Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

ATV aDrums/AD5 with VST

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATV aDrums/AD5 with VST

Quick question for the group - ATV aDrums have two-zone toms and two- and three-zone cymbals, but the AD5 module does not use all of them. If I were to use a VST, would the AD5 module send the MIDI notes for the extra zones, or are they not recognized at the hardware input level? I'm still amazed that this is even a question.

Follow-up: if the AD5 module just doesn't see all of the zones, what would you all recommend as a MIDI pass-through module for their kit? Just trying to get all my info together before making a purchase. Thanks!

You're correct - the aD5 doesn't support the 2 zone toms at the hardware level. The 2 aux inputs, however, are dual zone (strange I know).
    Other oddities: the hi-hat, while functional, can't be fine tuned in SD3 for example. Not sure why. Also doesn't send choke on cymbals.

Great module (I love mine), but not the best for VST use. If I were going strictly VST I'd stick with Roland modules. Really comes down to your budget as far as which one.
    Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

For using vst Roland is the best and more flexible, ad5 choke, foot splash, toms rims don't works and no position sensings, no midi out.

I would recommend you a td30 used, or at worst td20\td12 used but are older. But position sensing don't works with Adrum.
      Last edited by Chris K; 05-07-18, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Agree with Chris - an older TD12/20 would be fine.
        Depending on your budget and input needs you may be fine with a TD11/15/25 since the aDrums aren't going to offer much in the way of positional sensing (I think Mike Snyder demonstrated that it did work a bit).

IMO the TD30 is a bit over-kill if you're 100% VST. I'd save a bit more and get a MIMIC personally.
        Last edited by molson; 05-07-18, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Agree with adrum tech trigger no position sensing works as it should., in that case td11\15\25\ upcoming new roland module could works.
          Last edited by Chris K; 05-07-18, 12:42 PM.

Comment

TD-11 has no positional sensing, save money and get a used TD-12 (450 in Europe, maximum).
            Pearl 14x3,5 Free Floating Stainless Steel + DDT Truss trigger/PD-108(alto)/PD-128StoRegular(medium)/PD-128(floor)/KD-140(kick)/ATV 14 HiHat)/ATV 18(ride)/ATV 16(crash)/TD-12/MDS-25

Comment

Originally posted by Olivier75009 View Post
              TD-11 has no positional sensing, save money and get a used TD-12 (450 in Europe, maximum).
              but Adrum snare\toms triggers tech, are not compatible with position sensing it wont works with any module available that use position sensing, he need to use others trigger then adrum kit.
              Last edited by Chris K; 05-07-18, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not married to ATV as a choice, but it's so hard to find kits with decent pad and cymbal sizes. They don't have to be 1:1 with acoustic in my opinion, but 8 inch toms and 13 inch crashes just seem - I don't know - insufficient? Cymbals with any kind of size are especially hard to find. Guess I'll be paying extra attention to the specs of the recently announced and upcoming products from ATV, Pearl, and Roland.

Comment

Originally posted by Island_DJ View Post
                  Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not married to ATV as a choice, but it's so hard to find kits with decent pad and cymbal sizes. They don't have to be 1:1 with acoustic in my opinion, but 8 inch toms and 13 inch crashes just seem - I don't know - insufficient? Cymbals with any kind of size are especially hard to find. Guess I'll be paying extra attention to the specs of the recently announced and upcoming products from ATV, Pearl, and Roland.
                  you can buy atv cymbal without the rest, combined with others triggers brand that use center cone for position sensing, drumtech, Roland etc. Atv cymbal are compatible with most module, but if you don't care about position sensing, you can buy adrums...without atv module, and use Roland module.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 05-07-18, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I am in the same boat as Island... wanting the feel of the full kit, and especially the cymbals, but will primarily be using it for VST work. Assuming the ATV module isn't great at VST integration, which module would be ideal? I am thinking the TD25, simply because it is the best for the same price (but I understand there will be no POS). The TD30 is still expensive even used. -

I do worry a bit about pairing the ATV high hat with a Roland module, but as previously noted, they are supposed to work well, so that might be an irrational fear.

Also, just to stoke the argument a bit, the video below is a pretty impressive example of somebody using Alesis pads, Yamaha cymbals, an ATV module and SD3. Sounds great (but again, we aren't seeing any tom rim hits or high hat foot splashes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M00ZPuCI7os
                    Last edited by kgraeme; 05-07-18, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Island_DJ View Post
                      Get ATV toms..i'm using them with my TD-50...precise triggering with no hotspot...dont get ATV cymbals though; not sturdy and have an edge-triggering issue...module-wise; TD-50 with digital snare and ride offers ultimate realism with dynamics on SD3...recommended

Comment

I have the ATV hats and ride and absolutely love them. No triggering or durability issues with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
                          I have the ATV hats and ride and absolutely love them. No triggering or durability issues with mine.
                          Most atv cymbal users like them, are positif, with few exception.

Comment

I'm thinking the aDrums with the TD17 might be the way to go! Real(ish) pad and cymbal sizes but with the known module+VST combo.

Comment

Originally posted by kgraeme View Post
                              I am thinking the TD25, simply because it is the best for the same price (but I understand there will be no POS).
                              Td25 supports position sensing..it's adrum trigger are not real compatible with position sensing same as ad5 module.
                              Last edited by Chris K; 05-10-18, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X