Drum-tec Diabolo 13 vs Pro 14 snare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum-tec Diabolo 13 vs Pro 14 snare

I have a Roland TD-11kv and Id like to start a future-proof upgrade of the whole kit (including the module).

The very first piece Id like to upgrade is the snare, and Im between the Drum-tec Diabolo 13 hand-hammered and the Drum-tec Pro 14.

I know well that theyre both big snares for a TD-11 kit and that it wont probably be initially ideal from an ergonomic point of view until I upgrade the rest of the kit, but thats what I need to go through to build my ideal kit step by step.

My guts say to go with the Diabolo 13. I love the look of the hand-hammered and Im afraid that 14 could be too big for my body structure my height is 1.68m (55).

Is the second point a stupid one? I know that the classic snare size is 14 because thats the size needed to reach certain pitches/sounds, something thats not necessary with vdrums 13 feels big enough too to me.

One last doubt that I have is that Drum-tec talks about the Pro series of its snares as a superior triggering system and more precise Positional Sensing, but I honestly feel its one of those things I would not notice.

I saw all the videos I could find on the web and read the Diabolo 13 review here on the forum, but Im asking for your experience/insights for both the physical size and the triggering system.

Thank you!

Roland TD-11KV ~ Dreaming about the ATV kit

Originally posted by ilmagodiloz View Post
    Is the second point a stupid one? I know that the classic snare size is 14 because thats the size needed to reach certain pitches/sounds, something thats not necessary with vdrums 13 feels big enough too to me.
    Yes it is a stupid one. (Sorry). It has practically nothing to do with body size. If you want a 14", buy the 14". If you want a 13", buy the 13". Personal preference is all there is to it.

Originally posted by ilmagodiloz View Post
    One last doubt that I have is that Drum-tec talks about the Pro series of its snares as a superior triggering system and more precise Positional Sensing, but I honestly feel its one of those things I would not notice.

I saw all the videos I could find on the web and read the Diabolo 13 review here on the forum, but Im asking for your experience/insights for both the physical size and the triggering system.
    As far as I'm aware it's the same triggering system. So the practical difference is what it looks like and 1 inch.

Comment

I use a 13 acoustic snare and am quite happy with my 13 diamond snare so go with the whatever feels right for you. My son was playing. 14 snare when he was only 4 6 so I dont think your size makes any difference
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I have the 13" ATV snare and love the size - I'm 6'4" so body size has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I tried 13 vs 14 and always prefer 14. Another thing to consider is what size your hi hat is. I have the 14 inch ATV hats and don't like a snare smaller than my hi hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
              I tried 13 vs 14 and always prefer 14. Another thing to consider is what size your hi hat is. I have the 14 inch ATV hats and don't like a snare smaller than my hi hat.
              I have the Roland CY-5 (9.5") ... for now

Comment

Working...
              X