Kick Pedal question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick Pedal question

I played years ago with a entry Level Yamaha Kick Pedal, started playing again 7 months ago with the stock Kick Pedal on a cheap drumset. The Kind of Pedal you get for 20 Bucks, not very stable. Did the Job for me.

Now I aquired a KD11 and sold the old kit with the pedal: I Need a new one.

I am a beginner-level, just for fun Player without any ambitions of greatness, no gigs: will it still benefit my playing greatly if I buy a 150 $ Kick Pedal or will I be ok with a 50 $ No Name pedal (that Looks stable and has 2 chains)?

Stupid question, I know, but I like to have the Input of experienced Players on this Topic.

Really hard to say. I used a premier pedal for years which cost me £50 over more expensive pedals I had. I wouldn’t go for a no name pedal as you really don’t know what your getting and I’ve seen many on other peoples kit break. Why not try and get a 2nd hand one? I see plenty on eBay really cheap.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Rule #1: Play it till it breaks. Draw conclusion. Upgrade. Repeat.

Rule #2: As a beginner, you don't know what you want. Over time, you will figure out what may work better with your style of playing and chosen music. As you learn, and if you see a need for change, spend some time at the local music shop trying different types of pedals. Try straps, chains, and direct drive. Try traditional length and longboards. Try light and heavy. Try different types of beaters.

Rule #3: See Rule #1.
      Alan
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I tried.
        Surprise : even with a Pro Pedal i am still a beginner.
        Might as Well stay with my current gear.

Comment

Ha ha, I love this comment, how true. Self awareness like this is a rare treasure and a helpful reminder to me! I keep upgrading to get better, problem is the weak link in the chain that really needs upgrade is my skills. I guess that the one good thing about upgrades is that they can be an incentive to practice either as a target (I'll treat myself to X if I practice for an hour every day for a month) or as an inspiration (my vex pack really lifted my enjoyment of playing and made it easier to keep going).

Comment

Pedals don't make you play faster or better no matter how much you spend on them. Best thing to do is go to a music store and try out as many pedals as you can cheap or expensive,longboard,or shortboard,single chain,double chain,belt or direct drive ,it doesn't matter and then chose the pedal you like best. I have had all of these ,my 1st pedal was the pedal that came with my kit,my 1st double pedal was a dual chain drive pearl pedal,i also had the dualist belt drive pedal ,the axis longboards and now i have a pearl demonator single chain longboard pedal and its my favorite of all of them.
            ATV AD5 module,vh11, cy15r, cy13c/r,pearl P-932 demonator pedals,pearl export drum shells with roland mesh heads,pearl dr80 rack, rt30 triggers on toms and bass drum and rt10 on snare

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
              Surprise : even with a Pro Pedal i am still a beginner.
              you know.. when you're a beginner you don't even need pedals.. yet.. i practiced on a board of 30x50 cm.. on top of a pillow.. every day,
              with a metronome.. 8's 16ths, triplets, sextuplets, combinations.. you can do heel up.. and heel down.. when you've got your time down
              on that.. then try a pedal.. ..when you can't play 'tempo' without a pedal .. it won't suddenly turn 'great' when you add a pedal ... see ?

Comment

Interesting, I often get stuck in at the opposite end (because I over think everything).

I pay attention to things like pedal latency - an idea of how long it takes to accelerate the beater, which is counteracted by adjusting your muscle lead time. Basically I'm currently on an adventure to find lighter beaters because I'm often playing very dynamically and the first thing to fail is my foot work at higher tempos, as my doubles are just too slow. I have to drag my playing to match up occasionally. Damn e-drums for letting you hear your articulate bad timing lol.

So I think it is worth spending a little time thinking about how you are being technically limited by your equipment.

Speed can be solved by raising spring tension of course, but with the negative effect that the pedal latency increases again. Finding the right balance is what I think about all the time.

Practising without a pedal is better than nothing, but when you get behind the the real kit and find you can't play what you just stamped out perfectly beforehand is incredibly frustrating.

I think it's a good idea to do all pedal adjustments with your hands tbh because you can be so much more sensitive. i.e. Spring tension, beater angle, pedal height, etc. I also want to use my cobra coils, and that affects how linear the spring back is and where it starts to occur. I've had pedals at both ends of the spectrum so I can't say I prefer the cheaper pedals without all these adjustments when something does need adjusting, but that's where I think most of the money goes... what you can adjust, followed by the smoothness of the movement and how high the manufacturing tolerances are.
                ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                Community Drum Module Document
                PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

DW’s line of PDP pedals are an excellent value. If you can afford it, go with 500 series as it has double chain. Better stability and smoother feel. I think street price is around $89.00. http://www.pacificdrums.com/hardware-and-pedals
                  Last edited by Chance27; 11-01-18, 11:51 PM.
                  ATV aDrums, aD5, Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

I don`t subscribe to the "Beginner Needs no drumset" and "only practise Rudiments first" Theory. I think you should
                    use your Toms and Play to music early.
                    It is suppposed to be fun. Then you will realize that without a double stroke roll for example you will be limited.

And I agree that Gear can Limit your skills: Ugrading from a cheap Millenium Kit to a upgraded TD11 Version increased my playing rapidly. a 8 Inch Floor Tom is harder to Play than a 12 Inch Tom, not to Mention the Dynamic Range of the 2 drum modules.

But the current Pedal does not seem to Limit me: I tried a Iron Cobra 900, and altough I feel a difference, it is not worth investing in it, for me.
                    Also I played around with some Settings on my current Pedal to better suit my needs.

Comment

@kabonfaiba.. i agree with you about pedals, that they sometimes 'limit' things you were working on.. or can help you with other things
                      (slide with fast doubles, f.ex.) but the most important thing is (to me) your muscles first have to be capable of the movements and patterns,
                      so, i practiced with and without pedals .. i'm not saying you shouldn't play drums until, that would not be smart .. but i like to work on things
                      separately aswell .. and for a 'beginner' it would certainly help..
                      Last edited by Ericdrumz; 11-02-18, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I agree that as a beginner it'd be silly to spend a large amount on a pedal without knowing whether it will suit you down the line or not, but I think you should at least get one that allows for adjustments beyond just spring tension. It's also good to be able to adjust beater angle and footboard height independently, which many cheap (and some not so cheap) pedals don't allow, as it allows you to explore different kinds of setups over time that might work better for you. I own the double version of this pedal and I think it's fantastic value for money, very solid and with lots of adjustments. It's of much higher quality than other pedals I've tried that cost far more.
                        MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

Just an update: A guy in my City is selling a PDP Concept Dual Chain Pedal nearly new and for half the Retail Price, I will get that and Keep you up to date if I did become a better drummer using it. *g*

It has a longer footboard, which I like, also the smooth Surface fits my style more than the DW Style surfaces, and at least it is made by a known brand (altough still entry Level, I know)

Comment

The smooth Surface and longer board make a difference for me, was a good buy. Works better for me than the (twice as expensive) Iron Cobra 900 and I can Play faster and with less effort than with my previous pedal.

Really very individual what works for whom.

Comment

The PDP Concept appears to use DW Air Weight beaters, which are lighter compared to the stock TAMA beaters, not to be underrated for speed.
                              ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                              Community Drum Module Document
                              PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Working...
                              X