Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

ok i apologize, ANOTHER monitoring question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok i apologize, ANOTHER monitoring question!

Hey all, i really need a monitor for my customs. I expect awesome lows from my new system, but i have a limited budget. How does the cd mix-in sound through the PM3? I thought that i'd just get the PM3 for sometime now, but i keep thinking about the srm-450. My friend and i are trying to find a few people to complete our band, but i don't have the cash to buy a 450 and the sub. The things i liked about the PM3 were the lows and the stereo effect with the two satellites. Should i just wait and see how things go with the band or buy the PM3 now so i can have something. Any help greatly appreciated..

the freak

I'll just get a quickie in here, before all the 'Non-PM-3 owners' tell you to get some big overkill sound system to use as monitors.

In answer to your first question, the CD mix in sounds fantastic through the PM-3 the stereo satellite speakers really work well here. I put my CD through the TD8 and out to the PM-3, no problems there.

The stereo function with the satellites is great. I feel that it gives you a greater sense of 'oneness' (quite like you used to get with your acoustics). That is, when you hit the hi-hat, the sound comes from there, when you hit the ride, again the sound comes from there. The low's are great also.

Some people want a monitor that they can use as a main speaker for their drums (i.e. they don't want a monitor, they want a drum PA) - these people will say - the volume isn't great. For me it's more than enough. I've played live with the PM-3 and it's great as a monitor - I feed the band's vocals (x3) back from the desk to the PM-3 and had great clarity. I have the TD-8 at about 70% and the PM-3 at 70% also. Rehearsal: again no problem with the band hearing: home practice FANTASTIC.

The added bonus is that I drive a little Ford Capri (Mercury in the US?) I can get the V's the rack and the PM 3 in the car with plenty of room for a passenger . . .less easy with multiple bigger speakers . . .just a thought.

I've played my drums with a single speaker and the PM-3. I'd chose the PM-3 time and again. As a Personal Monitor - it's excellent.
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I agree with OzDrumR, I've got PM-3 and it's fantastic for practice and as a PERSONAL monitoring system. Why would I want a pair of 400W RMS speakers and a sub for stage volume? I don't want tinnitus!

Do you need a monitor or a P.A.? That's the question

Schmunk

------------------
      TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer
      TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

thanks guys! I think the PM3 is what i'm looking for...once again thanks for the help

the freak

Comment

I'm using a Peavey HiSys2 cab, with a 2u power amp, 500w into 4ohms. Cost about 300 in total s/h($500?), very loud, very clear, loads of weight for kick drum. Not to big either. There are simpler options around, but I needed to be sure that I can hear myself in any envoironment. I'm using the V-Custom kick and toms, with a real snare & real cymbals so it does need to be pretty loud. This was the best option I could find in terms of price (I'm pretty poor!), size and performance. I tried in-ears and a butt-blaster and it was fab, but too pricey and heavily dependent on loads of other gear (rest of band mix). Hope this helps!
          Jamie
          --
          Dtxtreme III
          Sonor Phonic Rosewood
          Sabian HHX / Zildjian K
          www.sphere3.co.uk

Comment

Probably not the most appropriate place to mention this but...
            Last week I played a gig that used 2 EV 1152 cabs on top to two EV 18" Subs (not sure what series they were). Set up in stereo (one stack each side - slightly behind me). Powered up by an EV P2000 and two EV P3000 amps.
            Holy S**t!!! Nearly took my head clean off! I have no doubt the life of my ear drums has been reduced by about 50 years now.
            Mild overkill for a drum fill, but if you have the (let me see now...) $16,000 (approx) to spend on drum fill then go that way!
            Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Just to add my 2 cents, I bought both the srm 450, and the PM3; I played them side by side for a week and in my opinion I preferred the SRM 450. The PM3 had better highs I must admit, but the lows and overall power of the 450 were better. Two other things to think about are that if you decide to add on to your sound its easy to add on another 450; Also if you play out live, I think the moving and set up of the 450 is easier.
              Can't go too wrong either way.
              Good Luck,
              Zigs

Comment

I got go with the above post. I tried out the PM3,KD500,JBL EON's, and the SRM450 side by side and I got say the best sound over-all was the 450's. Not to mention the flexability issue.
                It works well as a pesonnel monitor, it can be plugged into a PA for gigs, or expanded on later. Something you might have hard time doing with the PM3.
                The other thing is the PM's aren't that cheap, so you might save your elf some money in the long run.

Just remeber have fun what-ever you do.

Comment

I tried the Mackie SRM-450 against the Roland PM-3 and both the shop assistant and I agreed that the PM-3 had better bass. The 12" cone of the SRM-450 just isn't up to reproducing the kick drum!

Schmunk

------------------
                  TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer
                  TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

As far as monitoring home playing, I use one JBL Eon G2 and it is more than enough as far as overall volume, bass, etc...only thing is you lose the stereo but its no big deal...

The question I still am not certain about is what is the best and most versatile live setup...Most of the places I plan on playing have a PA, so I'm concerned about personal monitoring, which the pm-3 seems more than adequate for...

In that sense, the pm-3 is cheaper....two EON types cabinets with a subwoofer is over $1500 while the pm-3 is around $700 and can be used both live for personal monitoring and home studio ...

Comment

2 Eons are over $1500? I got a G2 for $550 shipped--much cheaper than the PM3! And more versatile; the only thing I gave up is stereo. But I plan on getting a second G2 after I move. Fine for monitoring at low volumes (stereo!) and they'll easily handle small-to-medium venues/parties with no PA system. Plus it's nice to be able to plug in my gf's keyboard and/or my microphone and hear it all. WIth the PM3, *all* you get is a personal rack-mounted vdrum monitor. FOr over $150 less, you can have a much more versatile and powerful compact monitor. And it's all in one piece, 50 pounds with a nice carrying handle. (Same form factor as the Mackie SRM450.)

Just MHO after listening and considering my needs. There's NO WAY I would go with a PM3 after having a G2 (or SRM450). the latter 2 have lots of power left to amplify a keyboard or mike, and too often I appreciate how convenient those extra inputs are. Why pay more for less?

Comment

I said two Eons AND a subwoofer come in around $1500, if you shop around....

with a Pm-3 the subwoofer issue is already addressed for less than $700, and I heard keys and even bass guitar through it as a stage mix for small venues and its ok...

Comment

Buy the PM3. I hope it serves you well. It bewilders me how anyone can compare the PM3 with the Mackies or the JBL Eons. I played the PM3 at a drum show in a realitivly small area. The people standing around v set talking were louder than the PM3. The bass was washed out. The highs were ok but with a band playing around you, there is no way the PM3 could keep up. Good luck! If you are a giging drummer I'll bet you'll be replacing the PM3 in 6 months. It's your money.

Comment

Tom --

I think something was wrong if you were getting that low of volume from the PM-3. I have used it for over a year now without any problems -- I have yet to turn it up all the way -- cause I like to hear the rest of the band playing also. At a main level of about 5 or 6 and the PM3 at about 6 or 7 seems to be just about right for me..
                            Denver, CO
                            Vpro Drummer

Comment

A PM-3 flat out is quite a loud thing. Some of you lot must have cast iron ears. Either that or you are just not understanding the point of it. The PM-3 is a PERSONAL monitoring system. It is meant for the drummers ears only, it's not a P.A. Onstage volumes should be relatively quiet. If you need a P.A. buy a couple of SRM-450s and a sub. But then what are you monitoring from? You can't use your main volume source as a monitor... I think most people miss the point completely. A monitor and a P.A. must exist independantly. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING!!

Yours annoyedly

Schmunk

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X