Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

All of you "Pro" drummers - please gimme some suggestions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of you "Pro" drummers - please gimme some suggestions!!

I have the opportunity to be a drum tech at a major event in NYC next week... I will be assisting with ddrum3 and ddrum4 modules, setup, etc....
    I know lots about the modules, etc...but really have never been someone elses "tech" before...

Are there any tools, gear, etc. that I should have?? Lemme know - I don't want to be a bust for this guy....

I have lots of gear, tools, spare parts, etc...but I don't want to be over prepared dork boy either...

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik
    SEPdrums

Good point. Thanx....

Erik
    SEPdrums

Comment

You didn't really say what kind of event (professional demo/clinic, gig, etc.)...but if the stage is going to be wood and the drums will be near a loud bass cabinet make sure their is some type of rug/mat & padding available. Not only for the drums, but for underneath the bass rig too! . It may seem like overkill - but it could eliminate a lot of crosstalk issues...and if it is outdoors bring some type of "emergency" plastic drop cloth just in case of a sudden downpour...
      E-drums: TD-20, RT-5S triggers on snare/toms, KD-7s, VH12, CY-14Cs, CY-15R, Pintech splash.
      A-drums: Zickos (amber) w/ all Zildjians.

Comment

Well... It is a huge gig... at Madison Sq. Garden... KTU's "Miracle on 34th St." show... Big time stuff for a jeeter like me....thats why I ask about what to have available as far as tools, gear, etc..

Looks like this:

Some of the performers are: Enrique Iglesias, Alicia Keys, Craig David, Shaggy, Mariah Carey, Shakira, Mya, Blue Cantrell, Gloria Gaynor, Sugarhill Gang, Kevin Ceballo, Deborah Cox, Marc Anthony....donno who else....but everyone is being backed by a 54-piece orchestra...holy crapola...talk about a wild triggering setup if a complete symphony will be near the drummer...x-talk city...

The drummer will be using a ddrum3 and ddrum4 (which is identical to my setup).. I plan on bringing my modules, another ddrum4 off the shelf, extra triggers, pads, replacement parts, heads (thanks feef), cables, general tools...etc.. Don't have a 'scope - those suckers are big bucks.. will have to settle for a multimeter from Radio Shack...

What else?? Since it is a high caliber show, should I have professional carrying cases or the like...??

As an Engineer and with very good understanding of the modules, setup, etc - I will perform just fine (I friggin better)...just want to be prepared...this is a very cool gig...I have about a 95% chance of getting it....

Erik
        SEPdrums

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited December 05, 2001).]

Comment

Being a ff/emt,we have a little philosophy,It is prepare for the worst,hope for the best.overprepared dork boy?I don't think so.Bring whatever you can,in my opinion,if you need it and it's not there,THEN you look like a dork.
          I got a old dm5 I keep with me just in case my td10 dont fire up,unlong with extra cables,2 old pd5's,soldering gun,wire,piezo's,superglue.

2 things I found beyond helpful is a leatherman and a mini mag flashlight.hope this helps
          Bad karma

Comment

Duct Tape Lots of Duct Tape!!!!!!!

Comment

Spare cables, connectors and a soldering kit.
              Good luck.

Comment

With a gig like that, why take any chances?
                Bring everything!

Comment

Hire someone else to do it for 80% of what your getting and sit back and enjoy the show .

Hmmmm, I don't see anything about making the big buck for this gig. Yikes, 80% of 0 is....

Alfred E. Neuman
                  What, Me worry?
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Good one... No, not high paying...just good for the resume and a fun experience...

Thanks for all of the tips. I have ordered a new trap case, and a ton of gear to go inside... Any reason to justify buying new gear is fine with me

Erik
                    SEPdrums

Comment

Best to you Erik. Not sure how busy you'll be but think about keeping a journal during the gig. You can jot down those 'little things' that seem to appear just when you thought you had that base covered. Plus it might make some fun reading when you write your memoirs.

Have Fun,
                      -Marc.

Comment

Originally posted by sepdrums:
                        I have lots of gear, tools, spare parts, etc...but I don't want to be over prepared dork boy either...

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik
                        SEPdrums[/B]
                        Whats wrong with being an over prepared dork boy?????

Comment

Give Mariah Carey's titts a feel for me would ya.. AAARRRR

------------------
                          ~REDMAN~
                          ~REDMAN~

Comment

Originally posted by studioVjeff:
                            Duct Tape Lots of Duct Tape!!!!!!!
                            What about "gaffer's" tape. I heard from an australian that it was good too. He called it gaffa tape, though.

[This message has been edited by snared (edited December 06, 2001).]

Comment

If you have one of those nifty Leatherman multi-tools, bring it with you, as well as a fully charged electric screwdriver (with a spare battery, if you have one). If you don't have one of those Leatherman tools, buy one. Best investment I ever made.
                              Besides making sure the set and the bass amp are on seperate rugs see if there will be any plexiglas separators between the drums and the rest of the ensemble. If you can use them, use them, makes those classical musicians happy.

Stu

Oh yes, and most important of all: Whatever happens, DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by mcconaghy (edited December 06, 2001).]
                              "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Working...
                              X