Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Balanced/unbalanced cables

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • funkyjojo
    Registered Member
    • 09-2001

Balanced/unbalanced cables

Hi
    What cables should I use from my V-drums to BBE.
    I know BBE uses balanced cables but does the drum module use it too??
    This is the scenario: 2 1/4 jacks from v-drums to BBE; 2 XLR from BBE to JBL's; 2 1/4 jacks from BBE to PA.
    Which ones should be balanced??
    Can I use two unbalanced from v-drum and two balanced to BBE??
    Thanks
  • CAH2112
    Registered Member
    • 04-2001

I'll take a stab at this. I don't have a lot of experience but I did this exact research a few months ago. A 1/4" plug is always an unbalanced where a xlr is usually balanced. For short runs (less than 25-30 feet) unbalanced isn't a problem. It's when you get those long runs through snakes and stuff that you have to be concerned about unbalanced. The thing I've been wanting to know is how to convert 8 1/4" in to 8 xlr cheaply. I could buy 8 direct boxes and that would look qute and cost a bundle. Hope that helps and as always, we thank you for your support.
    [email protected]

Comment

• Boingo
      Registered Member
      • 12-2000

Originally posted by funkyjojo:
      Hi
      What cables should I use from my V-drums to BBE.
      I know BBE uses balanced cables but does the drum module use it too??
      This is the scenario: 2 1/4 jacks from v-drums to BBE; 2 XLR from BBE to JBL's; 2 1/4 jacks from BBE to PA.
      Which ones should be balanced??
      Can I use two unbalanced from v-drum and two balanced to BBE??
      Thanks
      I'm getting some confusion from your post.

1) The Roland units use UNbalanced signals. They are 1/4" and have a tip and a sleeve (standard mono cable).
      2) The BBE most of us use is model 482. It uses 1/4" UNbalanced signals.
      3) The BBE model 882 uses Balanced signals. It takes XLR or 1/4" Balanced which has a tip, ring and sleeve (TRS) and looks like a stereo headphone connector.
      4) An XLR cable is preferred by many because it locks in and is robust. see this site for a brief explanation on balanced cables. http://www.bath.ac.uk/~su2bc/infogui...info/bal.shtml
      5) Short cable runs (up to 15 - 20') can use 1/4" UNbal. Longer runs should use a Balanced signal (XLR or 1/4" TRS).
      6) There are ways to convert an UNbal signal to a Bal signal. A direct box (DB) is common for this purpose. A simple version of a DB takes the 1/4" UNbal signal in and provides a 1/4" UNbal out AND an XLR Bal out. A pic's worth 1000 words... http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8.jpg.orig.jpg

Which model BBE do you have?
      Which signal will the JBL accept for inputs?
      Which signal does the JBL send as output (it may not have an output).
      Most PA's require Balanced signals and use XLR's. What is your requirement?

Here's a typical scenario assuming you are using just the BBE 482, the JBL accepts 1/4" UNbal and the PA needs Balanced XLR cables:

Run 1/4" UNbal from the TD-? to a direct box. Send the DB 1/4" UNbal out to the BBE inputs. Send the BBE UNbal outs to the JBL inputs. Send the DB XLR Bal out to the PA. If you use both R & L master outs, you need 2 DB's or one which handles 2 sets of signals.

CAH: how to do it cheaply? I'd like to hear that too. There are 1/4" balanced but it has to be the TRS variety. Maybe this will help. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1.jpg.orig.jpg

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited January 13, 2002).]
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

• ufotofu
        Registered Member
        • 03-2001

Did I miss something? What have you done with Kildrum??
        Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

• Louis
          Registered Member
          • 09-2000

You could get two of these: (4 channel rackmounted direct boxes)
          Get free shipping on instruments and musical equipment, easy zero-interest payment plans, and top-rated service at zZounds! Join 1 million+ happy customers.

(edited)
          err..i mean..if you wanted to take all 8 outputs from the TD-10 into a mixer/p.a. and convert them..

sorry..it's late and im wiped out..nevermind!

[This message has been edited by Louis (edited January 17, 2002).]

Comment

Working...