Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Mimic and ATV snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic and ATV snare

I just got the ATV snare and so far it is amazing with the Mimic. My DIY snare and Roland were really good but the 3 cone system on the ATV works better for the rimshot. I am able to get a really wide dynamic range on the head and sensitive rim.

On the Roland and DIY snares,turning up rim gain also causes the rim shot to trigger if you play too close to the center cone.

It seems you got a big collection of different snares now! =) May be you can make some demo videos? That would be very interesting!
    Last edited by Mr.Boo; 07-04-18, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I have the Mimic+ATV combo too - really awesome performance.
      Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
        It seems you got a big collection of different snares now! =) May be you can make some demo videos? That would be very interesting!
        The problem is that I like this ATV snare so much that I don't want to switch back! I spent 5 minutes last night altering the PD125 setting to ATV and now a couple of minutes this morning and it is even better. I am able to set the threshold very low without any mistriggering.

Another thing I am doing is setting the "rim only" to side rimshot and layering a second copy of the snare with more compression and setting that "rim only" to rimshot.

The extremely low profile rubber on the rim is great too because it is almost like having no rubber and playing a flanged hoop. The Roland rubber is great quality but it makes the rim much higher than an acoustic drum.

Comment

I have heard so many good things about Atv products. I guess when they come out with a hi end module, that kit would be hard to beat. Not talking about price, just quality. Nothing hi end is cheap for sure!
          Last edited by hemiboy; 07-04-18, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Love my ATV snare. Can't believe how great it plays/feels. Huge step up for me, coming from an old roland snare!
            ATV aD5, ATV Snare, Roland V-Drums, ATV & Roland Cymbals, Gibson Les Pauls & Marshall Amps

Comment

ATV snare is my next purchase. Once I pay off some of the gear I already have(and my kids braces). lol.
              Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
              Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

I have the floor tom now too and it worked after a minute of settings. The snare still amazes me because I can get more dynamic rimshots than I could with Roland or my DIY pads,and the whole pad just seems to have a smoother response.

Comment

I put my BT1 on the rim for cross stick and ran the cross talk detection again. Works like a dream and I have a super sensitive rim on the snare but total isolation with the cross stick. It is good to remember to run the cross talk if you change pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                    and sensitive rim.
                    My diy snare works great too with mimic, here 2 articulation and rings snare on the rims.
                    https://soundcloud.com/user-76111509...ms-snare-rings
                    Last edited by Chris K; 07-17-18, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I think in general, side triggers are optimal with the Mimic since it doesn't have positional sensing. My DIY side mounted trigger setup has great sensitivity and no hot spot. I get the same sensitivity and triggering as Chris demonstrated in the above audio file. Chris uses side mounted triggers with his DIYs.

Center-mounted triggers have inherent challenges, as Peter pointed out: "On the Roland and DIY snares, turning up rim gain also causes the rim shot to trigger if you play too close to the center cone."

The ATV drums have three side-mounted triggers. I haven't triggered the Mimic with my ATV snare, but I'm going to set that up in the next day or two based on Peter's experience. My DIY is working so well, I haven't felt the need, but it will be fun to experiment and compare.

JP
                      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Chris, can you post a photo of your DIY snare? I have a spare steel snare and want to try the .. DIY thing thanks.

Comment

Can you guys post some settings? I started working with the ATV snare on the Mimic from day one so I don't have another baseline to compare. I notice it is less responsive and has less dynamics than the Roland tom pads. Likely a setting or two. I also notice it can have a reverse hotspot in the center. Meaning, a hard hit seems muted. Almost like there is some canceling going on. Strange. Lastly, how are you getting rimshot and cross stick? I'm only getting rimshots, which work quite well, but I have no cross stick sound.

Comment

Originally posted by 510man View Post
                            Can you guys post some settings? I started working with the ATV snare on the Mimic from day one so I don't have another baseline to compare. I notice it is less responsive and has less dynamics than the Roland tom pads. Likely a setting or two. I also notice it can have a reverse hotspot in the center. Meaning, a hard hit seems muted. Almost like there is some canceling going on. Strange. Lastly, how are you getting rimshot and cross stick? I'm only getting rimshots, which work quite well, but I have no cross stick sound.
                            I can send you my ATV snare settings if you message me. They will not upload to the forum. I use a Roland BT1 attached to the rim for cross stick. This allows me to have a side rimshot on rim and full rimshot set to rim and head. Make sure you run the cross talk settings too.

Comment

Originally posted by 510man View Post
                              Most brand new triggers are way off tuned, even one lugs can be loose or finger tight, I know 4 people with brand new ATV triggers had loose mesh head and even completely loose lugs brand new on the box, until they noticed later, which waist hour of time on setting for absolutely nothing. I recommend to remove the mesh head and start over with even tuning mesh and more tighter then looser, looser or uneven mesh head will trigs bad, atv use 3 cones, you must have evenly mesh head tension or issue will appears. Make sure your head tension are tuned evenly higher then lower tension, even Roland recommend to tune them accurately brand new on the box with their instruction.
                              Last edited by Chris K; 02-07-19, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X