Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Roland TD50KV or Pearl Mimic Pro with ATV aDrums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the ATV hi hat and ride and only played the pads at NAMM. I thought they were the closest to acoustic drums but I have not had a set at home to work with. I liked how the head moved without a center cone. I could not get any of the triggers to hot spot when I was testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
      What issues are you having with the VH-13 HiHat? I currently have both the ATV aDrums and the TD50KV, I may be able to help. I recently sold my Mimic as it was not meeting my current needs and was missing some features plus I had to thin down my eKit arsenal.
      Chance27 I'm contemplating upgrading my TD-30SKE kit by swapping/adding the TD-50 Digital Upgrade Pack. However, another option would be to sell my entire kit and start fresh. Though I'm a little leery of doing so, one of the options I'm intrigued by is coupling the TD-50 module (as well as potentially the digital snare and ride) with the adrum kit. Based on your experience, is that something you would recommend? Have you been happy with that setup? Any issues to report? Thanks very much for any input you can provide!
      Last edited by tommyhip; 01-04-19, 03:07 PM.
      TD-30KSE - contemplating the TD-50 digital upgrade package...

Comment

Originally posted by pro60 View Post
        Im considering selling my entire Roland set up - TD50KV, and buying the ATV aDrums standard kit and a Mimic Pro to replace it.
        Ive really grown weary of the TD50 even with Superior Drummer, the hi hat is still an issue.
        I can't find anywhere local that stocks the ATV kit for me to try it, so I'm hoping to get some input from forum members who have experience with both.
        Any input greatly appreciated.
        Thank you!
        You need to disable some of the transitions in the SD3 high hat, open 5 for example. You can get a good tight to open transition with the cymbals lightly touching at it's open setting in SD3 but I agree there is too much of a gap between the closed sounds and completely open sound of the high hat. I haven't figured it out anyway. I never use a completely open high hat setting acoustically so it works for me. SSD5 HH has nice transition although it kind of suddenly opens, but no glitch. I would imagine the Mimic is better. You need to set your midi control HH # border in the TD-50 to around 76- 90 to get a nice trigger from open to closed in SSD5. You might try and get the SD3 high hat in useable closed to open without worrying about them touching a bit at the most open level so you can use it even with the Mimic. I am a big fan of the newer tom rim shot articulations and zoning features and bow tip cymbal articulations in SD3 and all the vintage kits and libraries to choose from. Smoothing is also a great feature that SD3 doesn't default to and you need to manually set the voice and layer settings to unlimited to benefit from the multiple hits available for soft, gradient, and hard hits. Much to unlock in SD3. I've considered getting a Mimic with a 12" ATV snare and CY-15R but I so quickly tire of the SSD5 library and it's lack of aforementioned articulations and it triggers quite well with the TD-50. You might try downloading the free SSD5 kit and play it a bit with your TD-50 and see if you like it. Also it might be wise to see what comes out of the aftermath of NAMM as we enter 2019. I'm hoping there will be an SD4 solution to the HH eventually and there is the speculation of a digital high hat coming from Roland although I've been hearing that for a while now.

Comment

Replying 1 year old post is often not good idea, prog60 don't even use edrum anymore but use acoustic drum. Keep in mind some people learned from their own experience that count and changed to others, each one have it's own limit and own capability\ tweaking to death\ sound engineers is not for all and others use edrum as hobbyists buying and selling multiple kit\module within a year ⛽ at will. I know position sensing is not important at all for many for example, same as using vst is not option, or understanding what is threshold etc..
          Last edited by Chris K; 01-04-19, 05:04 PM.

Comment

You’re absolutely right Chris I wasn’t paying attention to the date at all. I could swear I was in the recent posts section. You make good points. I am constantly tweaking and trying things out and find the experience both exciting and infuriating. I do love the e drums though, maybe someone will benefit from my tinkering. I have learned a lot here even from old posts. My apologies for not paying attention to time lines and exploring the forum rather haphazardly and maybe too enthusiastically.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post
              You’re absolutely right Chris I wasn’t paying attention to the date at all. I could swear I was in the recent posts section. You make good points. I am constantly tweaking and trying things out and find the experience both exciting and infuriating. I do love the e drums though, maybe someone will benefit from my tinkering. I have learned a lot here even from old posts. My apologies for not paying attention to time lines and exploring the forum rather haphazardly and maybe too enthusiastically.
              I think your previous post was great and full of lots of useful info for members of the forum, myself included. So thanks!

E Kit 3: ATV aDrums extended kit; Roland TD30; Superior Drummer 3 (2018)
              E Kit 2: Roland TD 10 and Roland and Yamaha pads (1997)
              E Kit 1: Emax Sampler, Roland Octapad, DDrum pads, acoustic cymbals (1988)
              A Kit: Ayotte drums; UFIP, Sabian and Paiste Cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by grtriage View Post

I think your previous post was great and full of lots of useful info for members of the forum, myself included. So thanks!
                Hear Hear!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                  I also sold the Roland digital pack plus VH13 to get the Mimic,and ATV ride and hi hat. I wanted a 14 inch snare so I had drone trigger make a high quality 10 arm trigger. I still prefer the ATV snare but hope for a 14 inch version. I was told at NAMM that " I may not be disappointed" in hoping for that.
                  If they do a 14" snare I may end up with my 13 as a side snare. Have to wait and see I guess.

Mimic+DDTI, ATV aDrums (3 up, 2 down, 3x16" Crash, 1x18" Ride, 1x10" Splash, 1x12" Splash, 1x17" China, 1x14" Hat), Dual CowPaddy, 2xBT1, SPD-SX, Trick Pro1V2 Pedals/Hihat

Comment

Working...
                  X