Any rumour of a KD-A18?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any rumour of a KD-A18?

I have a Mapex V kit that I bought to convert but since I saw the Roland KD-A22 I'm considering selling it and switching back to my old Yamaha Stage Custom and converting that instead. I don't want to drill the Yamaha though (already drilled the Mapex) so if there was a kick trigger like the KD-A22 for an 18" kick I'd probably stick with the Mapex.

Since the KD-180 is a thing now, I wondered if there'd been any whispers of a KD-A18 in the pipeline since the product effectively already exists...
    Mapex V & Roland TD-11 Hybrid: 18/10/12/14/13S, Triggera Intrigg triggers, L80 13" HH, L80 18" Ride, CY-14C

Out of interest, just my own curiosity: since you are going to convert an acoustic kit to electronic, why not to try to make your own trigger with few bucks? An internal kick drum trigger is just about 2 screws, 1 angular metal bracket, 1 piezo, some epdm or poron cylinder cushion foam, 2 wires and a female jack...
    Last edited by redtide; 08-11-18, 12:51 PM.
    Roland TD-12 module, DIY DareStone CLDRUMWH A2E drum conversion, DIY rack using Dixon clamps, Pearl P-932 double pedal.

Comment

Or a Triggera Bix..... then you can use it on anything. Even a suitcase.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

Or a bunnie rabbit?
        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder View Post
          Or a bunnie rabbit?
          Would probably work on a bunny. Might get a better response if you freeze said bunny first.... Or at least stuff it....
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

some users report good results with scream chickens instead of bunnies ..

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

Would probably work on a bunny. Might get a better response if you freeze said bunny first.... Or at least stuff it....
              Can't figure out why people are always telling me to "stuff it".
              Scream chickens?
              Screaming goats would be kind of cool but then they pass out and fall down.

"It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by redtide View Post
                  Out of interest, just my own curiosity: since you are going to convert an acoustic kit to electronic, why not to try to make your own trigger with few bucks? An internal kick drum trigger is just about 2 screws, 1 angular metal bracket, 1 piezo, some epdm or poron cylinder cushion foam, 2 wires and a female jack...
                  Main reason is that I don't have the skill to DIY triggers quickly and I don't have the time to do them well... I've got Triggeras in the 18" kit at the minute that I want to replace (uneven triggering) and the solder job is... "interesting."

The KD-A22 appeals because it's effectively an off-the-shelf trigger that I can install into a shell, the downside is that my 22" kit is the one I don't really want to mess about with. I could go with external triggers for the rest of the kit but it has big toms so again, side trigger response isn't amazing.

I was half considering just packing in the whole A2E idea entirely and getting an ATV kit but it looks like I've just accidentally bought a VH11 on ebay so I guess that plan's out of the window.

Would try the goats but I don't think they'd be compatible with the dog.
                  Mapex V & Roland TD-11 Hybrid: 18/10/12/14/13S, Triggera Intrigg triggers, L80 13" HH, L80 18" Ride, CY-14C

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
                    Or a Triggera Bix..... then you can use it on anything. Even a suitcase.
                    I just got two Bix's and a 22" Billy Blast head to replace my aging Kriggs and I am friggin loving it! I was worried about the cords on the double pedal getting in the way of each other but there is a left hole Bix and a right hole bix. I have the head a little loose with a remo falam slam pad and it almost feels like real thing (burying the beater). It was about $200 for everything including shipping.
                    Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post

I just got two Bix's and a 22" Billy Blast head to replace my aging Kriggs and I am friggin loving it! I was worried about the cords on the double pedal getting in the way of each other but there is a left hole Bix and a right hole bix. I have the head a little loose with a remo falam slam pad and it almost feels like real thing (burying the beater). It was about $200 for everything including shipping.

How does the bix help with burying the beater out of interest? Is it just because you can loosen the head and not hamper the triggering?

I already have a real feel head for my Yamaha 22" kick so this could be a good no-drill option if it really works better than a trigger on the drum.

Then I could buy a cheap snare, convert that and put side triggers on the toms.

Might he reselling that Mapex kit at this rate... kind of wish I hadn't prized the grommets out with pliers now.
                      Last edited by unsaltedmd5; 08-16-18, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Could you measure the weight (in grams) of a Triggera Bix?

I seem to be at an impasse about my kick drum upgrade path, so any information could persuade me.
                        ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                        Community Drum Module Document
                        PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

95g ........

Comment

Cheers electrodrummer!
                            ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                            Community Drum Module Document
                            PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Originally posted by unsaltedmd5 View Post

Is it just because you can loosen the head and not hamper the triggering?
                              Yes, pretty much what I was referring to. I've only had the Yamaha KD-65's in the past and then moved to Kriggs for a few years before getting the Bix's. I was worried about the mesh head on the bass being too bouncy, but I put the Falom patch on and kept the head somewhat loose and did not have a problem at all with the Bix's triggering.
                              Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Working...
                              X