I just hope this doesn't become an issue. It has been hooked up and hasn't moved from its perch for almost two years with no issues until now. I had a few others on FB say it may be due to a power spike. I think I'll look into a faster surge suppressor and hope for the best.
                Maybe you need a power conditioner that helps stabilize the power source. If the place you play has older wiring this could very well be the issue. Note even some places that do not have old wiring can have this!

Comment

Originally posted by gotstafish View Post
                  I'm just adding this here for others reading in the future...

Just to clarify, a heat issue can be internal only, and not noticeable on the surface. Sitting for a long time under lights or in sunlight has been proven to create these symptoms in older modules. It makes me wonder if Roland tests these modules in similar situations.

I've had a few customers and friends over the years prove this to me during performances in both realms. (sunlight/stage light) A friend at Disney had to finally box his up from the sunlight for outdoor performances. It was shutting down almost every performance. (that was a 20 or 30... don't remember which)

Just added info for others.
                  Alan
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Might be worth trying a different power adapter if you have access to one.

Comment

I also have had exactly the same problems with td 30. Seems like itís a common issue for all of them.
                      Last edited by petr_drummer; 01-05-19, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by petr_drummer View Post
                        I also have had exactly the same problems with td 30. Seems like itís a common issue for all of them.
                        where was your td-30? did you you unplug the power cable and plugs again, and it works right away?
                        Last edited by Chris K; 01-05-19, 11:27 AM.

Comment

It worked for my TD 50

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

where was your td-30? did you you unplug the power cable and plugs again, and it works right away?
                            Yes, each time I had to unplug (the power button was freeze like) it and module would work. About placing. No sun, no heating had been perform that could cause this issue.
                            Last edited by petr_drummer; 01-07-19, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by petr_drummer View Post

Yes, each time I had to unplug (the power button was freeze like) it and module would work. About placing. No sun, no heating had been perform that could cause this issue.
                              how much time this happens to you, often or ?
                              Last edited by Chris K; 01-07-19, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X