Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ē The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

TD50 - Feel the Love?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- "Usual latency people have between 6ms and 10ms with VST and computer with any roland module, you need to add the latency from the module + all external factor, computer, board, sound cards forget about the number on your sound cards you see that worth nothing on final round trip total, from module triggers to audio output, not internal numbers."

Yes I get all that. I'm using Ableton LIVE with the audio input disabled and only using the output on an Apollo X thunderbolt 3. I am direct monitoring from Apollo X. There is no roundtrip latency into the DAW because I am only dealing with the output time from the VST into the Apollo, .93 ms. I am at 96 kHz and a 64 buffer. I am in Ableton low latency monitoring mode so LIVE calculates all the latency including the 1 ms midi, as it must to later insure everything syncs when you mix or they would be out of business fast. They call it LIVE for a reason. There is a ms to samples converter and a latency compensator which you can use to calculate the amount of negative samples to get you to 0.00 latency. In my case .97 ms. or 93.12 samples rounded off to 93 samples. The sample rate conversion in 96,000 is 1 ms = 96 samples.

- "Module Latency number. (ex: Roland 3ms)"

Wrong. Again, Roland TD-50 is 2 ms. You are reading that same chart that has been going around and tests everything at a 0 scan time which is relatively worthless. Pads won't work properly unless you respect their scan time within a ms.

- "Trigger settings: scan time usually adds 2-3 ms to the current module latency."

Sometimes as much as 7 ms.

- "MIDI transfer: a MIDI message takes about 1 ms."

Agreed.

- "Audio buffer size: at 48 kHz a 64-frame buffer adds 1.33 ms."

As I said I'm at 96 kHz. Latency is much lower at 96. So .93 ms.

- "Any audio/effect processing in DAW or later by a PA add latency."

Can i say "Duh" affectionately? And if you have DSP on your Audio Interface like a UA, you can use native plug-ins without adding latency. It is the future after all.

- "AD/DA conversion: <1 ms."

Agreed but I am not dealing with this in my configuration.

- "Where do you know 5 to 7 ms scan time?"

It's stated by one of the Mimic developers on this forum, do a search.

- "The scan time is set according to the pad construction quality, triggers add latency, some are 1.5ms, others, 2.4ms, acoustic triggers can get up to 3.5MS. MIMIC latency is 3ms same as Roland with scan set to 1. add detect time to 2ms to mimic you got 4MS total, if set to 3, you get 5ms total, it's been tested as fact."

Sigh. Let's just say Roland is 2 ms and Mimic is 5 ms.

- "Roland did nothing new on latency, it's all the same since td-30\td11\15\25 TD-50 is adding nothing new in this regard."

I can't speak for earlier TD modules. Again, scan time for all pads on the TD-50 is 2 ms, 2.8 in most cases on the Kick.

- "It does not works the same, not the same engine, many things are not available on the sdd5 which are in MIMIC, and either respond the same, MIMIC have built algo inside and many things the computer do not available, the hihat inside mimic is one example, it will never play and respond the same."

Probably, and that depends largely on your high hat trigger. The VH 12 & 13 high hat plays pretty damn good with SSD5 and Roland TD-50, can't imagine it getting much better. I agree there will be differences but I am loving SSD5 and triggering it beautifully.

- "And the hihat do not perform well and either smooth, transition, extra tight to close to 1/4 open it's clunky, there is abrupt transition on all toontrack hihat in most case. That one of the reason people have always better performance inside module then midi and vst..."

Newer Toontrack SDX packs, and there will be unending updates, have good high hat transitions, The high hat in SD3 has more articulations than it needs for an e drummer. This is adjustable. The only glitch is open HH setting 5 which is definitely abrupt. Disable it and your open high hat sound is slightly touching, as it does in acoustic drumming life. I never have my high hat open so wide there is an actual cymbal ping without the edges touching. This is a setting for programmers, not players.

"...the supports on VST is a big mess, people like compact and fast opening system without all harsh of million of setup, loading time, live is not even a discussion."

Loading time is a non issue. Loads in seconds. Not a mess at all, that's my point. Unless you are really stuck back in 2016 and not if you use native MAC ISIO drivers, a 2017 + Mac and Superior Drummer 3 or SSD5 both made within a year and a half. And you do need a fast Audio Interface. But this is all very doable and amazingly cool especially if you are into recording with other software in real time and not just jamming to headphones off your module. If you are playing live on an e drum set up good luck and hats off to you, I would theoretically take my pick of module and leave the computer at home. I leave my e drums at home and take out my acoustic kit playing live.

- "Alan is doing this since early days, He is not sharing your same thought, but complete opposite, he worked deep on it, the ceiling is low with TD-50 compare to his previous predecessor flagship, he stated few time already on public, without sharing what he said to me in PM."

You may be confusing what is actually a positive with a negative. Hard to work with but getting better sound from a superior engine than it's predecessors is good. Alan did say it was difficult to work on the TD-50 and yet he made two fantastic packages, Foundations and Studio X. I hope he makes more. Whatever was said in private is private, mentioning a PM at all is bad form.

Comment

thebaronofsd,

not what I said at all. I actually played the TD50 on multiple occasions before the Roland demo. I had opportunity to play directly after the demo, with all the mods in place. And to give it a fair shake, I played them afterwards. Nor did I say TD50 wasn't any good. For the money it doesn't cut the mustard "FOR ME", not shape no form, no how. I'd agree that Tru-tracs are weak for my taste, but they are a playing surface, not an interface! And the conclusion for me didn't come until after hearing and playing MimicPro. My interjections are unbiased. I want what sounds great and feels great. I don't much care who makes it! I'm not a "fan"atic for anyone, but MimicPro, is the champ at this time, "FOR ME".

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post

Wrong. Again, Roland TD-50 is 2 ms. You are reading that same chart that has been going around and tests everything at a 0 scan time which is relatively worthless. Pads won't work properly unless you respect their scan time within a ms. It's stated by one of the Mimic developers on this forum, do a search.
        Micheal shack said to me it's 3MS latency the Td-50, same as previous td-30 etc... Same testing as the charts, from Allan with scan set to lowest, both are not lying. You searched before the release on early development post on mimic, he was talking on total latency (not the scan), and was stated approx at that time before release, after It's been tested physically, the latency with scan set to 1 is 3ms, you can't set it in mimic to 0, it's one the minimal, either Yamaha it's not available at all to change it. Setting to appropriate playing on MIMIC depend on triggers, scan set to 2MS works with all ATV for instead, so you are getting 4MS total. The hole discussion on latency is useless on module under 5ms no one will see difference, but on vst with x setup there is, totally different ball game, trow the number you want, it won't make difference, it's not stable solution on and off for everyone.

Probably, and that depends largely on your high hat trigger. The VH 12 & 13 high hat plays pretty damn good with SSD5 and Roland TD-50, can't imagine it getting much better. I agree there will be differences but I am loving SSD5 and triggering it beautifully.
        it's the engine works differently, it's different architecture, Developer said it already, you are losing the internal algo does not works like MIDI, mimic only sharing the sound, nothing else from ssd5 computer version.

You may be confusing what is actually a positive with a negative. Hard to work with but getting better sound from a superior engine than it's predecessors is good. Alan did say it was difficult to work on the TD-50 and yet he made two fantastic packages, Foundations and Studio X. I hope he makes more. Whatever was said in private is private, mentioning a PM at all is bad form.
        Too much limited acoustic instruments to "reach others sound palette" and does not have the sound fidelity\ capacity\ strength of any vst sound. I tested myself you can't change apple to bananas.

Edrum live is growing, it's depend how you see things, there is many people use edrum live now, I have seen from various brand.
        Last edited by Chris K; 12-12-18, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Six View Post
          thebaronofsd,

not what I said at all. I actually played the TD50 on multiple occasions before the Roland demo. I had opportunity to play directly after the demo, with all the mods in place. And to give it a fair shake, I played them afterwards. Nor did I say TD50 wasn't any good. For the money it doesn't cut the mustard "FOR ME", not shape no form, no how. I'd agree that Tru-tracs are weak for my taste, but they are a playing surface, not an interface! And the conclusion for me didn't come until after hearing and playing MimicPro. My interjections are unbiased. I want what sounds great and feels great. I don't much care who makes it! I'm not a "fan"atic for anyone, but MimicPro, is the champ at this time, "FOR ME".
          Well none of this was stated and your initial opinion, if you read it again, seems super limited. Please do add all the info you have as folks do read this with the thought of dropping 3K or more on something. More info is better, right?
          TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

I have had the TD50,and currently have the Mimic,S3 and SSD5. The TD50 absolutely machine guns if you play 16th notes on closed hi hats. It also machine guns on toms,especially floor toms. They have used the transient designer in the presets to lower the attack,to try and downplay the machine gunning. Transient designers are usually used in drum production to increase the attack and make drums pop out of the mix. As far as the sound of the TD50,that is subjective. i don't like it myself and editing won't make it sound like a sample library or well recorded real drum kit.

Superior 3 is great but I cannot get smooth hi hat from extra tight to closed because they sample too much of a difference in pedal pressure.This cannot be changed. The Mimic is much smoother for this. The Mimic/SSD5 library is great sounding for me and generally more useful than Superior 3 in mixes. S3 is a much larger room and can work great depending on what you are doing. I would not say it sounds better in any way than SSD5,just different. I find SSD5 is smoother in it's base samples for mixes.

I am glad the Mimic has a standard Midi port,so I don't have to worry about updating specific device drivers for MIDI that may not work at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
              I have had the TD50,and currently have the Mimic,S3 and SSD5. The TD50 absolutely machine guns if you play 16th notes on closed hi hats. It also machine guns on toms,especially floor toms. They have used the transient designer in the presets to lower the attack,to try and downplay the machine gunning. Transient designers are usually used in drum production to increase the attack and make drums pop out of the mix. As far as the sound of the TD50,that is subjective. i don't like it myself and editing won't make it sound like a sample library or well recorded real drum kit.

Superior 3 is great but I cannot get smooth hi hat from extra tight to closed because they sample too much of a difference in pedal pressure.This cannot be changed. The Mimic is much smoother for this. The Mimic/SSD5 library is great sounding for me and generally more useful than Superior 3 in mixes. S3 is a much larger room and can work great depending on what you are doing. I would not say it sounds better in any way than SSD5,just different. I find SSD5 is smoother in it's base samples for mixes.

I am glad the Mimic has a standard Midi port,so I don't have to worry about updating specific device drivers for MIDI that may not work at some point.
              TD-50 does not "absolutely machine gun" unless you are absolutely a clunky player. I play 32nd notes on the HH and with varying degrees of pressure on the pedal, especially on the lighter high hats Alan created for Studio X in VEX, and I get great results.

"They have used the transient designer in the presets to lower the attack,to try and downplay the machine gunning. Transient designers are usually used in drum production to increase the attack and make drums pop out of the mix."

=
              B.S. There is a hell of a lot more going on than that. The High Res MIDI triggering engine in TD-50 allows you to go beyond 0-127 resolution/range, so there's more dynamics/steps in between. And the new drum sounds have been recorded at 192kHz, not 44.1 kHz. The way the original sound data is then layered, treated and unified to become fully editable, combinable and finally triggerable at the lowest latency possible is proprietary to Roland TD-50. So if you're machine gunning it's either you're pad settings or your playing. Not suggesting you aren't a world class drummer but something's up.

I'm sorry you can't get a smooth transition with the high hat settings in SD3, I can. Again something's up.

Machine gunning is a non issue in SD3 as there are settings in hit variation like "randomize notes", "use adjacent layers" and "velocity to volume".

Even if Roland pads or drum-tec pads did machine gun for the average user who can't or won't adjust the settings in the TD-50 module there still would be no current alternative triggering system (pads and brain) with rimshots, side stick, subtle ride mute, mesh heads (I have the 3-ply from drum-tec sorry Roland) and traditional 2 way and now 3 way positional sensing. An unparalleled playing experience sonically and dynamically. You can play an articulate drum solo on the tom rims/rim shots alone with TD-50 in SD3 but when also combining the 3 zone ride and snare while stacking assignable layers to snare center, mid-center and rim...

Mimic has a solid head sound w/o positional sensing and rim clicks that can fire off the edge of the main head if you do not set your pad parameters extremely well. Cymbals have no Bow tip. Tru trac pads are horrendous and compromise the shell of an acoustic drum. The Mimic Pro sounds great so does SSD5 but can't compare to SD3. All purpose sounds yes, good solid sounds. Good for mixing.

We won't go into the 6 way sensing of the 14" snare pad and advanced digital 3 way sensing of the 18" ride as they play native to the TD-50.

Both the Mimic and TD-50 have standard midi ports because they are both excellent pro pieces of gear. USB has a faster midi connection and becoming it's own USB audio interface allows the TD-50 module the flexibility of a midi offset at it's source with the driver. I won't go into the recording flexibility USB audio gives you. An orangoutang can install a Roland midi driver and they are constantly updated, not outdated, to give you enhanced performance. Stick with 5 pin midi if you are afraid of drivers by all means.
              Last edited by Howstamychi; 12-13-18, 01:06 AM.

Comment

TD-50 does not "absolutely machine gun" unless you are absolutely a clunky player. I play 32nd notes on the HH and with varying degrees of pressure on the pedal, especially on the lighter high hats Alan created for Studio X in VEX, and I get great results.

"They have used the transient designer in the presets to lower the attack,to try and downplay the machine gunning. Transient designers are usually used in drum production to increase the attack and make drums pop out of the mix."

=
                B.S. There is a hell of a lot more going on than that. The High Res MIDI triggering engine in TD-50 allows you to go beyond 0-127 resolution/range, so there's more dynamics/steps in between. And the new drum sounds have been recorded at 192kHz, not 44.1 kHz. The way the original sound data is then layered, treated and unified to become fully editable, combinable and finally triggerable at the lowest latency possible is proprietary to Roland TD-50. So if you're machine gunning it's either you're pad settings or your playing. Not suggesting you aren't a world class drummer but something's up.

I'm sorry you can't get a smooth transition with the high hat settings in SD3, I can. Again something's up.

Machine gunning is a non issue in SD3 as there are settings in hit variation like "randomize notes", "use adjacent layers" and "velocity to volume".

Even if Roland pads or drum-tec pads did machine gun for the average user who can't or won't adjust the settings in the TD-50 module there still would be no current alternative triggering system (pads and brain) with rimshots, side stick, subtle ride mute, mesh heads (I have the 3-ply from drum-tec sorry Roland) and traditional 2 way and now 3 way positional sensing. An unparalleled playing experience sonically and dynamically. You can play an articulate drum solo on the tom rims/rim shots alone with TD-50 in SD3 but when also combining the 3 zone ride and snare while stacking assignable layers to snare center, mid-center and rim...

Mimic has a solid head sound w/o positional sensing and rim clicks that can fire off the edge of the main head if you do not set your pad parameters extremely well. Cymbals have no shank tip. Tru trac pads are horrendous and compromise the shell of an acoustic drum. The Mimic Pro sounds great so does SSD5 but can't compare to SD3. All purpose sounds yes, good solid sounds. Good for mixing.

We won't go into the 6 way sensing of the 14" snare pad and advanced digital 3 way sensing of the 18" ride as they play native to the TD-50.

Both the Mimic and TD-50 have standard midi ports because they are both excellent pro pieces of gear. USB has a faster midi connection and becoming it's own USB audio interface allows the TD-50 module the flexibility of a midi offset at it's source with the driver. I won't go into the recording flexibility USB audio gives you. An orangoutang can install a Roland midi driver and they are constantly updated, not outdated, to give you enhanced performance. Stick with 5 pin midi if you are afraid of drivers by all means.
                Can you post an example of the closed hi hat on the TD50 and the Jarrah floor tom playing 16th notes that are not too fast? At a maintained velocity ,they will machine gun. I have a recording of this somewhere that I can post.

Why would recording at 192 matter if the playback is at 44.1? Also,there are major recording engineers that work at 44.12 or 48k. This is highly misunderstood by musicians that things need to be higher than 44.1. 20.5 khz is most likely above everyone's hearing range ,especially drummers. There was a theory that it could benefit lesser converter designs because of aliasing filters.

The TD50 sounds are not great sounding in my opinion and the room mics in the instruments section are very poor sounding. This may be due to them breaking up the files for their modeling. I can't imagine a pro studio producing results like that. I am almost certain the the TD50 memory is much smaller than you imagine and I do not hear much variation in the sound with their modeling compared to a sample library.

As far as the hi hat in SD3,it is specifically the extra tight to closed. They have always done an extreme difference in foot pressure for this and then for some reason put in multiple open sounds that are almost identical. As I said,you cannot change this.

Just to clarify,I have run many mesh pads with the Mimic on snare and there are no issues such as random rim clicks. Not sure how you found that. It also has rim,rimshot with a different sample,and head. The Mimic can work very well on default presets with Roland pads. I have sent ATV presets for their pads as well and they are excellent. I spent less than 5 minutes on each one. I do agree that the Tru trac heads are not great.

I am not sure why you think SSD5 does not compare to SD3. SD3 is a bigger room with more mics.I don't personally love the drums and tuning on Superior drummer 3,but that is my taste. I think it sounds different but not better than SSD5. I have spent a lot of time recording acoustic drums and SSD5 is very well tuned and recorded. It almost sounds processed but they told me at NAMM it is not at all. They had an excellent room and excellent mic placement.

As far as USB audio,I would want to have to change my audio card in Pro Tools to a module to put down drum tracks. I would usually just use a VST and record MIDI..or use the 14 outs on the Mimic.

Comment

There is a hell of a lot more going on than that. The High Res MIDI triggering engine in TD-50 allows you to go beyond 0-127 resolution/range, so there's more dynamics/steps in between. And the new drum sounds have been recorded at 192kHz, not 44.1 kHz. The way the original sound data is then layered, treated and unified to become fully editable, combinable and finally triggerable at the lowest latency possible is proprietary to Roland TD-50. So if you're machine gunning it's either you're pad settings or your playing. Not suggesting you aren't a world class drummer but something's up.

These was stated from Alan from Vex doing sound since very early TD era.
                  "With the limited sounds, Iím finding it hard to create a third pack" "The wav imports are not usable for drums more for percussion\fx\loop, it's basically a spd-sx inside" "TD-50 is more for electronic sound"

How it can goes higher then 127 if the vst are not supported? MIMIC can go up to near 4000 dynamic\velocity step not 1-127 inside mimic, these things no one notice them for most people, and no one ever talk about it they are useless for many. SSD library have not been recorded at 44.1KHZ ask who record it.

The 192KHz things is worthless for many, especially for a synth engine which everything is done on the DSP then the core limited amount of sample in td-50, the DSP manipulation are only available on the acoustic sound, not all sound in the module. Older ezdrummer sound all better then td-50 and more realistic even without the bow tips non existent, but a single ezdrummer kit would take the hole memory and you would stuck with one kit on the module.

Roland is a closed architecture, unlike newer which evolve with new system firmware\feature and new sound library. TD-50 have been rushed to the market on development, even stated from one member of Roland, when you have 2 hihat and 2 ride in a module, that tell everything. At Roland convention they even stated, they would not able to imports 1 sound sample before td-50 because the latency would go higher, that is a non sens in 2018, they even had to remove lots of feature from TD-30 to implement minor things, there is no more ability to trigs TD-50 sound via midi to expand the triggers platform, you are limited to their input triggers this is only one example what have been removed.

Position sensing and latency have been the same since age, Position sensing is at very last terminal phase of patents, which will be available to anyone to implement very soon. I see lots of praise of position sensing from limited people, but see on average users, Rock\Alternative\Heavy which are the main music style played in the world, most play center and rims, position sensing on song get lost in most case, especially on Roland sound, unless you play jazz \quiet playing soloing can be cool, but as main performance, they are not as essential as the real core sound engine, and you quickly forget position sensing.

Digital triggers are nice, these require maintenance at long term and any defect you will need to send to Roland, paying parts, shipping, labor, at your full cost, it's clever from their parts, business same as getting new sound after 5-7 years with a new module release. The sensors\cone on Roland are not available to buy separately and are not even standard size, these will eventually need to be changed all of them at once, only parts on cone are around 120$ USD excluding sensors charge, that is without shipping and labor charge at your cost. I saw several defective digital snare, ride, not triggering, capacitive not working, no muting, bad point dynamic in specific area on ride, there is no more ability to repair them easily like before, that add already to expensive synth setup, Most triggers can fail at long term usage, especially if you are playing these daily 2-3 hours a day. My vh11 broke after 1 full time\days years of daily usage time consuming, on the edge switch. More complex triggers means more problematic and expensive, cpu\pcb on a triggers from countless hitting device to start off is risky and costly, basic pcb can fail with basic triggers on countless vibration.

Ps: TD-50 have been released december 2016, mimic july 2017.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 12-13-18, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

I never experienced machine gunning on the TD-50. You have to play with no feel and hit the hi-hat at a consistent velocity to create machine gun sound. Unless your playing like a robot, machine gunning is a non factor on the TD-50.
                    ATV aDrums, aD5, Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post

I never experienced machine gunning on the TD-50. You have to play with no feel and hit the hi-hat at a consistent velocity to create machine gun sound. Unless your playing like a robot, machine gunning is a non factor on the TD-50.
                      some interpret machine gunning as repeated sound with faster speed and or at velocity range, that make the ears to notice it's electronic drum, slow playing style, there won't be much noticeable things, these things appears mostly on module that use very low sample pool and non existent of round robin and with tighter sound attack, the snare on TD-50 there is no such of machine gunning in general but with the draw back of the initial attack of the sound and base natural sound is mostly gone, the most complain on TD-50 is the snare sound . A real brady jarrah snare sound about like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbL90HAVak (it's a brady recorded in the studio for td-50) but in Roland with the synth engine, all things can get squashed easily, you loose the natural sound and base authenticity of the sound in most case, I never heard any brady jarrah snare like the one on Roland.

TD-50 is a nice modeling device to create unique Roland sound, but I would not use it replicate real drum sound, I would use td-30 before td-50. I tried both, and td-30 was much more joyful to play even if it sounded more synthetic.
                      Last edited by Chris K; 12-13-18, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

some interpret machine gunning as repeated sound with faster speed and or at velocity range, that make the ears to notice it's electronic drum, slow playing style, there won't be much noticeable things, these things appears mostly on module that use very low sample pool and non existent of round robin and with tighter sound attack, the snare on TD-50 there is no such of machine gunning in general but with the draw back of the initial attack of the sound and base natural sound is mostly gone, the most complain on TD-50 is the snare sound . A real brady jarrah snare sound about like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbL90HAVak (it's a brady recorded in the studio for td-50) but in Roland with the synth engine, all things can get squashed easily, you loose the natural sound and base authenticity of the sound in most case, I never heard any brady jarrah snare like the one on Roland.

TD-50 is a nice modeling device to create unique Roland sound, but I would not use it replicate real drum sound, I would use td-30 before td-50. I tried both, and td-30 was much more joyful to play even if it sounded more synthetic.
                        Your comment is purely based on personal preference and the desired sound you wish to hear coming from a drum module. There is nothing wrong with this, but that's all it is, your personal preference and opinion. It has no bearing on the abilities of the TD-50 and how it performs overall as a drum module and the playing experience it provides. I, like many others have enjoyed the sounds and playability of the TD-50. I think this continuous back and forth bickering on on how the Mimic Pro is so superior to all other modules is ridiculous. A lot of us are getting tired of hearing Mimic owners shoot down the TD-50 as being inferior. Being a Mimic owner myself I can honestly say that there are plenty of short comings to the Mimic and it has plenty of room to grow before I would ever disregard the TD-50 as a legitimate contender to it.

BTW, the topic of this thread is "TD-50 Feel The Love" and the OP asked "Anyone else out there got positive experience to share?"
                        ATV aDrums, aD5, Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Your comment is purely based on personal preference and the desired sound you wish to hear coming from a drum module. There is nothing wrong with this, but that's all it is, your personal preference and opinion. It has no bearing on the abilities of the TD-50 and how it performs overall as a drum module and the playing experience it provides. I, like many others have enjoyed the sounds and playability of the TD-50. I think this continuous back and forth bickering on on how the Mimic Pro is so superior to all other modules is ridiculous. A lot of us are getting tired of hearing Mimic owners shoot down the TD-50 as being inferior. Being a Mimic owner myself I can honestly say that there are plenty of short comings to the Mimic and it has plenty of room to grow before I would ever disregard the TD-50 as a legitimate contender to it.
                          Did I ever said TD-50 is inferior? I only said it does not sound as "real native drum recorded" how it's designed, compare to others module, the module is limited for future expanding like newer model generation, the rest is your own perception from what you read, I own 3 modules btw.
                          Last edited by Chris K; 12-13-18, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Did I ever said TD-50 is inferior? I only said it does not sound as "real native drum recorded" how it's designed, compare to others module, the module is limited for future expanding like newer model generation, the rest is your own perception from what you read, I own 3 modules btw.
                            You did not say it was inferior but that is the overall connotation given by many. I apologize if you took it personally.

As for future expansion of the Mimic, I would be happy to have proper drumstick bow articulations for the crashes, rimshots for the toms, percussion sounds and Slate finding that missing 12" Reference Pure Tom.
                            Last edited by Chance27; 12-13-18, 03:27 PM.

Comment

You did not say it was inferior but that is the overall connotation given by many. I apologize if you took it personally.

As for future expansion of the Mimic, I would be happy just to have proper drumstick bow articulations for the crashes, rimshots for the toms, percussion sounds and Slate finding that missing 12" Reference Pure Tom.
                              text can be interpreted in different way as discussion or whatever how it's read, most edrum are fun to play, and have it's own things, but also have all it's own limitation some more then others etc... I sent many things before in td-30 era, to few people on Roland supports, but most of things never got implemented on the sound engine and they replyed to me would be expensive to do etc..that would have been a real blast.
                              Last edited by Chris K; 12-13-18, 03:48 PM.

Comment

These was stated from Alan from Vex doing sound since very early TD era.
                                "With the limited sounds, Iím finding it hard to create a third pack" "The wav imports are not usable for drums more for percussion\fx\loop, it's basically a spd-sx inside" "TD-50 is more for electronic sound"
                                To clarify, I was talking about creating beyond 150 kits. When you have only limited good choices of default sounds to work with, you start running out of combination layers that are unique. Keep in mind I'm also talking about internal sounds that are handled differently by the engine than externally loaded samples; which are not handled the same way.

Also, I never said that second quote... at least, not word for word, or in that manner. I did say sample imports are better for one-shot-friendly sounds, like a BD, RD, etc. This is not to say that sample imports cannot be utilized as "flavor" through layering with internal instruments. That's all fine and dandy; but you will still get that one-shot impact.
                                Alan
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X