Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Teach me your ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach me your ways

Hello all,

I am very new to electronic percussion and have a question for all interested. I have a Roland TD-8 which is about to be coupled with a Hart Dynamics Professional 6.4 Kit. I am also going to be expanding the kit with a couple more toms and cymbals and also a multipad which I already own. My concern is the amount of inputs available to me is 12. I have considered just buying another TD-8, but I read on the board that I can use other pieces of equipment with more inputs and sync them to my existing TD-8 via MIDI. Can someone please explain to me what these other pieces of equipment are and how exactly I sync them with the TD-8. I have been a percussionist for twenty years, but this will be my first electronic kit. I could no longer withstand the amazing amount of creativity I can have with these drums, hence my problem with not enough inputs. Thanks to all who contribute.

Hi
    Since you're saying you're very new to electronic percussion,I would advise you to wait for a while before getting another brain.Because ,believe me,12 inputs are a lot.Start exploring that,then you'll know what you need.
    P.
    Nabil

Comment

Also I'd suggest two different brains give you more options in sounds. I'd rather take a ddrum4 or dtxtreme if I already had a TD-8.

------------------
      http://mpcman.flappie.nl
      Music was my first love...

Comment

A second brain might be too expensive. I would suggest a Roland PM16 pad to MIDI interface. With this you have more inputs and you simply can assign the sound from the td-8 to them.
        Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
          I would suggest a Roland PM16 pad to MIDI interface. With this you have more inputs and you simply can assign the sound from the td-8 to them.
          In addition to the PM16, KAT makes a pad to MIDI iterface called MIDIKiti, and there are a couple of others that are less common. Your multipad (if MIDI) may also be able to play the sounds in your TD-8, in addition to its own sounds.

Comment

What kind of multipad do you have and how does it feel?
            "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

Yes, what kind of multipad are you using? I am using a SPD-20 and I'm using it's additional four trigger inputs to add additional pads to my TD-8, as well as it's internal eight pads. You can also try using the "Shack adapter" search.

Comment

dr. kildrum & puttenvr -

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the advice. I managed to find the MIDIKiti, but I cant seem to find anyone on the net with any info or prices for the PM16. Any links????

Stoovey & Chuck -

I am using the Hart Dynamics Multipad. I looked at the SPD-20, but that was more than I needed or wanted to pay at the time. Also, I tried the SPD-6 and wasnt very impressed. The rubber was too hard and no seperation. I like the multipad because the feel is softer, although sometimes too soft, and the pads are seperated. This is really convienent when playing in low-lit clubs, because I have my multipad set up to my far left. It is very easy for me to hone in on the pad I want without distracting me from my playing. The KAT's were just to expensive.

Comment

Technique,

The PM-16 is no longer produced, but is commonly found on EBay.

Comment

Working...
                  X