Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Cymbal triggering- Magnatrack, Stealth, Jobeky, L80/low-volume & misc 2-play mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymbal triggering- Magnatrack, Stealth, Jobeky, L80/low-volume & misc 2-play mesh

Hey guys! I'm recently getting back into v-drumming.... I hadn't touched my kit in years but got back into it over the last week. And I've had a lot of fun, again!

Questions--

What do you guys think of Magnatrack IZT triggers (the screw-on type for the L80 cymbals) or the magnetic ones (for cymbal triggering). Not interested in how they work with heads, just for cymbals. I can't seem to find any info on their stuff, ANYWHERE. Not usually a good sign. I picked up a 3-pack of the IZT triggers after contacting them. They're coming Wednesday.

What do you guys think of the Stealth triggers on the Zildjian L80s? Good results, usually? I know Jman has quite the good reputation around here.

What do you guys think is a good, affordable 2-ply mesh head (alternative to the Rolands)? The Rolands are still ridiculously expensive (as all Roland stuff is) and I'm just curious as to what might be the best alternative for the price? Currently I'm using a PD-120 for my snare (with the stock mesh head), a PD-85 for the hi-tom, and the rest of the kit is a Sonor Safari with Pearl mesh heads, and ddrum redshot triggers (surprisingly have done well for years, but I want 2-play now).

What are your thoughts on the Jobeky cymbal line? I LOVE the look of the Dark Bronze cymbals. To get a full pack (two 14" dual-zones, a 14" dual-zone for hi-hat, with a Roland VH-11 controller, and an 18" 3-zone ride), it would cost me about $815... hefty, but... my goodness. The LOOK!! I love 'em.

Thank you for ANY and all advice/help/thoughts... please be as specific and as informative as possible... show me videos, etc. Thank you so much!!

-Chris
    Last edited by bcmusic; 12-01-18, 09:23 PM.
    Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.0 / Reaper 5+6
    DIY hybrid kit (Sonor kit / Roland / Yamaha, DDT MS-140c snare, etc)
    Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin
    youtube.com/chriscauldermusic

56 views and no thoughts? It's a bunch of products... was hoping at least a few of you could chime in... thanks guys!
    Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

I havenít used any of the products you mention. Maybe no one has been online yet who has
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I have just done l80s with stealth triggers into a mimic and I am very happy with them. It took minutes to install and set up was easy. I must admit I couldn't get the 3z ride working perfectly with my old Roland td11 module but I didn't try very hard knowing the mimic was coming.

Comment

Thank you! The Stealth triggers don't necessarily keep the "crash" sound on the L80s do they? They're basically completely muted from what I can tell (even without the edge triggers). I almost kind of like hearing the actual "crash" sound.... wondering if any trigger types (other than Magnatrack) allow this to still be heard with the L80s.

Any thoughts on the Jobekys? 2-ply mesh head preferences? Any Magnatrack users out there (at all)? haha. Thanks guys!
          Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

I think sticking anything to a cymbal is going to affect the sound so yes the l80s ambient noise is reduced to pretty much just a tap. They are "sharper" than rubber e-cymbals "thud" but about the same volume.

If you still want an acoustic sound why not just put stealth triggers on normal cymbals? If you don't put a vinyl damper on them I expect you will still get healthy noise . Come to think of it if you want acoustic noise why put triggers on at all? Why not just Mic your cymbals? Personally I think it would be weird hearing the acoustic and triggered sound at the same time, especially if they sound different, kind of like 2 cymbals being hit together.

Comment

After some bad experiences with pvc dampening on low-volume cymbals I just apply u-shaped rubber along the entire edge. Already dampens enough for reliable triggering and has a better playing feel.Overly dampened cymbals feel like hitting a brick.
              gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash
              band: http://theboardmusic.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies with everything so far, guys.

Magnatrack told me they'd be shipping my order for 3 IZT's (screw-on triggers for the low-volume cymbal types) on Monday. It's now Friday and they've been avoiding a few of my emails, asking for the tracking #.

It's no wonder people swear by Jman's Stealth stuff. Seems like he actually delivers on his promises.

Waiting it out... would love to at least TRY these Magnatracks to see if I have any luck...

Any additional thoughts on anything? Thanks guys!
                Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

Just a quick update-- Magnatrack STILL has not shipped my triggers and have ignored most of my follow-up emails. They provided a tracking # via USPS but did not actually drop anything off to the USPS. I'm getting insanely frustrated as it's been over two weeks since I ordered them, and they said only a couple days to be delivered. Ridiculous.

In the meantime, I ordered Jman's Stealth set... 3-zone/1 cable ride (velocity switching) for 18" L80 (Roland module), and a 13" dual-zone hi-hat trigger.

Installed the ride, and so far, so good. The only thing I can't figure out is why I only get a small edge area to trigger... it seems like it's ONLY in like a 1" to 2" max area, for edge. I thought it would be wider, like a CY-8 (which I'm replacing, with this Jman set).

I'm using a TD-6V with Superior Drummer 2 and I'm loving it... but again, just trying to figure out why the edge area is so small. Can anyone chime in?

And on a personal note-- Magnatrack: you really need to get your customer service and shipping together. Ridiculous. If these things don't arrive by next weekend, I'm demanding a refund. Ridiculous. Just a heads-up to anyone who is considering ordering their triggers. You may never see them.

Thanks to Jman/Jerry and anyone else who can provide some input, re: edge. Thx!
                  Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

I have a set of the Jobeky dark bronze. 14hh, 16 crash and 20 ride. I find the triggering is great, even the bell on the ride triggers nicely. They weren't cheap but I am happy with them.

The main problem (if it is a problem for you) is noise. The damping on the bell is not very effective, and the fact you are hitting metal certainly makes them louder than a roland pad. I did some experimenting and some vic firth felt tipped sticks with some cymbal mutes get you close to roland volume (at the expense of some feel). They also feel a little heavy to hit compared to acoustic but that's to be expected.

The final thing is delivery time. To be fair to Jobeky I ordered mine when they had just become available but they appeared to have problems getting the bare cymbals made and shipped. It took about 3 months for mine to be delivered but this may be a lot better now.

Would definitely recommend overall. I have had mine since July 2017, they have held up well and I haven't seen anything released I would prefer yet.

Comment

Thanks for your responses againn, guys. Good stuff with Jobeky!

Magnatrack STILL hasn't shipped my stuff and has ignored EVERY one of my emails except a couple.

I'm out $85.

Everyone should know... their business SUCKS. If they remedy this, I'll edit my messages, but... NOT happy right now.

Though, Jman's Stealth stuff... dope.
                      Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

I have been equally frustrated with MagnaTrack. I did receive a much-delayed response yesterday with an apology an explanation that the head of the company has been in the hospital and may be facing amputation of his hand. I am not related in any way to these folks, but the explanation made me feel like a heel. They appear to be a small business, and hopefully they will be able to get back on track soon. I am still having issues with the triggers, but Iíll defer all other judgements until I hear further from them or if they continue to be non-responsive.

Comment

Ugh. That either sounds true, or a made-up story because the products don't exist. I sent them countless frustrated "send my stuff!" emails... all ignored. If it's true, then I feel like a heel as well. But something tells me it ISN'T true.
                          Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

Received my Magnatrack triggers, finally (Saturday).

They gave me an extra IZT trigger, and one of the main magnetic ones for the mesh heads. So far, everything is working great. I sent them a nice email apologizing for my impatience and frustration with them.

I'm likely going to do a YouTube video review/demonstration of them, mounted to my Zildjian L80s. For single-zone, there could not be a cheaper option for screw-on mounting... it's about $33/trigger though they gave me a discount and free shipping (plus I got the extra one since they took so long to ship). Pretty cost-effective. Most crash cymbal triggering at least for me, only needs to be single-zone. A crash is a crash. Quietly hit or loudly. Dual-zone is great for bow/edge samples but in general I don't go that nuts with my crash cymbal triggering needs.

So, good news re: Magnatrack. They need to ship their stuff in a timely manner, and they need more reviews/exposure. The products aren't bad, at all. At least from my estimation so far.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
                            Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin

Comment

do you have a preference between the magnatrack and the stealth trigger options?
                              Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Working...
                              X