No announcement yet.

New GEWA-DW G9 E-Drum Workstation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a former FOH guy, I appreciate when Gewa don't allow for fx processing on the individual out. Even EQ & comp is already too much for my taste. I was known to be very an*l about this on live jobs, but (sometimes after lengthy discussions) it always turned out to be better this way. Worst thing was always with keyboardists, btw. Most of them tend to drench eveything in reverb (or worst: wrong delay times and out-of-phase chorus), just because it sounded spot-on in their rehearsal room. But in most venues, built-in reverbs of whatever gear just piles up to a wash of sound, and every FOH guy is then faced with an angry audience like 'wtf are you doing, man!'. I *insisted* of disabling all that crap, regardless of whatever artistic expression was meant by it. Unless you're a goth or shoegazer.
    It's better to built it up from scratch then in the venue, if time allows.
    Reverb, delay & chorus/flange is not only a time-domain effect, they're all massively smearing the phase response and rotate phase numerous times in a specific frequency region, which - along with room modes and local resonances in a venue - easily accumulates to something muddy and undecipherable. If possible, they should at least be provided seperately on a spare output pair, so that the FOH guy has a chance to balance things.

Built-in EQ & compression is also a double-edged sword. Surely helps th musician to create something more meaningful, but every sound guy then has to EQ against it (it *never* works right away live), and compression often accumulates to something too up-front and annoyingly sterile over a good and powerful PA (I'm talking minimum 3-5kW and stacked or arrayed, plus delay lines probably). The bigger the location and the more powerful the PA, the more natural dynamics you have to play with. It's better to leave it up to the FOH place to decide whether signal peek through too much or are buried so that compression makes sense, but it always depends on that particular situation (venue, audience, even time of day), and a good sound guy will figure that out right away. Don't play against those species!
    Last edited by sascha; 07-27-18, 12:03 AM.
    MarkDrum YES e-kit (+1 crash, Double Kick), modified HH (DIY hall-sensor based circuit)
    Gibraltar 9607NL-DP Legless Hi Hat
    Gibraltar Intruder Double Pedal
    ATH-M40fs + M40x + SRH440 Phones

Comment

• Originally posted by ReeseRocket View Post

Well, It kinda does. If you crank the individual out and try to EQ etc, Your individual out sounds one way and the stereo outs sound another. I think it would just be easier to have the option to send efects /comp/eq to the individual outs. But NO. :-( That makes too much sense.
      It is so much better for front of house to control the reverb on 1 channel. If you send all the outputs to separate outs,it should sound the same as the stereo outs if you just pull up the faders. Then the sound tech can adjust effects to the room.

Comment

• Any news on a release date yet?

Comment

• They said September, but it wouldn't surprise if they held out till NAMM. I expect prices will change with the tariffs, and they will want time for those memories to fade by January.
          Alan
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• I noticed from this video that they changed the cymbal pads. They look very similar to Roland pads, but from different angles I think they changed them...Hard to tell. the original design looked really thick and not very aesthetic. I definitely prefer thin cymbal pads that have some give and flex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubMFzaNrS5Q
            Last edited by drumlab84; 09-03-18, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Yes the recent cymbal pads are different, just strange that those 3 drummers are speaking only...not drumming and that they only speak in german ( well I am german and understand what they said ). They just do marketing talk, saying how much they like the look of the set ( looks like a real drum set ) and the feel. Looks and feels like real and not like a toy or like other Edrum sets on the market. But they forget that a combo of Drum-Tec and Mimic Pro also looks and feels and even sounds real. Besides such useless marketing talk it would be nicer to hear more from the module how it sounds now, since April nothing more heard how it sounds and performs.
              Last edited by spitfirejoe; 09-04-18, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• I'm guessing those are simply "test" cymbals. As they highly resemble Roland's, they may very well be for testing Roland compatibility. They just look like old rubber Rolands to me.
                Alan

Comment

• It is not good to change any design on anything on shorts months, that means there is no proof of reliability and quality for long term usage to start, cymbal are the worst to make, history proof it.

Think Roland are reliable, did ever one complained on durability, they test at least all their gear one year in real tour mode and highly advanced tool in all scenario.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 09-05-18, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• I don't think we're talking about the same thing. You do realize they are showing TWO different cymbal sets in the video, right? One from the initial release, and one for this video. The ones shot in this video look like rubber Rolands. With all that dust, they're probably just for testing.

I'm just saying they look like Roland. It wouldn't surprise me if they took the names off somehow. (for real, or in post)

top.PNG

bottom.PNG

plug.PNG
                    Alan

Comment

• i agree.. i kindof liked the 'modeling to paiste 2002 shape and weight' but these video's are very confusing for a company who's trying to promote
                      a new product .. (actually this is not promoting at all.. ) ..this just gives another bad signal on status ..

Comment

• maybe they're trying to show us that this thing will work with our old, beat up, dusty pads. They just don't want to actually say it'll work with our old, beat up, dusty pads. lol
                        Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
                        Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                          They said September, but it wouldn't surprise if they held out till NAMM. I expect prices will change with the tariffs, and they will want time for those memories to fade by January.
                          This site of DWe ( http://dwelectronics.com/ ) indicates that it will be coming summer 2019!
                          If I assume that this is about the G9 am I way off?
                          Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV / SPD-SX / Superior Drummer 3

Comment

• I expected this. (not to say the module still won't release) As I mentioned regarding fall price increases, I think we all need to expect some changes in the coming months from multiple manufacturers.
                            Alan

Comment

• We'll see, as for now, here in Europe Behringer prices are going 'down, down, deeper and down'.

Comment

• I have to scratch that off my list. Iíll stick with Roland TD 50.

Comment

Working...
                                X