Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

New TD 8 user needing some basic help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TD 8 user needing some basic help

Hi , I just purchased a Roland studio set, TD8 with 3 PD9s, 4 PD7s, & 3 CY6s for cymbals. I do not know much about programming. The cymbals seem to be too quite
    Even with the faders up. Can any one help me with a starting point on how & what values to set all the pads & cymbals to be about the same. I am referring to the sensitivity, threshold, decay & velocity curve. Right now I am only working on kit 64 to try to learn the system before trying to modify any of the other kits. The default settings do not seem to be balanced from hh, toms, snare & cymbals. Any help would be appreciated, as I am a new to the system. And can these settings be set globally or do you have to do it on each kit. Scratch the last question, I should only try one thing at a time! Thanks in advance for your feedback. Freemont.

Read the bloody manual first.
    "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

Thanks for the help. I did read the manual. But I should clarify, I am not a drummer or a tech head, the drum set was a Christmas gift for my son. He had been playing an acoustic set for a couple of years. He is fairly young so expecting him to understand the manual and all the tech info is kind of hard. So I thought I would call on the expertise of all the experienced V-drummers in the forum. I want to be as knowledgeable as possible to make it easier for me to relate to my son in a way we can both understand all the abilities of the set. Again thanks for the help. Freemont.

Comment

Lessee, for starters, adjust the "mixer" settings first (middle button under the lcd). I have most of my drums set at around 100, and cymbals at or near the max of 127. (Hihat and ride are lower, about 110-115). Don't forget the rim settings as well! You can tweak levels from here with the sliders.

As for parameters, I tend to use a "linear" response on all pads. Threshold is about 2-4, sensitivity adjusted for each pad so that a hard hit just maxes out the signal. Crosstalk should be adjusted for each pad by beating on one pad at a time (while in the pad settings mode) and seeing if any other pad triggers from vibrations. If so, increase the crosstalk parameter of the triggered pad by 10 or so (the offending pad will be active on the display), repeat until there are no false triggers and then hit another pad hard and repeat around the kit. Sometimes raising the threshold a tiny bit helps too. (Especially for separating rim and center triggers on a single pad).

Do a search here for "scan time" etc. to find good tips on tweaking those parameters.

Comment

Thanks drmose,
          Thats the kind of info I was looking for, the ins & outs of tips & tricks.
          Freemont
          OH sorry it should have been drmoze

[This message has been edited by Freemont (edited January 07, 2002).]

Comment

Stoovey,
            What's your point about the manual?Maybe
            some of us HAVE read the manual and still
            need help.
            Get a grip.
            Steve
            89gett

Comment

The mere purpose if this forum is to provide an opportunity for newbies to ask questions about their gear, and for experienced users to exchange experiences. Greeting a newbie on their first post with RTFM is inappropriate and extremely rude, Stoovey, and it's not funny.

Stu
              "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Thanks mcconaghy. Thats the response I wanted to make, but I guess I felt I didn't have enough seniorty on this site or maybe I just lacked the Balls.
                Freemont

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                  The mere purpose if this forum is to provide an opportunity for newbies to ask questions about their gear, and for experienced users to exchange experiences. Greeting a newbie on their first post with RTFM is inappropriate and extremely rude, Stoovey, and it's not funny.
                  Well, it sure seems perfectly acceptable for the forum elders to give such a response. So I was merely taking their lead. **** you if you don't like it.
                  "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

May I recommend acquiring some manners, Stoovey?

Stu

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong Stu, but you have 500+ posts under your belt. You would be considered a 'forum elder' would you not? How many times have you greeted a newbie with RTFM?
                      Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

I've never greeted anyone with RTFM on any forum, I just think it's rude.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                          I've never greeted anyone with RTFM on any forum, I just think it's rude.
                          totally agree. then again, maybe greeting them with the exact phrase "RTFM" is a good idea. by virtue of being a newbie, they'll have no idea what it means and in their quest for a translation may discover the search tool! now all of their questions can be answered! a cyptic variation on the "the teach the man to fish" approach.

then again, you could just spend 5 seconds writing a response and actually help someone.

props to drmoze for looking out, and props to freemont for sticking with the question. don't take it personally, freemont, there are many people who post reasonably silly questions on this site (yourself not included) and it seems to have a thinning effect on certain members' patience.

Comment

Not everyone has a manual or may not have access to it when they need a quick fix. You guys need to be more sympathetic. During those times you should respond with BTFM. (for those touchy folks with no sense of humor, just kidding!)

When I sense someone is too lazy to read the manual, a good response is to tell them the page number where the answer can be found.

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

In the "Goodbye Mr Kildrum" topic there was a lighthearted

"Welcome aboard. RTFM. Use the search. Have a nice day. "

I laughed . Point being that i've seen people be told RTFM before . OK he might not have done it with a ribbon on top but hey come on people lighten up on poor ol' Stoovey

2c's worth Bob

Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

Comment

Working...
                              X