Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Double bass drive shaft/snare stand positioning suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double bass drive shaft/snare stand positioning suggestions?

I got the KD 120 on a V Pro with an iron cobra double pedal and I'm curious about how people position the pedal in relation to the snare stand.

Currently I have the drive shaft behind the snare stand (relative to me), but very close. The snare head seems to be nustled under Tom 1 but the snare stand legs barely squeeze between each bass pedal. I have the snare stand angled with the "offset angle attachment" coming from behind the main stand shaft, which seems right.

I'm new at this and my major goal is to get some double bass speed for death metal music (don't laugh!!), and my setup just feels awkward. Is there a "right" way, or is this something I need to play with?

I've been reading people's speed suggestions in the old posts and they work nicely. Also, for speed, should I have the pedal springs tight or loose? How about the drum/knocker distance? The position of the adjustible ballance weight on the knocker shaft?

Welcome to the party DC.
    I think the right thing to do is sit at your kit without your pedals there and place your feet where they feel most natural to you. Then put your pedals there!
    What I did was after many years playing a double bass acoustic set was move my number 1 tom to the left rack section and my number 2 and 3 toms are centered on the center section. Number 4 is the only tom on the right section. This centers the toms. My snare is centered between my legs and the pedals are right where my feet land when I sit facing straight ahead. The toms are more like four rack toms rather than two mounted and two floor toms. It seemed more comfortable to play double bass with this configuration. At least for me.

Comment

Arriguy, where do you put the hi hat with that configuration?

Comment

I found that the only way I could get the pedals in position was to retract the legs of the snare stand up a little so that the D/B shaft wasn't hitting against it. It takes away a little of the stability from the snare stand but seems to work well giving me more room to position the pedals. I'm not a real hard hitter so it may work for some depending?

K
        http://members.home.net/playing-drums/images

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sky10 (edited September 03, 2001).]
        Kyle Davids
        Lefty's Hip Pocket
        My Inspiration

Comment

I agree with arriguy. eddie zen.

Comment

I have a double braced snare stand, and know exactly what you are talking about. There are stands with relatively flat leg extensions that will slide under the the double bass cam arm connection, but an angle braced stand can require some careful placement consideration. Click on the last pic "topdrums" on this page: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dr_kildru...Vdrums&.view=t if you are interested in how I address the placement. I find that placement you will see very comfortable to me (same as my acoustic kit(s), but you should do what is most comfortable for you. I actually placed the kick and snare first, and then put the rack and other pads in place around them, when initially hammering out my general e-setup. I did not have to retract the legs on the snare stand at all, but I could if needed, and gain a few more inches without losing much stability.

Comment

DC, I just noticed I didn't answer your previous long ago question, so here it is. With that first tom very far forward, there is plenty of room for the high hat to stay pretty much where it started out. I took almost everything off the rack and just started from scratch.

Comment

Working...
              X