simmons da200 vs kat ka 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simmons da200 vs kat ka 2

is there anyone here that has heard both in person? how would you compare them? I 've never been completely satisfied with the simmons low end. seems like the sub is ok , but not a lot of thump because the other speakers just aren't big enough. the 12inch is a sub only. I wonder where the crossover points are.? maybe the kat with a 12 and no sub has a punchier sound.?

You might want to take a look at past issues of Digital Drummer, which is available online. Specifically, the May 2013 and February 2014 issues review these two amps. I seem to recall that the reviewer favored the DA200, although both amps are quite similar.
    Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Just curious but why the limit of just those two items? For a similar cost you can probably find a JBL EON15 used, or you can spend about 100 more than a da200s and get a jbl 615 instead. I personally really like the qsc K10/ksub combo, but that's a whole separate price range. Try listening to the JBL EON 615 and the Mackie Thump 15a. It really depends on how compact you want it to be, how important bass is, and how loud you will use it.
      Mimic+DDTI, ATV aDrums (3 up, 2 down, 3x16" Crash, 1x18" Ride, 1x10" Splash, 1x12" Splash, 1x17" China, 1x14" Hat), Dual CowPaddy, 2xBT1, SPD-SX, Trick Pro1V2 Pedals/Hihat

Comment

I use the Simmons DA200 and have had no problems . For the money itís a great sounding little amp. I use it as it was intended for, a monitor. I am not sure about the Kat amp but the Simmons DA200 has a down firing sub that helps tremendously with bottom . I have used it for small clubs as a monitor , I usually run it a little below half volume . I donít run volumes really loud anymore due to years of high stage volume ( pre inear monitors) and hearing damage . I just wanted a tight drum sound on stage and for me this amp does that .

Comment

Originally posted by Thecklos View Post
          Just curious but why the limit of just those two items? For a similar cost you can probably find a JBL EON15 used, or you can spend about 100 more than a da200s and get a jbl 615 instead. I personally really like the qsc K10/ksub combo, but that's a whole separate price range. Try listening to the JBL EON 615 and the Mackie Thump 15a. It really depends on how compact you want it to be, how important bass is, and how loud you will use it.
          I have a 200s and the bottom end pops if I push it hard enough to use it onstage. it's ok barely as a home monitor. the bottom end can be ok with certain patches but it's not versatile enough. some bass drum sounds it can't handle. I use a behringer sub and a turbosound ip300 on top for a three way pa to project to the audience and cover the band although it's hard to me to hear it, I use the simmons in front aimed at me. I need volume for some situations and obviously want to hear my kick. I the jbl I haven't tried maybe I will thanks...

Comment

I was going to ask the same question as the original poster but with a roland pm-30 thrown in the mix as well. I am curious about the jbl and the mackie but I haven't seen any of those (especially used) around here.

Comment

I also meant to have the simmons da 350 in there for comparison. Been more interested in the Kat since I saw the write up on the ka400. But just because one is good doesn't necessarily apply to the other. No one here has the ka2?

Comment

Originally posted by promark747 View Post

I have a 200s and the bottom end pops if I push it hard enough to use it onstage. it's ok barely as a home monitor. the bottom end can be ok with certain patches but it's not versatile enough. some bass drum sounds it can't handle. I use a behringer sub and a turbosound ip300 on top for a three way pa to project to the audience and cover the band although it's hard to me to hear it, I use the simmons in front aimed at me. I need volume for some situations and obviously want to hear my kick. I the jbl I haven't tried maybe I will thanks...
                Kind of funny, I use have a Simmons da200s and the qsc stuff. At home i either use in ears or the da200s just to keep the volume down. I don't like using monitors otherwise (in ears > having a monitor pointed at me.) Just need your own separate mixer so you can mix a feed back from FoH and your own private kit sound together for yourself. I use a little bitty mackie for that.
                Mimic+DDTI, ATV aDrums (3 up, 2 down, 3x16" Crash, 1x18" Ride, 1x10" Splash, 1x12" Splash, 1x17" China, 1x14" Hat), Dual CowPaddy, 2xBT1, SPD-SX, Trick Pro1V2 Pedals/Hihat

Comment

Working...
                X