Microdrum vs megadrum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microdrum vs megadrum

Hello, i want to build my own A to E conversion so i was looking for some modules that would suit my needs.

I found firstly the megadrum (i think 32 inputs will be enough) and the microdrum.

Anyone knows the differences? Which one is better?

Also i have seen that microdrum isn't very updated unlike the megadrum...

Hi!

Nice...I never actually heard about the microdrum project...even if been spending 4 years with the MegaDrum.

I took a look over the specs and the design of the Microdrum...and I first got worried...because the CPU was stated Ardunio....so I thought it was the ordinary 8 bits cpu which most of the Ardunio designs are using, (The MegaDrum with its STM 32 bit ARM CPU on 120MHz which would have been a better choice based on the specs)...but the Microdrum was using a Ardunio Due CPU...which also is a 32 bit ARM CPU running at 80Mhz. Looks like a good design. The firmware code is written in the Ardunio IDE...which makes it quite open...if the source code is included. (Did not check this)

The MegaDrum has support for all kind of pads, have support for positional sensing, 3 zone pads, has super fast trigger to midi conversion (around 1 ms)...but you need to add about 4 ms for the rest of the audio chain like the computer, VST and the sound card. The MegaDrum Manager which is used to configure the MD have evolved for many years and works great for both Mac & PC. Then there are many opportunities when dialing in the pads and environment and this makes the MD a bit hard to tweak...and require some knowledge. But it looks like people are getting over this threshold quite fast now days...compared to when I started with the MD 2010...

The MD is now sold as a complete module...no need to be good on soldering....the Microdrum seems to be more DIY....

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR, RT-10x,2xBT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Quartz, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 5&3, dd4SE, TD-9, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

On the DIY side i'm good, so there are no problem when it comes to soldering. I'll stick with the megadrum, the community i saw it's big and everyone helps, so i'd better go with the MD!

Thanks

Comment

Also microdrum is kind of a dead project, last post is 2 years old and on forum (which it seems I can't even access anymore) has my (half unanswered) questions from February.
        Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

Comment

First time I've ever heard of Microdrum lol. Yep, you made the right choice with Megadrum. You'll have your work cut out learning everything anyway, so be very glad not to have soldering as an additional chore on top of that!

All the best metallo97, I'll look out for you on the Megadrum forums.
          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
          Community Drum Module Document
          PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
            First time I've ever heard of Microdrum lol. Yep, you made the right choice with Megadrum. You'll have your work cut out learning everything anyway, so be very glad not to have soldering as an additional chore on top of that!

All the best metallo97, I'll look out for you on the Megadrum forums.
            I saw it before but look like downgraded of megadrum

Comment

Working...
            X