Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ē The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

TD50 - Feel the Love?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD50 - Feel the Love?

Well.... having recently upgraded to the TD50 and being VERY disappointed originally... I felt like I wanted to share the love!!!

Out of the box, in my opinion, the TD50 is rather disappointing. Whilst the digital snare and ride are great, the factory sounds are incredibly poor. BUT.... I have to say having spent the past few weeks "tweaking", I am now 100% happy with my (expensive) new toy. I have upgraded to software version 1.07 and - best of all - added VExpressions magnificent "Foundations" and "Studio X" expansion packs.

I have now gigged this set up extensively and absolutely LOVE it!! Anyone else out there got positive experience to share?
    :confused:

Glad to hear you love the TD-50! I've had mine for over a year now and I'm just starting to love it but I also had a lot of problems that the 1.07 update has fixed. It's been a long bitter sweet relationship but I am glad I stuck with it. I have also purchased both Vex packs and it helps a lot with the sound but one day I hope to really dig deep and see what this module is capable of. Triggering is off the hook with the new snare and ride! None better on the market
    Modules:Roland TD-50 VEX'ed, Mac Pro running SD3,SD2 & Ez Drummer2
    Triggers:PD140DS Mapex Meridian Maple/Yamaha Custom Birch Conversion
    Cymbals: VH-13mg, CY-5, CY-8, CY-12R, 2 CY-13R, CY-14 and CY18DR

Comment

Loving my TD-50KV! I am really enjoying the digital ride and snare, they are so dynamic and sensitive. I have built 5 really nice kits that will work for just about any type of genre of music. I am also really enjoying using my TD-50 with SD3, especially after the 3.1 update. Last week I purchased the new EZX UK Pop pack and I am having so much fun with it and the TD-50.
      ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Glad you're back in love with your module, gjmunro; and glad we could help a little!
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I am in feeling the same lately. I was beginning to think that I made a mistake with the TD50 and feeling that the Mimic would solve all of my problems.

I purchased the VEX Studio kits and sort of had an epiphany after spending time with really digging into the parameters of the VEX kits. If the VEX kits can sound good using the same parameters I have access to, then why canít I create a kit that I really like? I have been obsessing over my sound and have finally got to the point where I can hear the parameters that I like or dislike about the sound. After hours and hours, days and days, Iím finally getting it.

One thing that Iím still struggling to get a handle on is the order of operations. I have found that the flow of editing the module is by far the hardest part. For example, if you take any instrument and then edit the transient and EQ before you go deep into the shell depth, tuning and multitude of other things you can tweak, it really seems to change my approach.

Iím really interested in hearing what order you guys work in to find your sound?

Comment

I'm feeling it... I have the mimic also but continue to really struggle getting the snare dialed in using a PD128S. I'll get it setup well on one preset (snare, rim and rimshot triggering) then switch to another kit/snare and I don't have the same playability... rim triggering on hard hits where it didn't before, uneven triggering across the head where it was good before... very frustrating. At this point, I might as well do a factory reset and start all over from scratch. Another thing I've done is midi into it from the TD50 and run the output into the mix in on the TD50, adjust faders to which kit/module I want to use.

The TD50 digital pads IMO crush the playability of the mimic. I've sampled one of the mimic tom sets into the TD50 (medium and hard hits layered) and use those primarily as my go-to kit for most songs. Another thing I struggle with the mimic is using different sounds on the crashes. On one crash, I have a china on the bow zone but can't get a strong enough velocity hit from it like I can doing the same thing on the TD50. Raising the velocity/volume parameters for the bow doesn't help.

Anyway, those are my struggles with the mimic and why I continue to gig with the 50. I'm temped to buy the AVT snare but am having a hard time justifying the purchase.

This is not a mimic bash, others are having great success with it and it does sound awesome. For me, the TD50 just works with less fuss and that's why I continue to gig with it.
            Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
              ...The TD50 digital pads IMO crush the playability of the mimic...
              I really wish the DS would work with the Mimic... and DR for that matter. These two pads make the 50. Pearl should highly consider reverse engineering these pads for Mimic v2. I know that's a long shot, but those two pads are the best thing to hit the market in years.
              Alan

Comment

The TD50 digital pads IMO crush the playability of the mimic.
                Playability is triggers hardware for 90% triggers\mesh head type\construction, buy atv snare\ 18 ride and will be near the same level of Digital, your pd128, is a 12" smaller, with center piezo cone, 2 ply, with hotspot, and the dynamic is less then the atv right on the start, hitting near center\center will get higher signal all the time with center sensor with normal hit, 12" is even more noticeable, then 14", even worst if your head is not tension rights, trigs the same with atv snare, the signal on normal hit will be less increased, hence why no hotpost with atv and better dynamic range. The ride is not comparable with the cy15\13, more sensitive, sensitive bell and larger surface 360 degree, 3 people that bought atv and sell their digital pack, told me same thing, they get much better dynamic with atv then pd128s\cy15, more sensitive and larger playability all around. You are comparing old dated Roland triggers to the latest ATV \ Digital ride triggers tech, there is considerable difference on both compare to old. You should not have these problem concerning mimic with v1.07.2 with proper triggers quality and setting.

Ps: Even a 14" sided trigger or center cone, 3 ply mesh will be better then a PD128s 12" 2 plys.
                Last edited by Chris K; 03-17-18, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I have my DIY snare triggering extremely well on the Mimic. I asked Mr Boo about making the digital pads work and it is a legal issue to even explore it. I also emailed Drew to see if they would consider allowing it. I didn't hear back of course.

My understanding is that the digital pad actually sends midi. It sounds like it could work on the Mimic.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                    I have my DIY snare triggering extremely well on the Mimic. I asked Mr Boo about making the digital pads work and it is a legal issue to even explore it. I also emailed Drew to see if they would consider allowing it. I didn't hear back of course.

My understanding is that the digital pad actually sends midi. It sounds like it could work on the Mimic.
                    Easy! Just create a midi interface accessory.
                    Alan

Comment

Not to thread jack, but I spent some quality time with my mimic last night, looked at a bunch of parameters that were causing my snare triggering problems. I'm closer to being happy with how it's working and I'm about 90% there... probably all I'm going to get out of it with the pd128s and cy15r. I was hesitant to VEX it until I got the playability better but just might make the leap! I just wish there were more percussion sounds.
                      Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                        I really wish the DS would work with the Mimic... and DR for that matter. These two pads make the 50. (snip) ...those two pads are the best thing to hit the market in years.
                        I realize part of what makes Roland's Digital Snare and Digital Ride so playable are new sensors and new triggering technology. However, a huge part of what makes these two pads so nice is their increased playing areas. That's a no brainer for electronic drum companies. What a novel idea: offer pads in real drum sizes. Why didn't we drummers think of this? (Yes, the friendly sarcasm is intended.)
                        Last edited by TangTheHump; 03-19-18, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Not to thread jack, but I spent some quality time with my mimic last night, looked at a bunch of parameters that were causing my snare triggering problems. I'm closer to being happy with how it's working and I'm about 90% there... probably all I'm going to get out of it with the pd128s and cy15r. I was hesitant to VEX it until I got the playability better but just might make the leap! I just wish there were more percussion sounds.
                          You can import percussion sounds. I imported some from the TD50. They are just one shot samples on Roland modules and play the same on the Mimic. I constantly ask them to do multi velocity percussion for the Mimic.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

You can import percussion sounds. I imported some from the TD50. They are just one shot samples on Roland modules and play the same on the Mimic. I constantly ask them to do multi velocity percussion for the Mimic.
                            Yep, I imported a tom set from the mimic into the 50.
                            Roland TD50KV, MIMIC Pro

Comment

I have always said I liked it from almost the beginning. I was tempted to perhaps trade it for the "other" popular module but really do not see a reason to in the end since it more then meets my needs. I suffer from Tinnitus and hyperacuses. ( A work in progress) I no longer play though headphones. Purchased a paid of Yorkville y5 powered monitors and had custom professional musicians hearing protection made. I can play in limited spurts and still find the sound very pleasing.
                              Last edited by Bobvan; 03-19-18, 01:50 PM.
                              Noble & Cooley a kit

Comment

Working...
                              X