Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

New GEWA-DW G9 E-Drum Workstation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, have to say, thats a LOT better than the first mimic video I saw.

Just sayin'

E Kit 3: ATV aDrums extended kit; Roland TD30; Superior Drummer 3 (2018)
    E Kit 2: Roland TD 10 and Roland and Yamaha pads (1997)
    E Kit 1: Emax Sampler, Roland Octapad, DDrum pads, acoustic cymbals (1988)
    A Kit: Ayotte drums; UFIP, Sabian and Paiste Cymbals

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
      The worst part is, this is actually very bad for their reputation, if they don't bring this thing to market in the next 12-18 months. People will simply move on - but remember. It doesn't take too much to burn bridges with consumer
      It's not even sure it will ever released in Us and how is the support. The price is expensive. Also we forget any new product take about 1 years to full be working that include Roland. I can't think about wifi issue can create, computer are nightmare when you mix things with.
      Last edited by Chris K; 01-28-19, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post

It's not even sure it will ever released in Us and how is the support. The price is expensive. Also we forget any new product take about 1 years to full working that include Roland. I can't think about wifi issue can create, computer are nightmare when you mix things with.
        That's what I meant. I was talking in US time... BUT ...with the billion Roland patents, I highly doubt it will be seen in the US any time soon ...if ever. I'd be shocked. From everything I've seen, I'm not interested anyway. It's eye-candy.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Yikes. That's the only word I have. With the Mimic and all of the VSTs out there, and even the Roland and Strike offerings, what in the world could they be thinking? I don't really care about the DW thing so much. The screen on this looks nice but what a LOT of hype for something that sounds like this.

I saw the other comment that said "but when I saw the first Mimic..." but as I think back to my first exposure to Mimic, it didn't feel like this. I thought..."hmmm, that might be interesting" and then the first real release video of Ralf playing the first actual teaser! Man was I stoked to get my unit-on-order. I believe this was the one that I must have listened to 20 times that evening (got mine August 17 of 2017, just a few weeks later): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60UglPYaMsY

SMH.
          My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

• If we are comparing firsts for the Gewa vs Mimic, this is probably the first Mimic we heard in 2017, at NAMM, and it did sound very nice then!
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFeGUpz9Y1U
            Last edited by jpsquared482; 01-29-19, 12:10 AM.
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

• i fell in love with the idea of the mimic at first sight! and it got even better at release date! Thanks Mr.Boo and everyone involved creating our dreams and the continuous updated improvements. I trust it will even get better.
              Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

• Guys, we should probably keep this on topic.
                Alan

Comment

• I hope for the best for Gewa but since the video is out now,I will talk about playing the kit. I played their most expensive kit at NAMM and then went back to play the cheapest one. They both played exactly the same telling me the trigger settings were as good as they could be. [I also played the Mimic at NAMM 2017 the first weekend it was shown and there is no comparison. It played almost well as it does now for me].

The Gewa is a mystery to me. It sounds more like a Strike module and has extensive triggering problems. The hi hat is also strangely tight with no in between level like the Mimic. It was very difficult to get to the 1/4 open level on both kits.

The ride bell has to be hit hard like Roland. The bow works fairly well and the rebound was good. All cymbal edges were miss-triggering and there are no swells. The snare and tom triggering was better than the cymbals but still had issues.

The finish on the shells was nice. Maybe they will work on this kit and improve it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                    ... The hi hat is also strangely tight with no in between level like the Mimic. It was very difficult to get to the 1/4 open level on both kits...
                    That was one of the most noticeable issues in the video.... besides the apparent triggering issues. The guy finally just gave up using tom 2.
                    Alan

Comment

• Didn't they once advertise their pristine content from doing all the sampling work at Funkhaus Berlin? I know that place, and if you want to capture that beautiful space adequately you have to actually do your homework. The sounds in the video sound completely amateurish, as if someone without any experience in drum recording did that. Hihat and ride are dead-center, without any ambience, there's no breathing, and everything is overhyped and and has spiky resonances. Recorded way too close to the actual heads and cymbals, and nothing blends together. One can actually do quite some good sampling work of a kit in a small studio, but... Funkhaus Nalepastraße... it's the former GDR main broadcast facility and one of the best acoustics you may find. The architecture alone already makes you fall down on your knees, with all the best woods and marble in pure abundance. It's not a studio, it's a monument.
                      Gewa, how embarrasing, and an epic marketing fail.
                      MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (DIY hall-sensor based hihat, low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3), Triggera 10" splash
                      Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat, Intruder Double Pedal
                      Shure SE215 in-ears w. CustomArt silicone tips

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

I think DW is waiting out Roland patents. They are probably ready to roll, but this is may be the only thing holding them back. I really liked and wanted the DW kit when I saw it, but I also really want traditional ratio sized shell depths. (just smaller ratio to real kit size) Thus, I will likely go ATV or DIY when I finally move to a conversion. The DW kit looks amazing, but I think they're really cutting themselves short by not using sizes like ATV.
                        Agree completely.

Also the video seems to show many missed triggers on the toms and the cymbals sound terrible. But this is probably a prototype.

Comment

• I watched the Gewa video and it sounds a little better on my studio monitors than the headphones there at NAMM. They might consider what Pearl did for the Mimic which is to have Audio Technica ATH M70X headphones on all the kits or at least ATH M50's.

The current kits sound dry but I think they were supposed to have a room mic channel and reverb. The triggering issues are still the main thing right now.

Comment

• As for the video I am surprised that this could have been released...

...but on the other hand I think the full potential - if there’s any - of the modul will be seen later...I can not believe that this „is all“ after all the development that they have made and the investment in a relatively small branch...at least not with the knowledge of a milestone in this segment with the Mimic...

One day we will see - or even not...
                            Last edited by rsm; 01-30-19, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Here comes another video. This one's from 65 Drums. Interesting stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwlz97DtTv0&t=368s
                              Check out The Stewards on any major streaming platform, including the ones below.
                              Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/the-stewards
                              Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
                              Deezer - https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

• Originally posted by TheStewards View Post
                                Here comes another video. This one's from 65 Drums. Interesting stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwlz97DtTv0&t=368s
                                Good video. Glad to see Justin went a little more in-depth on the module’s features. I’ll reserve comment on it until final product is released but based on price point they will have to make it as good or better than Mimic Pro.
                                Last edited by Chance27; 01-31-19, 07:20 AM.
                                ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                X