Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

TD50 - Feel the Love?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demonocus View Post

I did DL the free kits (didn't get the pay ones,thank god) my vh-11 just won't trigger good at all with the ad5 but triggers perfect on my td-9,the rim triggers setting for the bassdrum only pick up about every 3rd hit so i had to set it to atv kick and that seemed to pick up all the hits but also had odd volume drops and spikes so i went back to my kd120 because there was a preset for that and that worked much better. My cy12 seems to miss hits and has odd volume drops,the cy13 and 15 seem to work ok however all of them work better on the td9.The rim triggers on my toms and snare work great ,never had a problem with those.
    This sound all setting, calibration, threshold, sensitivity, crosstalk, should not happend.

Remembers folks worked at roland and created triggers and worked on vdrum module.
    Last edited by Chris K; 12-16-18, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

This sound all setting, calibration, threshold, sensitivity, crosstalk, should not happend.

Remembers folks worked at roland and created triggers and worked on vdrum module.
      I have run the trigger wizard many times and also used some of the advanced settings but in the interest of trying to fix the issues i will hook it back up 1 last time and try setting up the cymbals from scratch without using the wizard at all if that's possible and if i can get it to trigger as good as my td9 triggers i'll keep it but theres still also the issue of the ride sustain clipping when doing bomb blast beats(thats fast double bass with ride and snare for you non metal guys) so hopefully that will fix it self with the new settings because i really do like the ad5 sounds but i need reliable triggering.

Comment

Originally posted by demonocus View Post

without using the wizard at all if that's possible and if i can get it to trigger
        you can do this, use cy preset and tweak it, (wizard it take your minimal hit and max), cy preset is default setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post

The learning curve of TD-50 is easy at first, immediately playing/navigating kits and then starting to change the head tension and shell depth with the LED lighted dials and making adjustments in the basic 1 and 2 sections. Mixer settings and assigning levels of ambience and FX gets deep but it's fairly intuitive and you already know Roland gear.

Getting deeper into the module takes some time because there is adjustment on almost every level. For example how much of an effect you want assigned to a sub layer of an instrument. But this level of editing while designing you're own kits especially when combined with importing samples becomes really fun. A one shot sample (use the "optimize sample" feature and, if you want, edit the actual waveform and choose "one shot poly" if you want the sample hits to overlap smoothly) is incredibly cool to layer underneath an onboard multisample instrument. Value the creativity and coolness of this feature rather than get annoyed you can't import a multisample layer. I like the mad scientist aspect of transferring the data with the SD card. I use a Sandisk Ultra plus 32GB, don't go over 32 GB or it won't read. You don't just plug a USB stick in it and import .wav's, the USB port on the TD-50 is for Midi over USB and the TD-50 transferring the 10 channels of audio straight into your DAW. If you're computer doesn't have an SD card reader you have to buy one.

I highly suggest the 2 sound packs/ VEX packs for the TD-50 from V Expressions. Drive your car really fast off the lot but then get you're Porsche or sports car equivalent of a top tier e-kit tuned by a pro. Then go drive it. This isn't a hard sell I am all about getting the most from my gear and redesigned architecture in your TD-50 is the equivalent of updated samples for your VST.

In Studio X there are I believe 5 cymbal packs with lighter, brighter more articulate cymbals and really nice sets of toms and cool kits with some excellent pieces. One of the best features of TD-50 is pressing Shift & SD Card together and using the pad and instrument set buttons to swap individual drum/tom and cymbal sets. The lighter Paiste modeled Vex high hats to my ear sound so much better. In my playing they feel better/respond better than the two that come with the TD-50 (which aren't bad - good heavier high hat sounds). The volumes of edge and tip have been adjusted so they play more realistically. Closed edge is quieter but the beef of the two cymbals together at the edge makes up for it just like a real high hat. Then you will have 7 high hats to choose from and further edit.

I just saw a video of someone struggling with what seemed like a badly calibrated high hat on one of the two built in TD-50 high hat sounds. Make sure you calibrate your high hat so it opens and closes smoothly. Understand that a VH-12 or 13 won't give you much more than a VH-11 except a tight sound when putting pressure on the pedal. That and more of the natural feeling of a two piece high hat opening and closing. Repeatedly playing tight articulations on a real high hat will eventually sound annoying, so it goes with the Roland.

It definitely triggers better than older Roland models refer to the earlier video and info I posted on this thread and more importantly go and play the thing knowing the Roland company had to make the triggering system better and more responsive to sell it at all. They built TD-50 from the ground up they didn't just convert a 30 brain into a 50. Are there similarities to earlier triggering by Roland yes and thank goodness. As an integrated playing experience, pads with brain, especially with the digital pads it's likely the best at this time. It's also the best triggering system for a vst especially SD3. Also does a great job with SSD5.

I've only regretted getting the TD-50 on lonely nights reading this forum with all the bad things people have to say about it. It's made me feel sick in the pit of my stomach to be honest but I am a super wimp when it comes to other people's opinions. I think I started hating myself for getting it at one point but I love it more than ever now. It makes perfect sense to get the flagship Roland now it's only a few months over 2 years ago they released it and several years before they release another.

Get the base model all the good stuff is there I think a lot of folks got pissed off because they either couldn't afford it (like me) or spent 10k with tax and store warranty on the KVX and then everyone started screaming about the Mimic pro pre release.

Blast the sales guy with all your knowledge from this forum and drive the price down on a TD-50K and then get some drum tec 3 ply heads for your toms. The triggers in the PDX-100 are identical to the 108 and 128 pads and you can go get a VH 12 or 13 high hat on eBay if you must have one. The KD 120 is powerful and looks great. The brain, snare, and ride are the prize.

Play it first but choose wisely you're music store. I was at the GC on 14th street in Manhattan and there was an unconnected Mimic that the sales guy said they couldn't really figure out how to make trigger correctly, tons of mid level kits being demolished by ten year olds, and a pack of people beating on the absolutely road warrior looking TD-50 KVX in the middle of the room that had been through hell and back.

I'm designing a kit tonight and psyched about it. I download one shot sampled kits from Drum Drops for about 7 bucks a kit. I also grab great vinyl samples from Big Fish Audio. Anyway now I've overwritten and I hope haven't undermined what you already know about the TD-50. It is an extremely cool and the most advanced drum synthesizer on the market. It's not a sampler. But you already have a handle on that. The acoustic kits sound like great Roland V drums as you'd expect from the latest model. And the hybrid electronic kits, Roland always made the top drum machines and synths, should be considered unique percussion instruments. These and the kits you design yourself are built into a phenomenal brain and triggering system.

I'm biased, I love it and I play it a lot and I've defended it from the haters although that's me being sort of an ass. I am, however, astounded at the incredible amount of time spent and accumulation of generally faulty information gathered by a few people hell bent on convincing one not to get the TD-50. They seem like cool guys though and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

We are all investing lots of money and time on these things and as drummers some part of your heart goes into it, so I hope you are happy with TD-50 if you get it and if not just enjoy your TD-9 which is a fantastic feeling and sounding V kit.

Thank You so much for your remarks about the positive qualities of the TD-50. I've been dying to get a serious, professional level e-kit for years. I did a lot of research and played hard on the TD-50 kit at GC several times over the last year. Putting it through its paces each time. I joined this group. I sent messages and asked questions to more experienced e-kit players. Then I started piecing together an e-kit over the last couple of months. I found a TD-50 Digital Snare and Cymbal Upgrade. I bought three PD-128's. I bought the KD-A22 conversion kit. I also bought a VH-13 Hi Hat. I bought a set of mesh heads in case I wanted to convert some of the other acoustic shells from my old Gretsch kit I pilfered for the bass drum.

I was doing more research this last week and started to get buyers remorse about the TD-50. It seems like everybody's raving about the Mimic or the new Gewa and slamming the Roland. I'm not sure if spending so much time and money piecing together what I thought would be a fully professional killer rig was a great idea. The digital upgrade is still unopened in the box and I could resale it. I could sock away the money and wait till the end of summer for the Gewa module (I don't want to wait that long) or I could get the Mimic. Your comments gave me hope. All the naysayers are talking about layering, latency with VST and other processes I'm not completely familiar with. I didn't think that I would have much luck in dialing in the sounds on the TD-50 I thought were over processed or adding ones I really wanted. Now that I know that there is a lot more flexibility in the architecture of the module, that there are expansion packs, and that the TD-50 can access VST's like Toontrack and Steven Slate I think I may be alright.

Still, I'm a little unnerved after reading a lot of these comments and needing a little encouragement. I want to be excited, not bummed that I made a poor decision and threw my money away. Your remarks and observations gave me hope that I may still be on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by percussivewoman View Post

Thank You so much for your remarks about the positive qualities of the TD-50. I've been dying to get a serious, professional level e-kit for years. I did a lot of research and played hard on the TD-50 kit at GC several times over the last year. Putting it through its paces each time. I joined this group. I sent messages and asked questions to more experienced e-kit players. Then I started piecing together an e-kit over the last couple of months. I found a TD-50 Digital Snare and Cymbal Upgrade. I bought three PD-128's. I bought the KD-A22 conversion kit. I also bought a VH-13 Hi Hat. I bought a set of mesh heads in case I wanted to convert some of the other acoustic shells from my old Gretsch kit I pilfered for the bass drum.

I was doing more research this last week and started to get buyers remorse about the TD-50. It seems like everybody's raving about the Mimic or the new Gewa and slamming the Roland. I'm not sure if spending so much time and money piecing together what I thought would be a fully professional killer rig was a great idea. The digital upgrade is still unopened in the box and I could resale it. I could sock away the money and wait till the end of summer for the Gewa module (I don't want to wait that long) or I could get the Mimic. Your comments gave me hope. All the naysayers are talking about layering, latency with VST and other processes I'm not completely familiar with. I didn't think that I would have much luck in dialing in the sounds on the TD-50 I thought were over processed or adding ones I really wanted. Now that I know that there is a lot more flexibility in the architecture of the module, that there are expansion packs, and that the TD-50 can access VST's like Toontrack and Steven Slate I think I may be alright.

Still, I'm a little unnerved after reading a lot of these comments and needing a little encouragement. I want to be excited, not bummed that I made a poor decision and threw my money away. Your remarks and observations gave me hope that I may still be on the right track.
            Sounds like a great rig. The digital ride and snare are fantastic and unique to the TD-50 and you can always sell the digital upgrade pack and get the Mimic + ATV snare and CY-15 RD, all your other pads will work with Mimic. A lot of raving about the Mimic came before it was actually released and definitely before SSD5 became available for $150 as a VST plug in.

Latency isn't an issue anymore if you have a new computer and sound card and Ableton LIVE 10. I understand that is a lot of new, expensive gear and I'm using an Apollo X which outputs a VST in .96 ms. Triggering VST's with a TD-50 is excellent if you set your module to Vendor mode while using USB Midi. Set TD-50 as your audio interface input. You can then use the TD-50 driver to offset any additional latency on desired VST instruments much like Pro Tools midi beat clock would. There are good articles on calculating midi latency in samples if you google Pro Tools Midi Beat Clock. As I mentioned I trigger SSD5 without additional latency and with great feel. I am triggering Superior Drummer at 96 kHz with a 64 sample buffer and Slate at 48 kHz with a 32 sample buffer. So the option is there for triggering VST's much like a module. People are very often referring to VST latency as they experience triggering with a laptop and a 128 sample buffer and without delay compensation and low latency monitoring.

But all this said sounds like you just want to play so I'd set that thing up asap and enjoy the hell out of it. If you get bored put your digital pack up for sale and use it until the day someone comes to buy it, re-box it and then get the Mimic. If DW comes along and makes us all swoon you won't be alone but who knows and at what price tag. Gewa will be be confined to only DW drum sounds it would seem, no classic vintage or electronic. I'm having more fun now making TD-50 kits, as I mentioned, using VEX kits and layering my own samples or doubling up the onboard sounds. Getting bored with "real drum sounds" and more into dynamic playing (especially with the digital upgrade pads) with awesome processed (yes processed!) sounds, combining TR-808 Roland drum kits on rims etc. You have the most advanced triggering system out there. There is a brand new processor inside the TD-50 it is not the same trigger as the TD-30 by a long shot especially with the digital pads.

Sampled kits can get tedious imo without articulate tom rimshots, super articulate snare rimshots, positional sensing, 3 zone pads and a variety of cymbal playing surfaces on bow tip as well as crash edge. Be excited at least for the next 2 years You've got one of the top 3 modules in the world and kick ass triggers.
            Last edited by Howstamychi; 12-29-18, 07:50 PM. Reason: Typo's and additional info.

Comment

Latency isn't an issue anymore if you have a new computer and sound card and Ableton LIVE 10. I understand that is a lot of new, expensive gear and I'm using an Apollo X which outputs a VST in .96 ms.
              Apollo X? I'm seriously jealous!

Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
                Apollo X? I'm seriously jealous!
                I am very happy with the Apollo x6. The ATV's look streamlined and beautiful and the module sounds great every time I see a demo. Are you psyched?

Comment

I am very happy with the Apollo x6. The ATV's look streamlined and beautiful and the module sounds great every time I see a demo. Are you psyched?
                  Yes the aDrums are great. I've been mostly DIY for the past 20 years so these are my first "no tweaking required" edrums.
                  Last edited by molson; 12-30-18, 11:40 AM.
                  Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Working...
                  X