Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Sound module upgrade on TD-1KPX2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound module upgrade on TD-1KPX2

Hello
    I bought a portable 1KPX2 kit recently (portability requirements), as well as a TD17 module to replace the stock TD1.
    I may be missing something, but I can't find a way to attach the TD17 on the frame that comes with the 1KPX2. The TD17 ships with a plastic piece that doesn't seem to fit into the attachment that was used by the TD1.
    Any idea how to secure the module on this frame ?

Thank you

What is the diameter of the piece of the sound module mount of the TD-17 that fits into the mounting bracket? Will it fit into the mounting bracket of the Sound Module Mount of the TD-1KP?
    If it is smaller, could you pack it with something to make it fit?
    It may be too close to the frame..
    Could you go to a DIY Store and pick up a piece of Aluminum tube the same outer diameter as the TD-1KP Sound Module Mount bar, and with a big enough internal diameter to accept the sound module mount of the TD-17? If the pipe is a little too big, you could cut slots down into the pipe and then use a circular hose clip to squeeze the pipe down on to the sound module mount of the TD-17.
    HTH

Comment

I have a TD-4kp which I believe uses the same frame as the TD-1KP. I am also wanting to upgrade the module. I've even considered making my own custom harness to expand the options available for modules. I believe both sets use the same frame and it is a non standard 1" tubing. I am still researching the matter.

Comment

I have the TD-4KP which uses the same frame. I am also considering making a custom harness so I can use a TD-17 module. The TD-4KP and the TD-1KP use 1" tubing instead of the 1.5" standard. My plan for mounting is to just get a piece of 1.5" round stock and turn one end down in a lathe so it will fit the frame on the TD-4. Essentially this makes an adapter. The hard part was tracking down the mounts to use PDX pads for the toms.

Comment

I got around the issue by removing the metal bar of the TD1, keeping the remaining rack bracket but packing it with some thick cardboard. Then I inserted the TD17 bracket in there and tightened. Been using that for the last month, and it hasnít moved so far. When folding the rack, I leave the bracket on the rack, just removing the module, and it works well.
          Very DIY, but does the job so far.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this...I just ordered a TD-1KPX on clearance for use as a secondary "travel" kit. I would like to upgrade the module from the TD-1. For not too much money I could pick up a used TD-4, which is somewhat appealing because I know it would mount easily, and also it is very small and portable and matches the overall design philosophy of a compact travel kit very well. However, I used to have a TD-17, and I realize that it's a much more advanced module, especially with the ability to add custom sounds (e.g., from VEX, drum-tec, and others). It's fairly light, as well (although nearly twice as heavy as the ultralight TD-4), but I didn't consider that mounting would be difficult. Is there any reason why a standard hinged V-to-V clamp wouldn't work? That's how I mount my other modules and stuff to cymbal stands on my AE kit. The V clamps accommodate multiple diameters, so I don't see why the 1" tubing diameter would be a problem?
            Last edited by MJB; 12-31-19, 02:50 PM.

Comment

doesn't give you the ability to adjust the angle but could just use a regular clamp. not ideal but it'd be the smallest space option i can think of.

https://www.amazon.ca/Gibraltar-BGC-...62066204&psc=1

i just have my td-6v sitting mounted on a cymbal stand base
              Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Yeah, that’s basically what I’m talking about - I have an extra one of these sitting around: http://www.dwdrums.com/factoryaccess...ITNAME=dwsm773

Wouldn’t allow any adjustability in terms of tilting, but should allow basically any module to be mounted anywhere. There are more or less “universal” module mounts that tilt, but I don’t remember if the TD-17 has the screw mounting holes required, since it comes with that snap-in mount.

Comment

MJB how did you go? I had the same plan. How I wish they made a portable kit option with a better sound module like the TD-17!

Comment

Originally posted by Professy View Post
                    MJB how did you go? I had the same plan. How I wish they made a portable kit option with a better sound module like the TD-17!
                    Actually, I picked up a TD-17 secondhand and was able to mount it to the TD-1KPX with the DW hinged V to V clamp I mentioned above. It worked fine, but it sort of took away from one of the main selling points of the kit, which is extreme portability. I mean, not that the TD-17 is a huge module, but I would have had to remove it to fold up the kit, and then transport the kit and module separately. Since the TD-1KPX is not my "main" kit and I just bought it to travel with, I sold the Td-17 and am thinking about buying a used TD-4. If this were my primary kit, I definitely would've kept the TD-17 over the TD-4, but like I said, this is primarily for travel and it will spend most of its life packed away (or maybe my kids will play it or something).

Comment

I've just picked up a TD-1KPX2 kit with a view to upgrade the module down the track. I bought it primarily to play at home in my tiny apartment because I was tired of having to go hire a rehearsal space whenever I wanted to practice drums. I really don't like the module though, and since I'm planning to mostly leave it set up and be able to pack it down to save space, I think it'll be fine to remove the td-17 each time. I played with the td-17 in the store and can't believe how much better it is. If I start playing the v-drums often outside of my flat I might visit the idea of getting a different frame, but for me, the compactness was the primary selling point.

Did you need anything other than the hinged clamp to make it work? The other option I guess is an extra stand, or even sitting it on a stool or something, but that would take up more room and negate the point of having such a little kit.

Comment

Working...
                      X