2 New Roland Drum Products to be announced on the 13th of September

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ficl off View Post
    I owned a TD-4KP. Pretty basic. Small, rubbery, shaky, horrible module.

This TD-1KPX2 is all mesh heads.

I bet this TD-1 module sucks, am I right? Even worse than the TD-4?
    Yeah, it's aimed at all the rock band kids... again, nothing wrong with that...

Comment

Originally posted by walkinded View Post
      Roland don't care about mimic Pro, ATV or Drumit 3, the masses of hobbyists will still buy roland Vdrums, nothing wrong with that...
      Exactly. They have the market share and the enthusiast modules probably won't make a dent in their sales. I'm guessing they sell low end kits by the boat load.

Comment

I also owned a TD4-KP. Light and ultra portable but I sold it after 2 months, the pads it came with really did a job on your wrists/hands playing gigs.

This new TD-1KPX2 is mounted on the exact same chassis as the 4KP but with PDX mesh pads, black CY-5's instead of white, and a TD-1 module. No thanks.

Comment

i bet that, too, but you can always upgrade the module - you can't fold up a full drumset to fit in a large bag.
          New kit in progress: 3 Pintech 10 inch Concertcast Dual Zone pads, Pintech PC10 (hi-hat)
          Yamaha PCY100 on the way

Comment

I'm not sure why I expected anything other then disappointment. I was really hoping that when I saw the SPD-SX SE, it would have some functionality upgrades. Maybe additional routing or something. But as I can see from the press release, it's functionally identical. Since I've put a 32GB SD inside mine, I have no desire for the "upgrade". Especially not at the extra 150 it's been put up for online (749 compared to its current 599)

Comment

Last edited by RandyD; 09-13-17, 09:26 AM.
              My e-kit, photos and details

Comment

This TD-1KPX2 is all mesh heads.

I don't see how this is new. I ordered this kit from the UK last December. It was my entry into Roland (40+ year drummer, new to the Roland brand). As I detailed in another thread, I've replaced every part of this kit RAPIDLY! The TD-1 module is incredibly unspectacular. Decent price point for kids or those just wanting to mess around.

What attracted me was the folding rack which I needed for the MOST portability I could find as I was on the road, but I really didn't want rubber pads. For some reason the kit they just released WASN'T available in North America but WAS available in the UK???!?? So that's what I ordered.

The only thing I can see that's different is the raised hihat mount. It looks to be about 4" tall now and was previously about 1" which IS an improvement.
                Bringing my freaky-looking monster e-kit to classic rock! In the Toronto area? Come check us out at a gig near you.
                Please take a sec to Like my band's Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/wickedtruthband/

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsc View Post
                  Since I've put a 32GB SD inside mine, I have no desire for the "upgrade". Especially not at the extra 150 it's been put up for online (749 compared to its current 599)
                  Exactly what I did too. As I mentioned, I'm still new to Roland but for a "new" release I'd have expected the SPD-SX SE to at least have something more boosted under the hood. I guess this makes me happy though, or at least my wallet.
                  Bringing my freaky-looking monster e-kit to classic rock! In the Toronto area? Come check us out at a gig near you.
                  Please take a sec to Like my band's Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/wickedtruthband/

Comment

What I expected, but getting sick of these iPhone-like updates. lol
                    Alan

Comment

Roland's attitude with their drum products (and other products, I suppose) reminds me so much of Nintendo's outlook when it comes to their games consoles.

They don't really consider themselves as being in competition with the other manufacturers - rarely do they take on board the technological advances of other companies nor the audience's requests for particular features. Nintendo's decision to bow out of the "technological arms race" parallels Roland's reliance on older technology and minimal upgrades and their mediocre online services aren't dissimilar to Roland's inability to rework systems to match current user needs.

They both rely heavily on the repackaging of their older, popular products. All the recent mini variations of older synths is similar to what Nintendo started doing recently with their NES, and now SNES, Classic Mini consoles. Slightly upgraded but also much more compact and sometimes with a loss of functionality or odd design decisions. They also capitalise on nostalgia and their past work often being thought of as superior to their current output.

They seem to prioritise profitability of their products over other factors, which also ties into the above. Although Nintendo have taken a few missteps along the way with their judgement of what would be popular, even their flops rarely ever lost them money. They rarely do the whole loss-leading thing, which Roland clearly never do either with their prices!

I have no idea if this means much to anyone on here (I have a feeling the gaming population on this forum is somewhat limited ), but it's interesting to compare these two very large Japanese companies.
                      Last edited by Pulsc; 09-13-17, 10:30 AM. Reason: Accidentally posted too soon!

Comment

I have a TD-4KP kit as a practice kit at home ...I replaced the pads with used PD-85's and replaced the brain with a TD-9 and added a cy-12 ....Its a great kit now and even though it wont fit in my bag ,it folds up and I can easily walk away with it and have even used it on very small stages ....and it probably sounds better since I have Vexed it ...lol

Comment

Michael Schack said on Facebook the SPDX has been reprogrammed to make better use of the 16 gigs. I can see it is popular for drummers needing to trigger loops and sound effects live. If you could already put a 32 gig card in it I don't see the benefit. Apparently there is a price increase as well. I would have hoped for multivelocity sounds. We are still stuck in the 80's.

Comment

SPD-SX Special Edition.
                            TD-1KPX2.

*Yawn.*
                            *More yawning.*
                            *And, even more yawning.*
                            Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-13-17, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Yep,
                              What we don't need = a red spd-sx.
                              What we don't want = a TD-1.
                              Never buy special edition anything.
                              All the excitement came from sponsored players or employees?
                              "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                                I'm not sure why people are expecting major releases in September. lol
                                Just sayin'. lol
                                Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X