Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Yamaha EAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha EAD

Yammy's up to something for triggering / mic'ing acoustics? Release Nov 13th. Perhaps a Gen16 for drums?
    Video that shows nothing:
    https://www.facebook.com/YamahaMusic...1927040281943/.
    But ends with this logo:
    https://trademarks.justia.com/872/19/ead-87219270.html
    "Microphones; piezoelectric sensors; electronic drum triggers; electrical pickups for use with musical instruments; audio amplifiers; audio mixers; audio signal processors; electronic sound effects for musical instruments, namely, digital multi-effects sound processor; amplifiers for musical instruments; electronic tone generators; computer software for playing music; computer software for controlling audio apparatus; metronomes; electronic control modules, namely, sound processing units for drums"
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

OK - we can see a DT50S trigger on the snare - so what's the new electronics it's plugged in to ...?

image_31443.png
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

Since the drummers are wearing headphones in the demos, Iíd guess itís simply an acoustic triggered module. Basically like triggering directly to VST through a module with an acoustic kit, without involving a computer. Thatís just a guess. It looks like theyíre trying to bypass mics altogether. Many drummers would love this in the live environment. Many big time hired pros already do this through traditional VST setups to the FOH.
      Alan
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I think Alan's got it right, though the trademark application covers a very broad range of goods. I seems like drum replacement software (think SD3's "Tracker") and VST's in a single box, maybe? By "changing the way we practice" I'm thinking it means a much more enjoyable practicing experience because we don't have to listen to LOUD ACOUSTIC DRUMS, but we still get to practice on our acoustics. From the photo and this comment "You don't really need to put a hundred microphones. You just put those, and that's all." In the photo of the module/box there are just a few connections in the back. My guess: kick, snare and two overheads?

Thinking forward, if the core is essentially a "VST in a box", like the Mimic, it should be able to operate as an eDrum module with a trigger interface. Maybe that's next?

EAD = Electro-acoustic Drums?

One thing for sure... This is the best year in edrumming, ever. Mimic Pro, aDrums, Strike, and now this...
        Last edited by jpsquared482; 11-10-17, 08:12 AM.
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Tomorrow should be an interesting day from Yamaha...
          ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Still censored. Not very interesting.
            "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Perhaps Yamaha US who posted it are still in bed?

Comment

Update: We've got it on this side of the pond. Here you go:
                https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...d10/index.html

Last edited by electrodrummer; 11-13-17, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks, so it is a 3 input with microphone drum stompbox type thingy for recording. All for the amazing price of $500 plus cost of extra trigger.
                  Not really sure who this is marketed towards. Just another thing to setup and worry about at the gig. For a quality (?) recording from a single mic?
                  ​​​​​​​Maybe not fully sure of it's use.
                  "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Here's Simon giving it going over which explains it better: Got some 4-6 trigger inputs, 700 ish sounds, then all the mic processing for the acoustic sounds, etc.

Last edited by electrodrummer; 11-13-17, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Wow, quite interesting! What do you think will happen using this with tuned Silentstrokes and L80s??

Comment

This things don't replace individual mic pro recording, its more addons, like Roland TM2 new generation, more advanced, its good idea for quick easy things + hybrid stuff and the price is right,
                        Last edited by Chris K; 11-13-17, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Well, I was 10% right.. I guess. lol They should sell dozens of those.

Eh, I can see an application by some that will enjoy it. Just not for me, really.
                          Alan
                          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Originally posted by vhdrums View Post
                            Wow, quite interesting! What do you think will happen using this with tuned Silentstrokes and L80s??
                            Will probably sound horrible unless you trigger the Silentstrokes

Comment

Perhaps I'm the odd one out, but I see no use for the EAD. For quick recordings of acoustic drums, it's already easy to use portable digital audio, portable digital video recorders, or smart phones. For adding effects, there are already a variety of pedals and small rack devices. I guess the EAD puts recorder, effects, and a metronome all in the same device, but the microphone unit is separate and requires cables, which is inconvenient. In the electronic drum world, the EAD also seems like a non-starter because it requires acoustic drums played at acoustic drum volume. Therefore, my reaction to the EAD is one of disappointment followed by irrelevance. I'm hoping to see new e-drum products from Yamaha, but the EAD isn't remotely what I'm looking for.
                              Last edited by TangTheHump; 11-13-17, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X