Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those who have switched from a Roland module to the ATV aD5...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pumpal View Post
    Absolutely loving my aD5 after switching from the TD-15. Haven't regret at all though it needs some time to get used to and definetely needs dialing in the right trigger response and kits volume between the instruments.

Most of the missing functionality, like the missing music player and other tools - are perfectly replaced by adding a bluetooth adapter into the aux-in port and using my phone instead. Using it with my DIY set - basically Drum-Tec RF heads with Quartz cones (picture in my sign).
    That's great- I was fully expecting it to be a simple process to use the aux input with my iPhone, if I needed use a metronome app or anything else. I'd also consider using the aux in for my old Roland module if my two aD5 additional triggers are used, and I wanted to add some additional percussion like a cowbell, etc.
    ATV aD5, ATV Snare, Roland V-Drums, ATV & Roland Cymbals, Gibson Les Pauls & Marshall Amps

Comment

Originally posted by skhan007 View Post
      if my two aD5 additional triggers are used, and I wanted to add some additional percussion like a cowbell, etc.
      Mind you the two additional inputs (AUX1/2) are dual zone and it is possible to edit the instrument you are assigning to these inputs so that you have a percusion on the edge/rim zone .. i do have china/splash/cowbell on the rim of my tom4 - that's sufficient for my needs.
      ATV aD5, (Roland TD-15 for sale!)
      TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Mind you the two additional inputs (AUX1/2) are dual zone and it is possible to edit the instrument you are assigning to these inputs so that you have a percusion on the edge/rim zone .. i do have china/splash/cowbell on the rim of my tom4 - that's sufficient for my needs.
        Brilliant! Thank you. Looking forward to trying it out.
        ATV aD5, ATV Snare, Roland V-Drums, ATV & Roland Cymbals, Gibson Les Pauls & Marshall Amps

Comment

Multiple Roland modules over the years to 2Box Drumit 5 to aD5. Zero regrets.

Comment

yes aux 1 and 2 are dual zone.. but you can only choose 1 instrument.. you will have the rim and head sound of that chosen instrument ..
            aD5 is not as flexible as roland head/ rim (different sound selection) ATV could make sounds with 2 different samples on head / rim (and maybe that's a great idea for 'aux sounds' ) but as of yet.. not possible .. but aD5 is a great module, especially dynamically nevertheless ..
            kit pic and tracks TD20-diy Gronor drums Zilbian cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
              yes aux 1 and 2 are dual zone.. but you can only choose 1 instrument.. you will have the rim and head sound of that chosen instrument ..
              aD5 is not as flexible as roland head/ rim (different sound selection) ATV could make sounds with 2 different samples on head / rim (and maybe that's a great idea for 'aux sounds' ) but as of yet.. not possible .. but aD5 is a great module, especially dynamically nevertheless ..
              Got it. So, I could do a cymbal as a splash/china as one of the Aux trigger inputs? Or are you saying if I chose a splash, I'd get two different splash tones from that cymbal?

Comment

apparently it is possible .. see pumpal and walse's post below ..
                Last edited by Ericdrumz; 03-01-18, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skhan007 View Post

Got it. So, I could do a cymbal as a splash/china as one of the Aux trigger inputs? Or are you saying if I chose a splash, I'd get two different splash tones from that cymbal?
                  In Roland, you assign tones to the pad zones. In aD5 you assign instruments to the pad as a whole but can edit/copy the instruments. Each pad has number of zones. Then each instrument also has number of zones. You can choose freely the sound that plays on each zone of a given instrument. You can not assign directly different instrument/sound to the separate pad zones. But you have an Instrument - let's say a Tom something - you can make a copy from it and then you edit the copy and assign to it's rim zone a china sound. Then save that instrument and assign it to the AUX2 input. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by pumpal; 03-01-18, 01:16 PM.
                  TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

In Roland, you assign tones to the pad zones. In aD5 you assign instruments to the pad as a wholke but can edit/copy the instruments. Each pad has number of zones. Then each instrument also has number of zones. You can choose freely the sound that plays on each zone of a given instrument. You can not assign directly different instrument/sound to the separate pad zones. But you have an Instrument - let's say a Tom something - you can make a copy from it and then you edit the copy and assign to it's rim zone a china sound. Then save that instrument and assign it to the AUX2 input. Hope that makes sense.

Exactly! You can assign multiple sounds from different instruments to multiple pad zones. You only need to create a new instrument and assign to each zone the different sounds you need..
                    Last edited by Walse; 03-01-18, 12:25 PM.

Comment

ok.. ..i didn't know this.. i learned something new .. i edited my post .. thanx ..

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                        ok.. ..i didn't know this.. i learned something new .. i edited my post .. thanx ..
                        It took me a while to figure it initially too .. it's section 7 page 21 of the manual .
                        TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

OK, I got my module and 18" ride cymbal in the mail yesterday and have gotten everything hooked up. It was a piece of cake- the harness was really quick, as was mounting the unit. I've only just turned it on and cycled through the 11 kits- I'm noting that cymbals are way loud, so obviously I'll need to go in and adjust levels to my liking. Same goes for setting up triggering. I don't care for the kick drum on the Jazz Legacy or Be Bop 64 kits, but just about all of these kits have something cool to offer!

Right out of the box, this unit sounds so much more "real" than my old Roland unit (exactly what I was expecting, as my Roland unit is quite old). Looking forward to monkeying around over the next few days.

Comment

Cool! Next step visit the sound store and download some more instruments ..
                            Last edited by pumpal; 03-03-18, 02:01 PM.
                            TAMA MetroJam2 TRB A2E

Comment

Cool! Next step visit the sound store and download some more instruments ..
                              Yup! Just visited this morning and downloaded some instruments for the "Rocky Road" kit. I posted in the aD5 Store Has Been Quiet thread. Really digging what I'm hearing thus far.

Comment

Working...
                              X