Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

New GEWA-DW G9 E-Drum Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love an all touchscreen. Mimic did it right.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
      Well, probably I don't have a moral right to comment it.
      But I have a question, why so many people like the user interface design?
      Why people feel it's great to have a big drumkit picture all over the screen?
      What is the use of it?
      No trolling here - I'm really struggling to understand.
      I think it is because it looks more like a VST but it is a complete waste of space. I am puzzled why they are having such extreme machine gunning issues. When I had new instruments for the AD5 , they were 10 mb at the most and performed fairly well. These instruments must be a lot smaller , closer to just a few samples. It sounds like it only has one sample at max velocity which would cause alot of machine gunning.

Comment

Well, probably I don't have a moral right to comment it.
        But I have a question, why so many people like the user interface design?
        Why people feel it's great to have a big drumkit picture all over the screen?
        What is the use of it?
        No trolling here - I'm really struggling to understand.
        I have always been visually stimulated when It comes to musical gear. And while Its definitely not needed I like the animation of the drum set and the digital versions of analog knobs that are familiar to me. Every piece of software I have whether it be guitar software like positive grid bias or amplitube to my VST software like Ez drummer and superior drummer 3 has an animation for each amp or drum kit and its just fun. It makes you feel like you have something more than just a data file. And while literally nothing changes with or without that animation having it is something that I enjoy and helps keep me engaged with the program and offers a familiarity that breaks up the monotony of using a computer program to do what I would normally do with actual amps or drum sets. For me when I see a drum kit represented with nothing but letters and numbers and abbreviations I feel a disconnect. And having the animation helps with the illusion that I actually have those amps, drums or whatever built into the software. Another way of looking at is is with edrum pads. The pads of a roland TD 11 technically can do the same exact things my conversion kit can do. But having my drum kit look like a drum kit helps me enjoy the experience a lot more. I play music because I enjoy it. So anything that help aid me in that quest I appreciate. If I was more of a working musician doing jingles I would probably want a more straight forward basic program to help facilitate better productivity. Many of us musicians struggle with abandoning analog gear. The animation for some of us helps ease the transition between a tactile product and a virtual one.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpledc View Post

I have always been visually stimulated when It comes to musical gear. And while Its definitely not needed I like the animation of the drum set and the digital versions of analog knobs that are familiar to me. Every piece of software I have whether it be guitar software like positive grid bias or amplitube to my VST software like Ez drummer and superior drummer 3 has an animation for each amp or drum kit and its just fun. It makes you feel like you have something more than just a data file. And while literally nothing changes with or without that animation having it is something that I enjoy and helps keep me engaged with the program and offers a familiarity that breaks up the monotony of using a computer program to do what I would normally do with actual amps or drum sets. For me when I see a drum kit represented with nothing but letters and numbers and abbreviations I feel a disconnect. And having the animation helps with the illusion that I actually have those amps, drums or whatever built into the software. Another way of looking at is is with edrum pads. The pads of a roland TD 11 technically can do the same exact things my conversion kit can do. But having my drum kit look like a drum kit helps me enjoy the experience a lot more. I play music because I enjoy it. So anything that help aid me in that quest I appreciate. If I was more of a working musician doing jingles I would probably want a more straight forward basic program to help facilitate better productivity. Many of us musicians struggle with abandoning analog gear. The animation for some of us helps ease the transition between a tactile product and a virtual one.
          too much trade-off for a real usability for me.
          But it seems it's personal.

PS the comparison to a real sized drum shells is a little off in my opinion.
          Most of the time you use your drum module - you don't actually look at it or touch it - you look and "touch" the drumkit =)

But when it comes to youtube, the only thing you have is a picture, so I kinda get it now.

sorry for off-topic, let's continue the discussion of G9
          Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-05-19, 12:13 PM.

Comment

too much trade-off for a real usability for me.
            But it seems it's personal.

PS the comparison to a real sized drum shells is a little off in my opinion.
            Most of the time you use your drum module - you don't actually look at it or touch it - you look and "touch" the drumkit =)
            And you are more than welcome to disagree. But you asked so I was replying as the answer relates to me. But I disagree that my comparison was off. When I am creating sounds in the module I am MOST DEFINITELY looking at and touching the drum module. I think we can agree that I cant move a fader by tapping on my tom or eq my kick drum by dragging my finger the mesh heads. Im only looking at the drum kit when Im actually playing the sounds all ready created within the module. But any time I am doing any sort of sound creation the module is the main focus and im only briefly engaging with the actual kit to double check what audible changes are taking place due to the interaction I am having with the module. I would find it incredibly difficult to operate the mimic without looking at it or touching it. Especially considering how in depth you can go with creating sounds and making new kits. It demands quite a bit of user interaction with the module. Don't get me wrong. Im not about to give up the mimic just because some other unit has a display I prefer over it. But if you are asking me which display I prefer I prefer the animation for the reasons I provided.
            Last edited by purpledc; 11-05-19, 12:43 PM.

Comment

And you are more than welcome to disagree. But you asked so I was replying as the answer relates to me. But I disagree that my comparison was off. When I am creating sounds in the module I am MOST DEFINITELY looking at and touching the drum module. I think we can agree that I cant move a fader by tapping on my tom or eq my kick drum by dragging my finger the mesh heads. Im only looking at the drum kit when Im actually playing the sounds all ready created within the module. But any time I am doing any sort of sound creation the module is the main focus and im only briefly engaging with the actual kit to double check what audible changes are taking place due to the interaction I am having with the module. I would find it incredibly difficult to operate the mimic without looking at it or touching it. Don't get me wrong. Im not about to give up the mimic just because some other unit has a display I prefer over it. But if you are asking me which display I prefer I prefer the animation.
              sooooo, how the picture of the drumkit that covers the whole screen helps you to dial the eq or reverb? =)

PS I'm definitely not trying to build mimic vs others here. Just trying to understand thoughts of people. Sometimes it's emotions, sometime it's something else. Thus I'm just learning other people opinions, NOT arguing.
              Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-05-19, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• I think skeuomorphism, done properly, can be a great benefit to bridge that difficult gap between a cold numerical presentation and a more aesthetically pleasing 'front cover' that is more emotionally engaging - which has been clued at by purpledc.

Toontrack has it the best for VSTs - they've done it in a tasteful way that's functional and intuitive if you want to make simple changes like swap drums or adjust levels quickly. With larger / more technical bits off to the sides, where they have the screen estate to do that. They also understand most people aren't using their software to build kits, but are just choosing scenes / moods applicable to the sound they want, which is why they distinguish the graphics on each EZX.

Would a more skeuomorphic interface for the Mimic Pro work? Probably not. Not in a way that would work for a small touchscreen.

I imagine you would have to go with an appearance more akin to BFD3 with it's geometric shapes - so you could symbolically match the schematic of your actual kit in a top-down view.

Then you'd want to be able to add/remove instruments easily, have cymbals and toms in the right size and place. You'd want tap to sample or hold it down to open a drop-down menu of options, etc. and it would all have to work with fingers. So the small splash cymbal would be harder to select than your floor tom unless you made it really big, or supported pinch to zoom. You wouldn't have space for much else at that size.

Then you've got the animations - which if not a smooth 30fps - could degrade the feel and effect performance so much, that whole UI becomes a drag on resources.

I liked a lot of the early previews of UI on the G9. I also don't understand what they've done for the latest preview. I assume it's just a home screen page and the rest of the tweaks are buried somewhere else?

Either way, it sounds like gated reverb, which I can get on Roland modules that are less expensive.
                Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 11-05-19, 03:05 PM.
                ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                Community Drum Module Document
                PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

• Who doesn't like eye candy

Comment

sooooo, how the picture of the drumkit that covers the whole screen helps you to dial the eq or reverb? =)

PS I'm definitely not trying to build mimic vs others here. Just trying to understand thoughts of people. Sometimes it's emotions, sometime it's something else. Thus I'm just learning other people opinions, NOT arguing.
                    Well then I would say that if your intentions are to NOT argue and if you are in fact simply trying to understand other peoples opinions an easier way to go about doing that would be to not try and pick apart every single reason they present to you, as it relates to them not you. The purpose of exchanging this kind of information especially since you asked for it, is so you might better understand another persons thinking even if you don't actually agree with it. But instead of that Im left with an impression that you are trying to show the other person that they have flaws in their thinking and why they shouldn't like what they like. To which I would argue that we are all different for a reason and its why different products are needed to perform the exact same task. The reason become irrelevant if you cant accept those reasons.

Comment

Well then I would say that if your intentions are to NOT argue and if you are in fact simply trying to understand other peoples opinions an easier way to go about doing that would be to not try and pick apart every single reason they present to you, as it relates to them not you. The purpose of exchanging this kind of information especially since you asked for it, is so you might better understand another persons thinking even if you don't actually agree with it. But instead of that Im left with an impression that you are trying to show the other person that they have flaws in their thinking and why they shouldn't like what they like. To which I would argue that we are all different for a reason and its why different products are needed to perform the exact same task. The reason become irrelevant if you cant accept those reasons.
                      sorry to make you so sad.
                      but I'm just tried to understand your answer better, thus the questions.
                      nothing more.

And that is not flaws in thinking - that is the weakness of text descriptions. It is hard to express feeling in text.

To me personally, it's important to understand if you (or some other man) just like great picrure on the screen, or you feel it's really useful.
                      This particular drumkit picture does not show drum names, or particular drum photos, it just shows the animation of the drum being hit during your performance - thus I thought that it's not so useful in real life, but looks great in PR videos.

But at the same time - people can just _like_ something without any practical reason - and that is _totally ok_.
                      I'm just trying to understand - what "kind" of "I like it" people feel about this particular user interface decision.
                      Thus I'm forced to pick apart every reason - that is the only way to understand it. Not agree or disagree, or believe or accept - but understand.
                      Thus I'm not arguing against the things you like.

Hopefully now you would better understand my questions and sorry for making you sad.
                      Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-05-19, 03:38 PM.

Comment

sorry to make you so sad.
                        but I'm just tried to understand your answer better, thus the questions.
                        nothing more.

And that is not flaws in thinking - that is the weakness of text descriptions. It is hard to express feeling in text.

To me personally, it's important to understand if you (or some other man) just like great picrure on the screen, or you feel it's really useful.
                        This particular drumkit picture does not show drum names, or particular drum photos, it just shows the animation of the drum being hit during your performance - thus I thought that it's not so useful in real life, but looks great in PR videos.

But at the same time - people can just _like_ something without any practical reason - and that is _totally ok_.
                        I'm just trying to understand - what "kind" of "I like it" people feel about this particular user interface decision.
                        Thus I'm forced to pick apart every reason - that is the only way to understand it. Not agree or disagree, or believe or accept - but understand.
                        Thus I'm not arguing against the things you like.

Hopefully now you would better understand my questions and sorry for making you sad.
                        In that case no I see no functional advantage. In actuality it is the exact opposite. Its more about personal enjoyment and what catches the eye and what I prefer aesthetically. It would likely take longer to create a kit. But because I found it visually engaging I wouldn't mind and may get more done in the long run because the picture would keep me entertained. And yes, I am entertained that easily :-)

Comment

In that case no I see no functional advantage. In actuality it is the exact opposite. Its more about personal enjoyment and what catches the eye and what I prefer aesthetically. It would likely take longer to create a kit. But because I found it visually engaging I wouldn't mind and may get more done in the long run because the picture would keep me entertained. And yes, I am entertained that easily :-)
                          Thank you very much!
                          That is exactly what I tried to understand.

Comment

• The G9 screen that is shown in the marketing materials and videos is just the home screen. The user controls for most of the editing is in the advanced screens. There you can create custom user kits and tweak the sounds in a number of ways. You can see more about it here - https://www.gewaelectronics.com

Comment

• Had a look at the link and the module looks great and has a great selection of connectors. For there own sake I hope they get the sound sorted out as this kit is going to be expensive
                              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

• on older computers it made a difference in performance whether you had graphics going on or 'docked' in the task bar.. (with vst's)
                                probably with pc's now it doesn't make a lot of difference .. still for editing i would have it displayed and for real time playing docked
                                (but that's just my opinion) ..G9 graphically looks very impressive, but the sounds (samples) and triggering can still be improved ..
                                - or 'should' still be improved - if they should 'fit' the graphics .. now they are not on the same level..
                                | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Working...
                                X